Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • anyone played fallout 4 yet? how are you finding it?
  • Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I need more copper wire – must stop get sleep.

Explore off the beaten track, I keep finding side things to do.

Drac

If you’ve found Lexington there’s a good supply of items with copper wire but it’s full of enemies. Found the supply while getting distracted with side quests.

Some good tips here no of them spoilers.

http://m.uk.ign.com/wikis/fallout-4/Things_Fallout_Doesn’t_Tell_You

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Found Lexington, found a nuke too at and old scrap yard. Look out for the factory area, tough.

Drac

Yeah I tried to clear that without power armour it didn’t go well, so I went back with some vengeance, suited and booted. Haven’t spotted the nuke I’ll take a look later.

McHamish
    Free Member

I think the power armour suits are found near particularly difficult places…I was struggling with a building as someone had a minigun. Found a suit nearby and went back in….minigun’s mine now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve never played any Fallout games, but ads have sucked me in a bit.

What it’s like? mindless shooter or more in-depth? I’ve got an okayish PC (i5 2400 3.1Ghz, 8GB RAM and a GTX750Ti GPU) but I only get an hour, maybe two a week to play – is it going to be months before I do anything fun?

Drac

I think the power armour suits are found near particularly difficult places…I was struggling with a building as someone had a minigun. Found a suit nearby and went back in….minigun’s mine now.

I’ve a got a fatboy gun and another power suite problem is I stored it somewhere and forgot where. As it’s stored rather than left it’s not showing on the map.

What it’s like? mindless shooter or more in-depth? I’ve got an okayish PC (i5 2400 3.1Ghz, 8GB RAM and a GTX750Ti GPU) but I only get an hour, maybe two a week to play – is it going to be months before I do anything fun?

Very in depth. I’ve no idea how it’ll run as I gave up with PC gaming as find it easier now just to use a console. It’ll take months either way but you can jump on and do little bits each time.

Creg

I caved in and got it, done a couple of hours so far.

Currently in Concorde having just nailed a Deathclaw. Seems a lot smoother and slicker than previous Fallout games. Graphics seem to be nicely done in parts too. It seems to have quicker gameplay than the other two.

Looking forward to seeing how the game progresses.

P-Jay it might work ok on your system at medium settings, there are some gameplay vids on youtube of people with the same graphics card as you which might give a rough idea of performance. From what I’ve seen seems to be around the 30-35fps area on ultra settings.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Creg, that was exactly the info I needed, looks like my older CPU will wipe the floor with an i3 that runs it happily with the same GPU.

Sucks that I’m still off work for the next 2 weeks 😀

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I got the t51 power armour from the national guard centre. Issue I have is I keep putting stuff into my workstations at sanctuary and they disappear! Bloody annoying when guns go.

Creg

Creg, that was exactly the info I needed, looks like my older CPU will wipe the floor with an i3 that runs it happily with the same GPU.

FWIW I’m running it on ultra settings using a core i5 4590 and a GTX 970 and I get a solid 60fps. Put your system into the Game Debate website and it will tell you where you fall short although take their suggestions with a pinch of salt 😉

Take a look at Digital Foundry though as they seemed to have an issue with AMD GPU’s (its in one of their videos, GTX970 vs r9 390 at 1080p and 1440p), I think AMD might have been a bit lacklustre with their driver updates (again…)

racefaceec90

well i have finally bought fallout 4 yesterday for my xbox one.lovely looking game i have to say (am just at the start after leaving vault 111).

any advice for a fallout numpty (i have always found fallout 3 and now this a lot more difficult to get my head around than elder scrolls games i have to admit).

i have found the Alsatian dog (will call him killer or munchkin,haven’t decided yet 🙂 and garage,and have picked up nearly everything i have found so far (good job i added strength to my character perks eh 😉

the main thing is that i just don’t have a clue as to where to begin exploring/crafting stuff e.t.c. the options are just huge as to the freedom of choice).

just wish i could find one of those armoured motorized body suits with chain gun (and reach master level lock picking to get that cool gun that’s in the vault 111 in a sealed case).

Drac

You should find a suit soon after finding dog meat a mission will point you to it.

It will also help you with crafting initially but I wander around a lot of the time but that said I’ve no payed for a month or more.

racefaceec90

have just got the power armour after doing the mission you said drac. jesus that deathclaw was a bad mofo to say the least 😯 i seemed to have unloaded half a minigun clip into it and yet it was still rampaging towards me (then it did get to me and dropped me to the ground,luckily i managed to kill it then 😮

just returned to the garage and left the power suit there (need to repair an arm and leg i think) i need to get another power cell for it (along with more minigun ammo 😆

i hope not to see another deathclaw for a very long time.

great game though 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

Deathclaws are pussies, you can take them down with a rapid 10mm. Legendary Alphas, on the other hand are a bit more tricky though either will run away if you hit them hard enough. Legendary glowing ghouls are shitbags, you need to blow their legs off before taking time on pot shots.

