Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone own a Park Tools PCS-9 repair stand?
  • devash
    Free Member

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago but haven’t had a chance to use it until today. Everything’s assembled as per the instructions but there seems to be a lot of play in the thing resulting in the stand leaning forward quite considerably…..

I know its a “cheap” stand but is there supposed to be this much forward lean in it?

andrewreay

I have one, and it does have a lot of ‘lean’.

However, it has never capsized on me, despite some fairly hefty work removing pedals and such like. So I live with it as it does the job.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply 😀

On further inspection it looks like a lot of the lean could be addressed by some sort of shim where the lower post goes into the legs. Currently there is only a crappy plastic shim with lots of give so I might see what I can fabricate to replace this.

superleggero
    Free Member

It looks from the picture like the upper post may be too far out of the lower part of the stand. There is an insertion marker on the upper post beyond which you shouldn’t have it. Have a look and try sliding it back in an inch or two if it’s past the safety marker.

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 5 years for home use, it works fine. In contrast I’ve always had kestrel and park £300+ work stands in workshops at work (bike shops). The pcs9 is fine for home use when setup right.

sync
    Free Member

Bikes too heavy, that is all.

Park stand = propper pro so your bike should be 22-23lbs..

I have one of these and you could happily do chinups without it bending so i think you either built it wrong or have a dodgy one.

zbonty

Had mine about 10 years. It lives in the garden in all weathers and does the job. Always holds the bike vertically so maybe over extended?
    Can topple if loaded with a wheel out then nudged. Pretty bombproof as there’s nothing to go wrong, I like the wind up clamp. The hard rubber jaws will rub on seatposts..

garage-dweller

There is a bit of a lean on them. I sometimes put a thin bit of MDF or ply under the end of the legs to straighten it up if I’m doing something fiddly and low torque. But wouldn’t suggest that if your leaning on it hard. I’ve had years of service from mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh ive always considered the pcs-9 a very poor stand. The lean only gets worse when you set it up on some soft grass- say at an event carpark.

The cheapest feedback stand is a much more stable stand.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mine does lean a bit too. Got mine free off some dude who advertised it free if collected. Best freebie ever!

br
    Free Member

It looks from the picture like the upper post may be too far out of the lower part of the stand.

This.

Smack it in more.

Had mine at least 7 years and can happily hang heavy bikes at any angle with no problem.

garlic
    Free Member

Have had one for 8 years or so, still in continuous use. You’ve got the upper tube extended too far, push it back in a little. Also make sure you have spring-loaded button locked into the hole on the sleeve with the legs attached. If it’s not then this can amplify the leaning.

Dangled all sorts of bikes of it and never had an issue with weight.

Tip- don’t power wash your bike whilst it’s in the stand as the water runs down and rusts the inside of the sleeve and the lower tube making it very difficult to unfold and fold.

devash
    Free Member

It looks from the picture like the upper post may be too far out of the lower part of the stand. There is an insertion marker on the upper post beyond which you shouldn’t have it. Have a look and try sliding it back in an inch or two if it’s past the safety marker.

You’ve got the upper tube extended too far, push it back in a little. Also make sure you have spring-loaded button locked into the hole on the sleeve with the legs attached. If it’s not then this can amplify the leaning.

Thanks for the feedback. The minimum insertion mark is actually a good inch or two inside the lower tube believe it or not. The quick release button is also clicked into its recess.

I think its just the way the stand is (i.e. not very stable with my 30lbs full sus attached) so I guess I’ll learn to live with it. MDF blocks under the legs is actually a really good fix. Thanks garage-dweller.

garage-dweller

Just remember no swinging off wrenches if you lift the legs a bit. Lightweight jobs only like that as the lean does help the stability.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Park Tools PCS-9 repair stand?’ is closed to new replies.