Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Anyone only ever lived in the place where they grew up?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Mainly idle curiosity – I was born in London, grew up in north Oxfordshire, went to university in the North East, lived in Chester for a year and Manchester for the last 10 years.

Mrs North's mother, on the other hand, apart from a brief spell away when at university, has lived in the same village all her life.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Most of my mates are living in the same town where they grew up. I joined the RAF as I didn't want to.

uplink
    Free Member

I'm 50 & have always lived within 200m of where I am now

I've travelled about plenty & worked away for weeks on end but this is the only place I've ever had a home

AndyP
    Free Member

hmm – apart from 5 years at Uni, I spent 3 years in London and the Home Counties…and leapt at a chance to get back home. So I'm in the village where I was born and grew up, but I've been away. On the other hand, my old next-door neighbour was in her 70s before she went more than 5 miles from home. I do remember once I was travelling to London with work and leaving early to 'miss the traffic'. She asked if traffic in London was worse than the village high street at school-kicking-out time. Oh dear.

warton
    Free Member

apart from my first 5 years i have always lived in a mile or so radius. so thats 30 years. in the same place

ourmaninthenorth

She asked if traffic in London was worse than the village high street at school-kicking-out time. Oh dear.

!! (But a nice "oh dear" – sometimes ignorance can be bliss.)

Haze

Yep, born in K'ford, now living up The Straits (Gornal/Himley) via a few months in Wordsley 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Until 2 years ago, yup. Didn't even move away for uni, no point, perfectly happy where I was.

mr_whacky
    Free Member

yowser! – i cant keep my feet planted anywhere.. Grew up on Merseyside, went to Uni in Liverpool, so up to my early 20s i didnt get very far. Since then, 5 yrs in London, 1 yr in Angola, 2 yrs in South Africa, 4 years in California and now enjoying my second year down under in Perth….

wonder where i'll go next…. 🙄

nickc

Dad was in the RAF, never spent more than 2 years in one place. For a lot of my childhood, I wasn't even in the country.

grynch
    Free Member

I moved about 600 miles when I was 5 and then lived within 10 miles of the same address for the next 40 years or so ( until I moved here to Switzeland )

SaxonRider

Grew up in the middle of Canada with my entire clan no further than about a mile away. Travelled a lot, as we had a place down in South Texas, but only lived in the one place. Then moved away to Quebec, had a brief stint in Nova Scotia, back to Quebec, a year in the West Indies, then almost five years in northern Saskatchewan, two and a half years in Manchester, and five here in Wales.

I just bought for the first time and, after 16 years of wandering, refuse to move. Then again, it's Wales, so who needs to?

heresjonny
    Free Member

Always lived within 10 miles of parents original house, apart from 3 years at uni, only an hour away mind you. All my friends still live nearby so why move. Parents buggered of to devon mind you. 3 hour drive or 7 take your pick, I'm not bitter though honest….

woody2000

Statistically, almost everyone will be born, live and die within 10 miles of their birth home (if you get my drift). Apparently.

EDIT – heresjonny proves that nicely 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was born in Harrogate, lived in Knaresborough (which is basically a suburb of Harrogate anyway) all my childhood life (including going to college for 4 years) now live in Harrogate. Very happy and am proud to have strong roots in my childhood area – my dad was born and brought up here, so was his dad and his dad's dad and so on…

glenp
    Free Member

My dad will be 80 on Jan 3rd – he still lives in the house he was (literally) born in, which is in Friday Street (Leith Hill). I live a bit less than a mile away, although at one point I did move as far as the bright lights of Dorking.

My kids have been through the village school, as did I and my brother and sister, as did my mum and her brother.

You could say we like it here.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was born in Edinburgh. Lived in Sweden, Holland, Manchester, Nottingham, Ulverston, Edinburgh, Markinch, Kinghorn, Orkney. Florence, Madrid. Still would call Fife home though.

miketually
    Free Member

I moved to Durham for 3 years for uni. That's about 18 miles from here.

I was born about 600 metres from where I'm currently sitting. I teach at my old 6th form college (3 other members of staff who were students here at the same time I was), which was also my dad's grammar school.

My daughter goes to nursery in the building that my uncle went to school in.

