Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone own a Honda CRV – 2005 vintage?
  • cb

Looking at one of these and would appreciate any issues of ownership. I know it will be slow but real mpg figs (its a 2.0 auto petrol). Any niggles, any great aspects, any bits fall off on a regular basis?

Thanks

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

53 plate
    totally reliable, at recent mot mechanic told me how amazed he was at the state of the chassis, like new he said (70k on clock) and with regular trips up a poor condition unmetalled road
    good – very comfy, very reliable, huge interior with seats down, no bits fallen off so far (nearly 2 years), free picnic table
    not so good – fuel economy (no sht, sherlock), position of the handbrake, totally bizarre use of space (look at the flip down arrangement for the cup holder and there’s a space for a spare wheel under the floor, as well as the rear door mounted (look it’s a 4*4) carry-on). minnd you, thinking about using that space fopr an autogas tank. the autoswitching 4wd can be a bit of a surprise. There’s one corner I take where I go from downhill to up hill and with a hefty dose of throttle. In the wet, the 4wd kicks in and out again. I’d prefer to engage 4wd when I want to and keep it on till I want it off – that’s the one thing I would really change about the car.
    One thing to watch for is the hydraulic fluid in the rear diff. Changing it isn’t a huge job – see here (topic relates to ’97 model, but is common until around ’05 IIRC

It did surprisingly well during the winter snows as well
    Overall – good car and I’m i no hurry to replace mine

oh, but Thule bars are a crap fit.

EDIT – mpg – around 30, mostly open road, around 70-80 mph

molgrips
    Free Member

would appreciate any issues of ownership

Extreme ugliness.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Just had a word with a colleague who has one. No issues, he’s done 60k in his without fault and gets around 30MPG. I always check here as this site seems really useful

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk

simon_g

My dad put 90k miles on his from new – also 2.0 auto. Averaged about 29mpg, plenty of motorway. No problems at all and pretty good in the snow and the odd muddy field (it tipped it down one year at Goodwood FOS and loads of cars were getting stuck) – he liked it so much he replaced it with a new shape one, also a 2.0 auto.

Atomizer

Got an 02 plate 2.0 petrol auto.
    Drives smoothly, never noticed 4wd kicking in and out – just works. Managed all the snow and ice last two winters without bother.
    Super dependable and reliable. Spacious inside.
    I like the handbrake position, gives lots more space in the front.
    Big boot with very useful extra space where the spare wheel could be but isn’t.
    Comes with a picnic table(!) which we use when camping.
    The only real issue is 25mpg on normal day to day trips around town, short commuutes.
    Other than that i’d have another one.
    Oh, and not ugly.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

would appreciate any issues of ownership

Extreme ugliness.

For some people a car is tool getting from A to B, carting stuff around etc. A CR-V does this just fine
    For others, they think it fills a hole where their personality should be. They often drive a Prius or a Porsche.
    I’m in the former group. So, I suspect is the OP.

Not so sure about you.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Extra edit – mine’s is manual petrol – don’t like automatics, which is maybe why I’m so quick to find fault with the auto 4wd

TatWink
    Free Member

Ours was a 2004 and was super dependable if a little juicy. Expect about 30 mpg. All that mine needed was a new battery in 3 years of ownership.
    Also got me up and down some closed roads during the snow very impressed with that!!
    Great big boot on it, great for holidays.

And I think apart from the wheel on the back they still look fresh.

TiRed

55 plate diesel, now on 80K. Economy is not bad (struggles to 40mpg), but not enough to justify the extra initial expense compared with petrol. Well built if plastic, nothing failed so far. Drives well, and fantastic in the snow on proper tyres. HUUUUUUGE boot and I use the table and storage spare tyre space for wetsuits. It’s a stretch to put the bikes on the roof compared with a normal car.

