Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • anyone packed in the corporate gig and gone self employed?
  • zyfy
    Free Member

been pretty disillusioned of late and often wonder is this the only thing im sposed to be doing..been self employed before and it really suited me and how im motivated..

anyone else done similar? ive got a few ideas to pay the mortgage..

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yep, led into it by redundancy Easter 2015.
    Contracting now, same craic with my new colleagues but none of the corporate BS. Pays better too

zyfy
    Free Member

ive not got that option but was gonna do something entirely different tbh or a mix of things…

eskay

Done it and gone back to corporate. The cotton wool environment (compared to self employed) and regular pay was too much of a draw.

I should add that I was designing and building one off pieces of engineering equipment, high cost, high risk and everyone wanted it for next to nothing (and wanted to pay for it many weeks after delivery). Constantly playing the credit account game and pay-day (mortgage day) came around frighteningly quickly (unlike now when payday seems to take forever).

In certain industries one person can only do so much in one working day. I think it may be different if you were selling off-the-shelf products (or lower cost, shorter lead time projects).

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes. Best. Do it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, been contracting now for 3yrs.
    Best thing I’ve done.

icicleboy
    Free Member

Things to consider.
    Holiday. You may well end up taking less holiday since you feel you are not earning and also spending so its a double impact. Plus, if there is work you will often take it and rinse it whilst it is there.
    Pension. An employer may offer a good pension which you probably wont be able to match
    Career progression. You are the boss and will always be the boss but there is no career progression to mention.

However, the rewards, as I am sure you are aware, are considerable. I prefer it but its not for all.

IHN

As a contractor

Holiday. You may well end up taking less holiday since you feel you are not earning and also spending so its a double impact. Plus, if there is work you will often take it and rinse it whilst it is there.

This is a mindset/budget thing. You should have it in your budgeting that you won’t be working for x weeks a year, for holidays and being between contracts, and have the mindset that in those weeks you’re not ‘losing’ money

Pension. An employer may offer a good pension which you probably wont be able to match

Disagree – these days you can probably fund a pension to a much greater degree than an employer is likely to do (unless you’re currently in a final salary scheme, in which case it’s a big decision)

Career progression. You are the boss and will always be the boss but there is no career progression to mention.

Agree, in fact this is the reason I’m currently considering taking a permie position.

wl
    Free Member

Went freelance 11 years ago and can’t imagine ever having a regular full-time job again. More variety, more free time, more satisfaction, no commute, and just enough money to enjoy a modest lifestyle in the location of my choice. There are disadvantages too, but they’re easily outweighed.

Stoner
    Free Member

what wl ^ said.

Went freelance in September 2006 and have had a charmed existence ever since. Am fortunate to be married to a solid earner to smooth out the lumpy periods. The most valuable thing I now have is time. I can combine being a housespouse* with work, and be around to annoy my kids much much more than is good for any of us.

It would take a huge tragedy and ructions in the stars for me to have to go back to corporate.

* new word I learnt from Twitter. Taking it for a test drive.

poolman
    Free Member

I would only go back for a stupidly high offer which isn’t ever going to happen. You cannot put a price on being control of your life. Best thing I ever did.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i keep thinking of it, just cant decided what to do, current finance/it systems type role, or a new direction of a career in the outdoors/travel area

nicko74

Yes, about a year ago. Too early to say if it’ll last into the long term, but it’s something I’d been mulling over for a couple of years, having grown increasingly cynical about the opportunities available in the corporate space.

It’s tough, tbh – the difference between being good at doing a thing and running your own gig that does that thing is large. I find the motivation part hard, and the sales side, and of course the uncertainty. The highs are higher and the lows lower, I reckon, in terms of how it feels.

But so far I’m not ready to jack it in and go back to corporate life, so I guess that means I’m finding it rewarding…

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Yup, today! Took voluntary redundancy, a change has been on the cards for some time, so took this as an opportunity to go self employed. In the position where I don’t need to earn much, so can afford to take time out to retrain, really looking forward to that. Work offers already coming in without looking so can keep money coming in.

john_drummer
    Free Member

What is Career Progression anyway? Is it simply jumping from being a team member to a team leader or manager? Or something else?

I have no desire to ever become a team leader or manager, nor do I have the skills / personality (imo).
    Yes skills can be learned but if you’re not a natural leader, can that be taught?

Is continuing to do what you are good at considered to be lack of career progression? Or lack of ambition? And why is that seen, if it is, as a bad thing?

IHN

What is Career Progression anyway? Is it simply jumping from being a team member to a team leader or manager? Or something else?

In my case, it’s getting a job doing something new that I know I can do and will be interested in, but there’s no way I’d get a contract doing it as I’ve not done it before. I’m lucky enough that there’s a permie position going at the place I’m currently contracting at, and because they now know me they too know that I would be good at it.

Plus, I get the permie experience, then go contracting again 🙂

BigJohn

I was fortunate enough to be able to build my business slowly until I became able to earn a reasonable living. If I’d depended on my earnings alone It wouldn’t have possible.

But I know that the desire to “do something entirely different” is usually a knee-jerk reaction and means that you have no relevant marketable skills.

Most people really want something pretty much the same as before, but with some of the crap taken away and a few more nice bits added.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Jibbed the corporate nonsense job 6 or 7 years ago now to go back into surveying / site engineering after a 20 year gap.

Love it and wouldn’t go back.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I lost my job after redundancies and have been running my.own business ever since.

I now work 3 days a week, 9 months a year and take home more than I did when employed. I can support the family on my own, but as my wife works (4 days a week in public sector) we manage to save.

Still would prefer my 3 month break to be in the summer, not winter, but I can handle that!

zyfy
    Free Member

ive got a few ideas so far but yeah ill maybe try and start it whilst employed as an initial buffer…some good tips there thanks

Kryton57

Interesting thread. After a set to with my manager over the last few days

a) he’s new to management
    b) he wouldn’t have authorised every Monday in August off for me to cover school hols, but seeing as the previous one did he’ll honour it
    c) And even though your off every Monday with the Kids, you need to try to be on the schedule Monday call every week
    d) I know your maxed to the eyeballs, have some more things to do.
    e) btw, you work for me, no one else.

Very fed up, feel like moving on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘anyone packed in the corporate gig and gone self employed?’ is closed to new replies.