Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone owned a 650b 29er and a 26"?
  • I need to get an idea of what bikes best for £2300, I ride xc mostly, with the occasional steep technical singletrack, I need a bike like climbs like a gazelle, I’m talking super light, and decends relatively well!

Thinking full sus,

Should I got liteville 301 and custom build route?
    Poor get something like a cube 29er

Or even a canyons nerve

So many decisions, some spoon fed advice would be helpful!

T

tomhoward

You REALLY hate kittens, don’t you?

CountZero

Dunno why people get so get-up about 650B, it predates 26″ by a considerable margin, it was the standard adult bike wheel size, being the standard European touring wheel, while 700C was/is the racing wheel. We only use 26″ because the Americans ‘invented’ mountain biking, and that was the size of wheel used on adult cruiser bikes. I had a bike with 650B wheels, or 27.5″x 1.5″, with Avon CX tyres, a Sturmy 3-speed, and chrome cow-horn bars, that I rode ‘dirt-tracking’ forty-odd years ago. It’s the best compromise for an average size rider for general riding, having a slightly bigger circumference allowing better rolling over rough surfaces, without the cumbersome effects of using wagon-wheels, which really only suit riders well over six foot. If I was buying a new bike now, I’d go 650B, without hesitation.
    No voodoo about it, just common sense; a bigger wheel rolls better, but too big has it’s own issues.
    26″ is a stupid size for a mountain bike wheel, quite frankly, we have the yanks to thank for that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d go 650B, without hesitation.
    No voodoo about it, just common sense; a bigger wheel rolls better,

I’d go 650 too but more because that’s what’s available. From the ones I’ve tried any difference is very hard to perceive feel or measure. Almost that it doesn’t exist unless you want it to. Bikes are evolving and the best changes may be nothing to do with a fractional wheel change but coincidental to it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Dunno why people get so get-up about 650B, it predates 26″ by a considerable margin, it was the standard adult bike wheel size, being the standard European touring wheel, while 700C was/is the racing wheel. We only use 26″ because the Americans ‘invented’ mountain biking, and that was the size of wheel used on adult cruiser bikes. I had a bike with 650B wheels, or 27.5″x 1.5″, with Avon CX tyres, a Sturmy 3-speed, and chrome cow-horn bars, that I rode ‘dirt-tracking’ forty-odd years ago. It’s the best compromise for an average size rider for general riding, having a slightly bigger circumference allowing better rolling over rough surfaces, without the cumbersome effects of using wagon-wheels, which really only suit riders well over six foot. If I was buying a new bike now, I’d go 650B, without hesitation.
    No voodoo about it, just common sense; a bigger wheel rolls better, but too big has it’s own issues.
    26″ is a stupid size for a mountain bike wheel, quite frankly, we have the yanks to thank for that.
    Posted 8 hours ago # Report-Post

Yeah but if you re-read the question he didn’t ask for a history lesson with a bit of personal bias thrown in .

scotroutes

Super light, full suspension and a £2,300 budget don’t really go together, regardless of wheel size. I reckon you’d be best to prioritize your requirements and then come ask again.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m still also looking!!
    So nearly hit the trigger on this Wicked a few times now but no support over here still concerns me

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wonder if it wouldn’t be possible to create an adjustable wheel that could be wound in or out to the required size, with the tyre and tube stretching to accommodate?

zoo200
    Free Member

Hardtail carbon super light 2300 go together lovely

GT Zaskar 9r elite

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone owned a 650b 29er and a 26"?’ is closed to new replies.