Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone own an Orange AM?
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

Are the essentially just 5’s with Talas 36 (100 – 160s) on them?

Thinking of going back to either a 5 or a Heckler but having 2 sets of forks and shocks so you could have a rp23 / Talas 32 for normal XC / Peak duties but DHX5 coil / 36 Vans for alps / trail centre use.

The AM 5 set up still has an rp23 on it but could it take a coil shock or is it not even worth it? I know that the Heckler could. Anyone done this before? Two bike options with only one frame is the theory!

Thoughts, opinions and pics would be great!

Harmitans
    Free Member

Don’t bother. 140mm is perfect on the front of my 5. Another 20mm travel is really not worth the bother and expense of 2 set of forks.

Richyb
    Free Member

I did this for the alps last year, put some 36 Talas on it and it was great, certainly more suited for the alps. I kept them on until last month and have now put some 32’s back on which as per your plan are much more suited to XC/general arseing about.

Not sure if you’re aware but the standard 5 with 32’s on now has the same head angle as last years AM (67 degrees), whereas fitting a 36 takes it to 66 degrees.

Never seen a 5 with a coil shock so not sure about that.

My 5 last summer

GaryLake
    Free Member

The AM is just a five with a 36 and a bashguard double.

Not sure about fitting a coil though – I’d speak to Orange as they do a coil and air version of the Alpine, they might have some advice on doing that for the five.

Didn’t realise they’d slackened the 09 five though – be interesting…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Thinking of going back to either a 5 or a Heckler but having 2 sets of forks and shocks so you could have a rp23 / Talas 32 for normal XC / Peak duties but DHX5 coil / 36 Vans for alps / trail centre use”

you’ve got that all wrong there 😉 trail centres are all mostly smooth so no need for coils shocks ?? coil is good for riding around the dark Peak, so supple over the rocky trails.

Seriously though, a mate has a 5 AM with 36 talas and an RP23 and it is perfect for all round dark peak riding. Also has crossmax wheels on it and it is suprisingly light for a 5/6 inch travel bike. A recent dirt mag review rated the 36 floats as better than the 36 vans, so you could maybe get a 36 float/RP23 on for all round riding, and a DHX coil for alpine duties. the 36 float should handle a trip to the alps, as lots of the DH boys are riding air forks now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own an Orange AM?’ is closed to new replies.