I’m only level 22 but have ranked up loads of my kit. Armour and weapons crafting should be made a priority, blacksmith and science secondary. I have never used power armour besides that first mission, I have about six suits now, a mix of T41, T51 and Raider armour. I think I have about 20 fusion cores, a top tip I was given was to never let them run dry, always eject on the last bar as you can use depleted cores again as if from new.

Also shaun? Who is, oh yeah… Main mission has been solidly ignored!

olddog

I have invested (wasted?) a huge amount of time in this game. Level 44 I think now. There are a couple of good top tips guides in the Guardian but whether you use depends how much of a purist you are in working stuff out for yourself. But sruff isn’t always obvious in the game like setting up supply routes between settlements if you go down the route of building them up. Generally very impressed – interesting side questions and characters, but can be a bit clunky at times and lots of repetitive kill the raiders type missions which you don’t have to do, but I am a bit of a completionist

volatilemike
    Free Member

I got to about level 55 before I got bored and Im a huge fallout fan. Money well spent as I played over 100 hours. As a whole package its better than previous games but I miss the skill points/perk system from the 3/NV.

Its definitely missing some of the cool/creepy stories that were in the other games though. That said it was still awesome fun.

richmtb

Love Fallout 4.

I’m just putting the finishing touches to my three storey mansion in Sanctuary, complete with bar and pool table!

Like squirrelking I’ve barely used power armour, you don’t really need it

I’m Level 34

For a new player I would say the best advice is follow the Minuteman story line initially, the first mission are pretty straight forward ans should get you some good XP and weapons.

Once you are passed level 10 and aren’t getting killed by every random encounter you can start to explore a bit more.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Completely hooked on this now. I’m level 24, at 25 I get the next level of gun nut perk that gives me access to more powerful gun mods. I wouldn’t get too carried away with the strength skill unless you build a melee character and want to carry shed-loads of stuff. Once you get a companion you can use them to carry stuff for you anyway, even dogmeat can carry stuff. I’ve based myself in Sanctuary, and I head back there regularly to store loot/junk in the workbenches, mod weapons and armor and cook stuff. Found some amazing weapons – Deliverer, Fusil Terrible, Reba 2, Kellogs pistol – used the latter to drop a legendary alpha deathclaw quite easily (with the help of a nuka quantum) I love this game 😀

EDIT : as others said, I never use power armour

legend
    Free Member

Wasn’t expecting to enjoy an ‘open’ game lie Fallout at all….. was up until 1 playing it last night, now in work with a heavy coffee dependency to see me through

wilko1999
    Free Member

Also, playing Fallout 3 and NV in the past I heavily relied on the VATS system, but this time I rarely use it at all. It’s good now and again and to use the criticals but the shooting seems pretty good without it now which I’m very pleased about 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

Got this for xmas, right after I updated my graphics card to something quite pokey. It’s awesome, I’ve not played anything else other than Fallout 4 for a month. Every time I play, I find something new.

The difficulty level is spot on, the quests and character interactions are engaging and the retro-futurist feel is brilliantly done.

I keep finding Hollywood film locations, perhaps the most memorable was the War of the Worlds type row of clapboard houses underneath an elevated motorway. I’ve even found a bar that’s a dead ringer for the bar in Cheers.

richmtb

Oh and a couple more tips

Even if you can’t be bothered with the settlement aspect of the game its good to develop Sanctuary a little bit and use it as a base to store all of your loot.

I stick junk directly into the workshop and have made separate boxes for spare weapons and armour / clothes makes it easier to keep track of stuff.

You’ll want to mod guns pretty early on as it can make even basic weapons much more powerful so invest in the Gun Nut perk.

The main limitations to modding weapons are finding enough screws and adhesive.

Screws are best obtained from scrapped objects. Best sources early in the game are Desk Fans, Type writers and Hot Plates. Never walk past one of these when you are exploring always take them!

You can make adhesive at your settlement by growing Corn, Tatos and Mutfruit and combining it at a cooking station to make vegetable starch

Ammo weighs nothing so carry all of it even ammo you can’t currently use you might find a gun that can use it on your travels!

legend
    Free Member

I’ve even found a bar that’s a dead ringer for the bar in Cheers.

Dude, it’s set in Boston….. 😉

wilko1999
    Free Member

Also investing in the scrapper perk makes it far easier to stock up on screws – scrap all the rubbish weapons that raiders etc drop and you end up with stacks of them. Also collect any meat/remains of animals you encounter and kill, they almost always are ingredients you can use for cooking all kinds of non-radiated food with great health benefits and very often have stat boosts too.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Haven’t found the Cheers bar yet, but Salem was pretty cool along with the Museum of Witchcraft

Gunz
    Free Member

Interesting to hear that someone else isn’t using VATS that much, I’d much rather manoeuvre into position and snipe under my own power. I’ve built up an extended, heavy receiver combat shotgun that can finish off a deathclaw in about 5 shots.