I’ll be looking for another eventually. Don’t like the new shape ones as much. If you look at the ratio of T-V-W plate Mark 1’s to Freelanders of similar vintage, think the same for Mark 2’s in five years time 😉

stumpyjon

Echo most of the above, 28 mpg (pretty urban driving), good in snow (we live at 1150ft so we get a bit), also good around our local forest. Is an excellent biking and digging car. Been very reliable, no issues. Recently sent it in expecting to have to have all the discs and pads done after neglecting it for a while, just needed one set of pads. Had it from new and intend to keep it till the wheels fall off.

Also seems to clean up well internally after muddy forest trips, fabrics are also wearing well.

Never noticed any issues with the 4wd, it just goes, often up steep snow covered hills whilst other cars slither backwards. Nearly got it stuck once, but then snow was over a foot deep and it looked like the landy that had created the tracks in the snow also turned around at the same point (some scumbag had thrown the road cloased sign in a ditch).

I wouldn’y say the boot was huge, good size, wheel arches impinge a bit, but then my other car is a VW touran which has a boot big enough to park a mini in so I may not be particularly objective.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not so sure about you.

I own a Prius and a Passat, and I openly admit it – how on earth could I be worried about image? 🙂

Very few cars I think are ugly, this is one. I was simply making a smart arse quip – I would still certainly look at it if I needed a 4×4.

Although a new Tiguan I reckon would be better… If I were buying new.

woffle
    Free Member

02 plate. Really love ours (had it 6 years or so) – the mpg is the only drawback but it’s liveable with if you drive carefully – you’ve got cheap insurance, reliable, good specification etc. Lots of room in the back and boot and great for ferrying the kids around in.

We’re downsizing to smaller car so will be selling soon if anyone’s after a £3K bike and family wagon.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Wifey has an 06 plate, petrol manual and it really is ridiculously reliable. It’s on nearly 50k now and still on the original rear tyres! It’s had 3 main dealer services at circa £250 each and a new battery last year that’s it in close to 5 years of ownership. I had an 05 Range Rover that cost me £3k in the last 12 months of ownership – don’t buy one of those!

She averages about 27mpg but it doesn’t get many long runs. Quite nippy at slow speeds, but pretty sluggish above 70mph and really starts to drink fuel if you drive at 90mph on the autobahn.

I don’t actually ‘like’ the car, but as a reliable family car it’s fantastic – just doesn’t have any soul. If you do big miles, a diesel would be my preference as it uses about 35% less fuel (37mph ish from a friend) and the torquey diesel suits the car better than the revvy petrol. More money, but long term a better bet and I wish we’d got one.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s a bit early to go on about reliability when it’s only got 50k on it 🙂 I’ve never had a car that went wrong inside 50k 🙂

£250 is a lot for servicing too.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

You’ve obviously not owned some of the cars that I have! I’ve had several brand new cars (mainly BMWs) that have all had some minor niggles to sort out, and the new mini I got last month has a wonky bonnet but the CR-V has had zero issues. Main dealers are always a rip off for servicing, but when a car is still under warranty it’s nice to have the stamp in the book. The last service was an out of warranty one but it was only £50 more than the local garage at around £200 so not really worth the saving.

Service intervals are quite regular I guess at 12500 miles as my BMWs have often got to almost 20k before asking for a service.

stumpyjon

I think it’s a bit early to go on about reliability when it’s only got 50k on it I’ve never had a car that went wrong inside 50k

You’ve obviously never had a renault, cost me a fortune, don’t think either of them even got to 50k before I was forced to get rid. The CRV replaced a Scenic which was horrendous. We should have replaced the CRV but the Clio we had was also a nightmare which is why we ended up with two big cars (although the Touran does do 55mpg + despite being a seven seater!). The CRV has been excellent in comparison, experience shared by a few others obviously.

molgrips
    Free Member

which is the whole point about there being a ceiling on the number of bitcoin being in circulation

No, and there’s a reason for that 🙂

Btw I take my cars to main dealers for servicing, it’s never been that expensive.. quite happy with them both actually.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a Honda CRV – 2005 vintage?’ is closed to new replies.