Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone point me in direction of "return to running program"
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

looking for a bit of a structured training program for a return to running

used to run 5k in 17.5/18 mins – never really got any further than that distance or speedwise but id knock out 5/8k 2 or 3 times a week with 2 coached sessions – when at uni.

that slipped when training to ride faster and its been 5 years since i did any serious running training – ive ran in races – and felt like shit the next week – and results were poor. but really need to get back on the wagon – and no bike for 6 weeks provides good time !

am i really back at beginner level "walk one lampost run one lampost" ?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

http://www.C25K.com for a back to basics plan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

well thats that started – mentioned my intentions in the office today and was dragged out on a 5k run tonight in 30degree heat and 95% humidity – actually felt better than any other time ive tried to run – will see what im like tomorrow !

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sounds like you were pretty quick – should come back very soon if you ease back into it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

am i really back at beginner level "walk one lampost run one lampost" ?

I doubt you are tbh. Once you've started doing it regularly & frequently, it'll come back. You might not reach the times you're talking about for your 5ks any time soon, but you'll be amazed at how quickly it comes.

Once you've got back into it, enter a 10k locally. You'll be amazed how much comes off your /km time when you're in a race. Never ceases to amaze me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dd – very true. I knock about 30 secs off my training mins per mile in 10k races!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dd – very true. I knock about 30 secs off my training mins per mile in 10k races!

I was going to say I knock about 15-20 secs off per k (my forerunner is set to k splits since a German half-marathon…really must change it 🙂 ) for a 10k/half-marathon but didn't think anyone would believe me. But your 30 secs per mile about confirms that then. Weird isn't it? Doesn't feel like you're working especially harder.

Just guess, you're a lot more focused, and have taken nutrition & proper hydration a little more seriously before a race. That, the "herd mentality" and a bit of adrenaline obviously make all the difference.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

dd – indeed but I am also completely totalled at the end of each race and ache for days afterwards. When training recovery takes about 10 mins and no aches at all.

Competitive spirit definitely makes you work a lot harder.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm not at your AWESOME (said firmly with tongue in cheek fella) level of 10k…PB is only at 45. But I struggle to run a sub 50 in training…and that's even listening to The Pointer Sisters 🙂

I'd love to get closer to 40 but I prefer half-marathons to be honest. I just punctuate training with the odd 10k race to keep myself convinced I can turn in good times.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone point me in direction of "return to running program"’ is closed to new replies.