Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 184 total)
  • Anyone own a Sony RX100?
  • AlexSimon

JL accepted the Price Match btw – to order online.
    edit – extra year’s cover and accidental damage was showing at £30

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

edit – extra year’s cover and accidental damage was showing at £30

depends which one you get…

tillydog
    Free Member

Regarding vibration, my wife has had no fewer than 3 sony compacts fail through the vibration reduction mechanism (lens keeps shaking).

There was a firmware update for the RX100 to “Improve the vibration and sound noise of the lens”

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dime/sony-dscrx100-firmware-update-ver01_10-win/DSC-RX100

Worth a try?

colster808
    Free Member

Reply to Anus!.
    Yes pelican 1010 case has belt loops. Very tight fit with only 1mm gap front to back. A bit of extra foam would take care of this. Still wouldn’t put it on my top tube though. 🙂

colster808
    Free Member

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks tillydog, camera updated and will see if it helps.

DaveRambo

I have an RCX100-II.

Bought it to take to San Francisco on holiday a couple of years ago as I didn’t want to lug the DSLR plus lenses with me.

Fantastic camera, got some quality shots that are almost SLR quality – from such a small camera it’s very impressive.

I bought the leather Sony case which is very good, wouldn’t necessarily help in a heavy impact but is certainly up to the usual knocks from carrying it about.

DrJ

@allymcmurdo – don’t think you will be disappointed. Enjoy!!

ricardo666
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

allymcmurdo – Member

I’ve got an RX100 mk2 coming tomorrow. I paid £279 from Clifton Cameras….. Rather bloody excited about it to be honest.

Price match or what? it’s 350 on their site?

jon_n
    Free Member

If anyone wants a sony add on grip:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KD62HN4?keywords=rx100%20grip&qid=1452593649&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I have a spare one – make an appropriate donation to charity and it’s yours.

It’s in a box somewhere at my parents so may take me a couple of weeks to find though.

email me if you are interested…

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Price match or what? it’s 350 on their site?

I bought it about two weeks ago,it was out of stock at the time and put on back order but that was the price then. Glad I ordered it when I did. They threw the Sony Leather case in too.

AlexSimon

Yep – if you look at this page, you can see the price history:
    http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Sony/Sony-Compact-Cameras/Sony-Cyber-shot-RX100-II

BTW, when I was in Hong Kong, I was told that the mkii is discontinued and only the mki/iii/iv are in production.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s a handy site Alex, thanks.

AlexSimon

Mine arrived. Submitted price match claim and Cashback claim.

Camera seems easier to hold than I was expecting, although shutter release doesn’t fall as comfortably as I’d like.

Menus while shooting (choosing ISO, etc) don’t seem toooo bad so far. Main use for me will be altering ISO in Aperture Priority mode.

Shame they couldn’t split adjustments between the lens ring and the nav wheel.

In Aperture, they currently both adjust Aperture – is this configurable?

Haven’t used it for anything proper yet.

AlexSimon

Finding it a bit faffy in use. Buttons are very sensitive.
    I take a shot, then try to recompose and accidentally zoom in on the preview instead (or zoom out to gallery). So then have to half press the shutter to resume and then zoom again.

Any way to avoid this (disable functions when it’s showing the preview)?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi Alex – I don’t have that particular camera but i do have the A7 and so I wonder if the menu and configurability are the same. If they are, then the problems you’re highlighting should be fixable my customising what each button does. On the A7, you can pretty much assign all the functions of the camera to all the buttons on the body.

Have a look at the customise options in the menu.

AlexSimon

Thanks geetee – I found how to assign the ring and wheel, but I’ll dig deeper to see if I can change zoom. It happened again a few times today.

A lot of times with mountain biking, I’m shooting at one distance, then at another and I know I need to zoom in/out between the two, but with current settings I have to wait until the preview times-out.

BTW I bought a Lowepro bag for the camelbak shoulder strap and it worked really well. Snug, but spot on imo.

This one (£3 dearer in grey):

5thElefant
    Free Member

You can turn the image review off on the bigger sony cameras, probably the case on the rx too.

I always turn it off so I’m not sure of behaviour, but doesn’t half press clear it anyway?

AlexSimon

I haven’t found a way yet 5thElefant 🙁

Yes, a half press does clear it, but currently my finger has already moved to the zoom, as that’s what my muscle memory from previous LX3 camera got used to.

beanum

Hi Alex, you can turn off Image Review in the menu. It’s page 1 of the settings menu (small cog icon).

AlexSimon

Thanks beanum. I’ll try setting it to ‘off’ then, although I always liked reviewing (especially with a histogram) on the LX3, so might have to get used to the ‘half press’ when recomposing.

I’m also finding it hard to use the wheel without accidentally pressing part of it. I’ll probably get there eventually though.

AlexSimon

Some initial photos btw:

Tends to underexpose in the snow (at least looking at the default RAW conversion), but that works well for processing in Lightroom as your not fighting the blown highlights you get with some cameras

Coped pretty well with the night shots

stumpy01

AlexSimon – Member

Tends to underexpose in the snow

‘All’ cameras tend to do that – they are looking for mid-grey. A snowy scene is brighter than mid-grey so the camera will under-expose back to mid-grey.
    The ‘snow & beach’ setting on a lot of cameras just adds some +ve exposure compensation.

