Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone own or run a Westfield or type Kitcar?
  • speshspenner
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a Westfield Kitcar for tinkering/messing and blating around in, anyone own or owned one? I’m looking for pro’s and con’s, why I should/ should not buy or own one.

Plus if anyone’s got one for sale let me know.

julians
    Free Member

I have a caterham7:-

pros

– very very fast
    – great fun

cons

-totally impractical
    -useless on long trips
    -roads generally too busy to get proper use out of them
    – too many speed camera

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My friend is on his second Dax (a Westfield on steroids). It’s insanely quick, and good fun for about an hour. He crashed the first one in the wet. Easy to do with 400 BHP at the back. He budgeted £8k and spent £16k which is about right for a kit car. Budget and double it. For my money I’d get an old MX5/ RX7 / SX200 and tune it up.

andytherocketeer

Considered it a long time ago, even down to arranging factory visit when at Stoneleigh Kit Car show (must be this coming weekend I guess?).

Bailed out of that visit when I came to my senses after getting home.

Got stuck in a Caterham 21. Didn’t drive the Westie V8 cos there was not enough space for size 11 feet. I think the Dax was wider? but not a beginner build (prolly all bike engined now?).

Zero practicality – even have to evict the passenger if you want to take a tent to a car rally at the weekend. Quite fancy weekends in the lakes etc. in what is essentially a 4 wheeled motorbike, though.

Mintman
    Free Member

As above really, I own a 1989 Westfield with a tuned Crossflow engine in it so in summary – it’s all a bit old.

Based on that, purchasing costs need to be supported by running costs. Don’t get me wrong – it’s not falling apart but does require a certain amount if TLC to preserve metal work, powder coating, geometry set-ups, engine state and, a bit like bikes, upgrades that may or not be required.

If you approach it from the point of view that its a hobby/way of life (rather than a car) and are happy to invest time/money/blood/sweat/tears in it then you’ll probably make the right decision.

The return on this investment? The biggest smiles that any car has put on my face. Mines comparably low powered to many kit cars, 130bhp but its still more than enough to require new trousers when you give it beans…

If you’re near Bristol I could probably just show you what I mean at the weekend – I’m at Castle Combe on Thu on a trackday but not sure what their passenger policy is…

Stoneleigh is this weekend and well worth a trip if your in the market – not only will it open your eyes to the variety of 7-esque cars but it’ll reaffirm your desire to own one…

br
    Free Member

Zero practicality – even have to evict the passenger if you want to take a tent to a car rally at the weekend. Quite fancy weekends in the lakes etc. in what is essentially a 4 wheeled motorbike, though.

Yep, buy a motorbike instead. Far more fun for your pound, and even a small bike is quicker.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Take a look at the quantum xtreme a lot wider cockpit for bigger feet ect good size boot built these and westfields at the factories if you go for a westfield the wide body sei is the best in my oplnlon both cars are a pain when its wet

andytherocketeer

With the ‘ring just up the road… I’d kill myself if I had a kitcar. If I had a bike, I’d prolly kill myself on the way there.

Still fancy something 7-ish though.

sbd16v
    Free Member

even a small bike is quicker

depends its not hard to make a westfield faster than anything 600 and smaller. then you have the fact that alot of bike riders cannot get close to the ”book” figures but in a westfield its very easy to drive fast.

never owned one myself but it is on my ”list” have a good few mates with them and been on alot of track days with them.

there deff a fast motor with the right motor lol

slackalice
    Free Member

One of my dream fun cars would be a Caterham with a Hyabusa or similar bike engine and gearbox; sequential paddle shift, rev to 17,000 and handling for all. Virtual F1.

Get yourself a speed licence and enter a few sprints and hillclimbs and you’re away 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

its not hard to make a westfield faster than anything 600 and smaller

When there’s no traffic about maybe, but how often is that?

sbd16v
    Free Member

When there’s no traffic about maybe, but how often is that?

i would hope niether are fast in traffic !!

salsa
    Free Member

I have a Westfield 1800 super sport does 1000 miles per year, it’s definitely not practical but have used it as my main car for short period

More practical than a bike you can just about get a weekends camping in for two if you dump the spare wheel and put a pannier there instead

Mine has 170bhp just had a new engine management in, it’s very fast now and will spin easily if you are not careful

There are some great roads where I live in the north Pennines, twisty smooth roads are its best terrain, eg hartside

JAG

I’ve got a Stuart Taylor Locost – basically a cheaper Se7en/Westfield.

It’s got a Mazda MX5 1.6 and weighs 550Kg.

Pros: it goes very well; rapid acceleration, wheel spin at will, slides and sideways anytime you want. Great handling and always get’s a smile from passers-by and other drivers.

Cons: Not practical at all, hard work at any speed above 80mph.

But I love fixing it, driving it and generally having it. I’ll be at Stoneleigh Kit Car Show this weekend.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Did 5 days in Le Mans with the wife in ours, with tent, sleeping bags, air mats and clothing, if you work it right. As said not that practical, but probably the only sportscar I owned, which I would buy another and that includes TVR’s and Lotus’s. Cheap and easy to work on and individual in how you want them, unlike Caterhams, which although are very nice are a bit same-y.

edhornby

tthew on here (who is my brother) had a caterham, non-kit, an old one with the live axle and crossflow, it was ace but I always thought the weather kit was sh1te – the front is held on by press studs which pop off if you go on the motorway…

MikeWW
    Free Member

Looked to buy a Westfield about 10 years ago. Deal fell through and ended up buying a Caterham. Was ace fun …but within 2 weeks I’d taken it on a track day. Less than a month later I started racing it. Bought a faster one and had a brilliant time for 5-6 years racing all over the UK, Croix, Spa Francochamps. Absolutely fantastic fun….but its addictive and not cheap. Life isn’t all about being sensible 😀

Davesport

Can’t help you directly. I owned a Caterham for 7 years. If you’re serious about purchasing a 2nd hand car I get yourself over to the owners forum & have a look on there. Buying privately is a minefield unless you know exactly what you are looking at. Don’t get too stuck on headline BHP figures. They are important, but not as much as the big picture IE suspension & brakes. Kit car shows are also a great place to start looking.

D.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

do it 🙂
    “Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming … WOW! What a ride!”

natrix
    Free Member

I had a Slyva Leader and then a Banham Sprite, very different kit cars, but both great fun. As said above, get yourself to Stoneleigh and have a lok around.

alpin
    Free Member

Keep toying with the idea of getting one. It would be my only car and would be used for trips to the alps (with bikes) and then further afield (motorway trips to Berlin – 6 hour drive).
    Then there’s the fact I live in the centre of town and would need to rent a garage which is another 70€ on top of running costs.

And the cars are not cheap here in Germany.

Realistically it’s a stupid idea, but there’s still a big chunk of me that says DO IT!

andytherocketeer

Handy that Germany has registration plates with limited months of validity, so can have a toy car for summer only. Presume it saves the effort of SORNing a car when not in use. Hate to think what insurance would be like, even for restricted km and months.

Thought of a 7-esque on the autobahn is scary.

Would only get one if I had a proper lock up garage, with access to power for trickle charge etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own or run a Westfield or type Kitcar?’ is closed to new replies.