Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone own a Vitus Escarpe 290?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are they the sluggish dog uphill that that the weight and rather short look would suggest or are they actually ok?

Appreciate they won’t be xc fast, but are they quick enough for ~4 hour rides. I’m looking for something fairly cheap to take to the Alps but also use here. I already have another 29er, so was keen on this from a wheel size compatibility viewpoint.

andy88
    Free Member

Quite interested to find out myself. I’ve got a large frame in the garage ready to be built up. The quality looks good and at just over 7lbs for the frame it’s not too heavy.

trusty

Just built up a large to replace my stumpjumper evo. Ive not ridden it yet as I’ve been riding my hardtail in the mud but it’s a touch longer than the stumpy so not too short. It does feel a bit heavier. There’s very little information on them

mtbtomo
    Free Member

at just over 7lbs for the frame it’s not too heavy

Err….I’m used to carbon full suss frames weighing more like 5.5 – 6lbs…..

andy88
    Free Member

I’m coming from a full carbon cube stereo slt so this frame is a good couple of lbs heavier than my cube but I’m not too worried about it be nice to have a non press fit bb that only last 5 minutes.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So long as you remember that non-press fit bb when slogging up those hills with that extra heft 😉

Post back how it rides if you would please? And “rides lighter than the scales suggest” is just what I’m looking for 😉

funkrodent

Ive got its big brother the Sommet. Very similar just a bit burlier and a bit more travel. The Sommet is a superb bike, more than adequate on the climbs and goes like a bomb downhill. Actually too much bike for most of my riding (not that you’d know it it rides so well) and if I could buy again (knowing what I know now) I’d get the Escarpe like a shot

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thank Funkrodent. I’m looking at the cheapest model, so can’t decide if its 32lb weight would annoy me and lead to the usual procession of upgrades..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Vitus Escarpe 290?’ is closed to new replies.