Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • anyone owned an Africa twin ? ( or similar) your views/advice please
  • kaiser
    Free Member

I like dual sports type bikes for the ride position and versatility and am thinking of getting something which the missus can be transported on in more comfort than my dommie( not difficult and ruins my ride too!)
    Ok the ideal I suppose would be a GS but they’re so common and I think a bit ugly + a lot of dosh. I love the AT styling the only drawback is the lack of power but on the other hand i’m not a fast rider (certainly not top end wise) although do like decent acceleration.
    have also considered a Tiger but they are hopeless off road i here .
    3kish budget ..what do you think

BigJohn

Didn’t Madonna adopt one?

headfirst
    Free Member

How can you be sure its a twin, have you seen the other one in the same place at the same time?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had a Cagiva Elefant 900 (I bought my lad one too). One of the best off-road, but they use Italian electricity which is some tricky stuff. Went to the south of spain and back and took in a lot of off-road tracks in the mountains and the desert.

Africa Twins are horribly expensive. Triumphs are road bikes (the old ones, the new 800xc isn’t).

Personally I’d get a Yamaha Tenere 660. Incredible VFM compared to an ageing Africa Twin. But not a twin…

Some on-board footage from the Elefants…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7vVNCy00WI[/video]

druidh
    Free Member

robgarrioch of this forum is an owner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dad had one, sold it due to its general dull-ness.

Although his idea of a good bike is:
    Single Cylinder
    British
    Oil consumption on a level with fuel
    Noisy
    No wind protection

His one other forray into non british bikes was a Moto-Guzzi V50-II, which would preiodicaly emit wakky racers style smoke screens from its exhaust before carying on as if nothing had happened.

He quite enjoyed his MT500* apart from it’s lack of any meaningfull front brake too.

*kinda british, kinda austrian, kinda ammerican.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

I have a 650 transalp – had it for a year this week-20000 miles no probs-comfy,power not an issue for me as not a racer boy.
    Used every day to commute and at weekends for trips to Edinburgh or Snowdon (I’m in Swansea)
    I don’t need a bigger bike than that…

If you can get an AT in good condition go for it.

kaiser
    Free Member

I’d considered a transalp but thought they might be a little small .how good pillion wise? I presume the performance wouldn’t be a great deal more than my dommie?

kaiser
    Free Member

yam 660 tenere ..not going to find a good one at my budget!

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Longest run I ever did 2 up was to collect a mate from Bristol airport who was buying a car from a mate in my village-all motorway though no complaints-she’s a biker too.

Take a look at Honda Trail Bike Forums-lots of good advice on there-maybe someone who’ll help find you a bike too.

kaiser
    Free Member

MKchris ..did you find that her being on the back had any adverse affect on your bike control apart from the weight? I ask this cos on the dommie it’s awful 2 up ..not because of the weight but because the missus is squashed against me pressing me forward and cramping my style!

5thElefant
    Free Member

yam 660 tenere ..not going to find a good one at my budget!

Is £3750 £3k-ish enough?

not because of the weight but because the missus is squashed against me pressing me forward and cramping my style!

For around £100 you can get the seat rebuilt with king/queen style arse buckets which would solve the problem.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

AT seats not that comfy. Pillion does tend to slide into you. If you are doing a fair bit of two-up riding, singles not so hot. AT’s do suffer from fuel pump issues. But still a good second hand buy. Certainly better built than a Yam SuperTen.

mavisto
    Free Member

Don’t discount the Suzuki V-Strom. You can get a good deal on the DL1000 as they aren’t imported into the UK anymore (EU Emission Regs). Just bought a GS after trading in my Strom Grand Touring. The engine on the Strom is fantastic and incredibly smooth for a V twin. First big ride was a trip to Scandinavia.

Me and Travis in Norway by dsmavisto, on Flickr

Also own an AT that is poorly and off the road. I’ll be sorting that out later in the year

5thElefant
    Free Member

Strom is good suggestion. Have a look at AdvRider for all things Adventure Riding related.

finishthat
    Free Member

Depends how much off road you really want to do, a TDM900 may suit you for the two up stuff and have the riding position you enjoy, a smaller trail bike will be much more fun offroad exploring, big bikes offroad are possible but you need to get on one of those BMW training weekends to learn how to deal with them without ruining the fun

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘anyone owned an Africa twin ? ( or similar) your views/advice please’ is closed to new replies.