Nice pics!

All this talk of newer cameras has got me wanting to replace my Nikon P300 with something better.
    The reviews reckoned it was a decent quality compact & went on about the 1.8 lens (at the wide end) but the reality is that it’s good without being amazing. It can get quite noisy & smeary at higher ISO’s because the sensor is small, the focussing can be very iffy as soon as the light drops off & there seems to be a software fault whereby even with matrix metering selected, if you choose ‘manual focus point selection’ (auto-focus but you choose where it focuses), it will use the focus point to meter as well.
    I think I was probably expecting too much of it, to be honest.

AlexSimon

TurnerGuy – Member

A solution for the limited zoom of the Sony ? Pointless imo. That money would buy you a TZ70

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pointless imo. That money would buy you a TZ70

yes, but it wouldn’t look so amusing 🙂

euanc
    Free Member

Just joined the club with a RX100M3, first impressions are pretty good, especially given I was riding without a bag and just had it in the same size of Pelican case as shown previously in this thread in my back jersey pocket.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

I received my RX100M2 recently. Really happy with it. I’ve never really owned a decent camera before but I’m happy with my results so far

AlexSimon

Great to see these pics!

AlexSimon

Just a quick mention to say that I’m finding the 28mm wide angle isn’t quite as wide as I’d like. I’ve got used to having an ultra-wide-angle on the SLR and my LX3 has 24mm, so I’m suddenly unable to get photos quite how I’d like.

On the mk1, the Panorama mode doesn’t really make up for it either.
    Slightly strange operation compared to phones. I’ll experiment with it more, but so far I’ve just taken 4 shots and stitched in lightroom – obviously useless for an action shot.

geetee1972
    Free Member

28mm wide angle isn’t quite as wide as I’d like.

28mm is pretty wide – you could always just walk backwards to recompose. Obviously that makes little difference with landscapes but 28mm is still wide enough for most landscape work. It’s pretty hard to get good composition with much wider angles.

AlexSimon

I know 28mm is pretty standard (for most SLR walkabout zooms too), but my preference is for even wider. 24mm was about right on the LX3.
    Especially for close, low action mtb shots, where the only way to get further away would be to dig a ditch 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Especially for close, low action mtb shots, where the only way to get further away would be to dig a ditch

That’s quite funny actually. I did chortle.

Everyone has their own preference of course but once upon a time, 35mm was considered to be wide angle and 28mm ultra wide angle. Then the whole digital APS-C sensor thing happened and suddently lenses of 18mm focal lengths became popular. I know that you’re referring to ‘equivalent field of view’ focal lengths of course but still there’s been a shift towards ultra wide angle lenses the last 15 years.

AlexSimon

Agreed – phones too.
    I just looked at the stats. Of the 175 images I’ve taken so far, 137 were at widest angle (78%).
    The stats for my LX3 are 2138 in 4132 shots was widest (51%).

beanum

One tip for panorama shooting is that you can change the sweep direction to “up”. You can then hold the camera vertically and swipe to the right and this gives you a much more useful picture size than normal. The only problem is it’s harder to keep the horizon straight holding the camera this way…

AlexSimon

Yep – I found that (although I set it to ‘down’). Couldn’t believe I had to select it in a menu though rather than have control on wheel/ring.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yep – I found that (although I set it to ‘down’). Couldn’t believe I had to select it in a menu though rather than have control on wheel/ring.

that is the main complaint on the Sony – the menus are poor an options are all over the place and not where you’d expect them.

The mk III and IV are wider but you lose some zoom length, and the Canon is also wider but apparently a bit soft when wide.

bforbertie

I recently purchased a Kk3, then this thread popped up raving about it which is nice- I usually buy something and suddenly all reviews are slating it!
    Re panorama- From panorama on the dial, you can change direction of panning with the wheel on the back IIRC? (Mk3). I was a bit disappointed with quality of panoramas and would be tempted to stitch after in future.
    Also I did buy the pelicase as recommended here which is very nice but a VERY tight fit for Mk3 (which is fatter than the 1+2), such that lens cover didn’t shut for a while after without encouragment- euanc have you had any issues? Or modded slighty?

AlexSimon

24-70 would suit me just fine.
    Unfortunately, even though people talk about the mk iii and iv in the same context as the mki, for me at 2.5x the cost, they are way out of reach.
    My SLR earns me a little money so I can justify that, but £200 is about my limit for a compact. It’s also what I paid for the LX3 about 6 years ago.

Anyway – I’m still content with the purchase. The images are good – I just need to work around the shortcomings.

My biggest bugbear at the moment is that in Aperture priority mode, Auto ISO tends to run too slow a shutter for mountain biking or kids indoors. I think this might be due to the image stabilization which is very effective but doesn’t help when the subject is moving.

So for example, it took this at
    ISO 125
    f / 4.5
    1/30 sec

I would have much preferred 2 stops higher ISO and 2 stops faster shutter.

Obviously I could have set ISO manually, but a) I wouldn’t have got the shot because I had to be quick and b) I had no idea that the shot ended up blurred because I’ve turned preview/review off (see previous bugbear). This also lead to the next 3 images being discarded.

Basically, it’s decided that 1/30th is fine which is never going to work for this kind of shot.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Sony RX100?’ is closed to new replies.