Is anyone bothering with the Gamma Pistol much?

Daffy

I have to play once PhD work is finished and the family has gone to bed…02:00 bed time this morning….

I’m racking up quite the arsenal at the moment, though I’m still not quite sure about the .50 cal sniper rifle. Don’t get me wrong, the ability to obliterate a torso is quite spectacular, but the recoil, even fully modded out, is ridiculous.

Weapon(s) of choice so far is a Marksman combat rifle.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Haven’t used the gamma pistol at all. My main pistol is the upgraded Deliverer. Also got the unique shotgun Les Fusil Terribles – good base damage (also massively upgradeable), +25% damage and +25% limb damage and importantly a 32 round drum mag for just mowing hoards of enemies down.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I hated this to start with, it was on ebay within a few hours, but I tried it again & am now a huge fan, never played fallout game before.
    I have no interest in building or crafting stuff, so not messing with creating cities & the guns I use are as I find them.
    I dont know if this will eventually stop me progressing, I hope not.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Its definitely hugely beneficial to upgrade at least a few weapons. You could introduce yourself to this part of the game once you master the basics and level up a bit. The more I’ve played it the more I’ve experimented with the different elements of game-play including crafting, cooking etc and it really helps and adds something to the game.

olddog

I don’t use power armour but am heavy VATS user. My strategy is combination of sniping, sneaking and deliverer, or combat rifle/ shotgun when just have to kill every MF in the room. My favourite tactic is to sneak through groups of ghouls taking a leg off with deliverer in VATs and then dogmeat finish them off.

Not massively built up sanctuary but opened up lots of settlements across coonwealth and all linke with supply routes and equipped with recruitment beacons. Make sure enough beds, defense, food, water etc. Not sure why, just feel like I’m taking back the commonwealth for civilisation. Progressively doing all the missions to clear buildings etc.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I’ve been rocking the Arthur Dent build. Not much charisma or strength but a whole load of luck and a very nice dressing gown. And some spectacles. And the Overseers Guardian 😀

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve finished the main story but still loads of side quests to do. I found the local leader perk to set up supply routes and minuteman artillery support a good combo.

By building artillery at each settlement I’ve got most of the map covered. Supermutants? Artillery. Raider base? Artillery. Pesky Stingwing thing? Artillery. Basically there are few problems massive guns have failed to solve!

richmtb

I’ve got a 50 caliber sniper rifle that deals with most stuff before it gets too close (Called “One Shot”)

An upgraded Combat Shotgun “Limb Remover” takes care of anything that gets too close

And I keep a Combat Rifle handy for more general killing duties

A good tip is to avoid modding you weapon to automatic. They are less powerful, use more ammo and are generally less accurate. You can invest a few perk points in the Rifleman perk and make all the semi auto weapons more powerful instead

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just started playing this and am enjoying it so far. The minigun just didn’t touch the deathclaw and I kept getting killed. I realised I can climb on top of certain buildings and he couldn’t get through narrow gaps so I ended up stood on a balcony shooting at it.

Looking forward to specking up my weapons and armour, I just started on that last night and need more glue.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have poisoners DB shotgun, better stats than a regular combat shotgun with advanced reciever but can be a PITA waiting to reload.

Assaultron with “Will It Blend?” hands sucks ass, need something more powerful although jumping around like an idiot before allowing it to fire its face laser seems to be the best tactic.

Gamma pistol is rubbish, might try the electro upgrade but if thats no good it’ll be getting binned along with pipe guns (which I don’t even pick up now). Need to seriously pare down my collection I think as I’m carrying far too much, the minibar doesn’t help…

legend
    Free Member

Anyone bothered using the Junk Jet? Had a bit of a play with it but it seems fairly crap

Torminalis
    Free Member

The Overseers Guardian is the gun of the game for me. It fires two projectiles for the price of one. When fully modded it can do more damage than a grenade but with the accuracy and fire rate of a normal combat rifle. Can be had for sale at Vault 81 and was the best thing I bought in the game.

10/10. Would massacre again.

nicko74

I’ve not started yet, still trying to find a few hours to get really stuck into it. But sad to hear this:

Its definitely missing some of the cool/creepy stories that were in the other games though.

Some of those stories in Fallout 3 were really compelling. Things like the guy who was fused into a tree; the various vaults and their experiments, and so on. It really made it stay with you hours after you stopped playing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘anyone played fallout 4 yet? how are you finding it?’ is closed to new replies.