Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone pulled their CFL ligament in their ankle? Recovery time?
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hey,

just wondering if anyone had pulled their lateral CFL ligament in their ankle before from overuse?

I just have a dull ache in that area now and a bit of stiffness. No big ankle sprain to speak of, but I did roll it a very small amount a few weeks ago. No pain after the incident so carried on as usual.

Anyone got any advise? Do I keep it moving etc? Complete rest isn’t really possible as I have 2 small children :/

Thanks

Rob

docgeoffyjones

I have not pulled it but I have been diagnosed with tendonitis in that area. I have seen a physio and I am doing a daily routine of massage stretching and then icing and it seems to work. Mine got quite bad so it is taking a long time to get better.
    The massage is across the tendon just with my fingers. The direction is up down i.e. ball of ankle down to heel. I normally do this for about 5 minutes and find it works best with my foot flat on a surface
    Then I do the stretching which is simply rotating my foot outwards about 10 times. The aim is to work in the pain free range of motion and gently expand this.
    I try to do that 3 to 4 times a day.
    In the evenings I sit again with my foot flat on the sofa and an ice pack propped up against the side of my ankle.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Ah, thanks.

After doing a bit of reading it looks like it’s the peroneal tendon not the cfl.

I can ride my bike without pain, it’s more a problem walking about.

So good stretches and massaging the way forward.

Going to book in with a Physio and get it confirmed.

Thanks for the replay 🙂

giddyrob
    Free Member

BTW, did they advise to strap the ankle at all?

Wearing my walking boots at the mo to help support it, but maybe a bit of bandage strapping might help.

docgeoffyjones

I tried wearing a support but i found it put pressure directly on the tendon which hurt more than not wearing one. I will ask my physio today about supports

docgeoffyjones

My physio said she did not think a support would help in my case. If you have one it might be worth trying as it might work for you.

She has given me a band and I am now doing the same stretches but with a band looped around my foot. During the stretching I pull on the inside leg end of the band to create a resistance to work against to help strengthen the muscles.

Hope this is useful to you and I hope you don’t have to wait too long to see a physio.

Andy

giddyrob
    Free Member

Thanks Andy,

Well, going to try some braces to help it rest. Might be worth wearing when biking too as they give extra support to stop my ankle rolling. Easily done when on the trials.

I’m crossing fingers this will just settle down as it only started a week ago. Think my calves are tight and did a bit too much riding :/ Back to the stretches!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone pulled their CFL ligament in their ankle? Recovery time?’ is closed to new replies.