Every house I've lived in, barring uni, are within 5 or 10 minutes walk of my current home. Actually, the one I rented for a year might be 15 minutes walk away now that I've moved.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Born in Leeds, lived in Morley, Wakefield, Batley.
    Went to uni in Bradford, lived there for a while, then 11 years ago moved to Baildon. All of which are (just about) 10miles or less from the hospital I was born in

So yes, I guess I fit the statistic too, just

mafu26
    Free Member

Grew up in Pembrokeshire then moved to Leeds for uni, been here 5 years now and still enjoying it. Think maybe australia next…

DaRC_L

Yoyo'd – live a few miles from where I grew up but have moved around a bit including a couple of years in Texas and a year in Swindon…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Born in africa, lived in carlisle for 33.5 of the 34yrs i have been alive. Never been away from carlisle for longer than 2 wk holiday since.

Why would i want to go anywhere else. I love the place. I love the fact i can go biking in the lakes or stanes easily. I know so many people that my wife gets stopped by total strangers asking her is she is my wife. I also play football and got injured a couple of weeks ago. The old boy who was reffing walked away muttering "he was a bloody good player back in the day" 😯 The cheek

AirconAde
    Free Member

Born and bred within two miles of where I live now. I have worked all over the uk and europe living out of hotels for weeks at a time.
    Nothing beats the feeling of coming home!
    Maybe it helps that Eastridge, Longmynd, Stiperstones are all in biking distance and LLandegla, Nant y arran, Coed y brennin are only 40-50 mins drive.
    Pure luck that I was born where I was really!!!

Ade

user-removed
    Free Member

Most of the guys I knock about with now all live in the same town as they were born in. I sometimes feel a wee pang of jealousy – every time I go for a pint with one of them, they seem to know every third person, and they all have family close at hand too.

I got dragged all round Britain when growing up, due to stepdad's job. Didn't bother me at the time, and pretty sure it hasn't done me any harm….

cinnamon_girl

No. Couldn't wait to leave the London area. Mind you, I can't wait to leave my current area either!

samuri
    Free Member

I know someone who until quite recently, has never *been*, more than about ten miles from his house/where he was born/where he lived as a child. He's a broad minded chap too but he's never been (even now) outside say, a 30 mile radius of his current house.

He also sees no reason to do so.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have a confession to make.

Baildon is 11.4 miles away from the hospital I was born in. Bugger.

chewkw
    Free Member

A long long way from home me … 😯

ton

born in wakefield, were i lived till i was 32, in a house a mile from where i was born.
    now live 7 miles away, but looking to move back to wakefield, when i can find a nice house.

speaker2animals

About 18 month's in Chesterfield other than that we are now at 48 years minus 18 months. Apparently (and this may be 20 years old data) Potters are (were)the least likely to move to other areas.

CITY

MtbCol
    Free Member

Born in Brentwood essex, moved to North Yorkshire when I was 4, lived in 3 places since then and now settled in Pickering. Am at the stage where I don't feel like moving unless Pickering is earmarked for a nuking from orbit.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I seem to have found myself back in one of the places I grew up…. which is odd! The list of places I have lived includes:

Hoy, Orkney
    Bedford (briefly and I don't remember it!)
    Ulverston, Cumbria (where I have found myself once again, and is where I started school)
    Storth, Cumbria
    Sedbergh, Cumbria
    Cergy-Pontois, Val d'Oise… more or less a northern suburb of Paris
    Glasgow
    Amazonia
    Edinburgh
    Kirknewton, Mid Lothian
    Stirling
    Doune, Perthshire (although now in Stirling District)

So no… I haven't just lived where I was born and bred, but seem to have come back to a bit that I did a bit of bredening in 😉

gibby

Born in Preston, now live in Hutton 3 miles outside Preston so no nomadic tendancies here. But why move when I'm 1-1.5 hours away from the Lakes, North Wales, Yorkshire Dales, or the Peak district

oddjob
    Free Member

Mum mum lives in the house that her great grand parents owned and aparet from university has always lived close to it.
    I on the other hand started there in the midlands and have since lived in London, Manchester, Grenoble and now in Denmark. Off to the US in 2010 if we can get it together but now there are 2 kids as well it gets more complicated.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I was born on the Isle of Wight, but don't remember anything about it. Moved up to Glasgow after a year, (had a scottish accent), then down to Sutton Coldfield (had a brummie accent), then to Warwick (??accent?), then to various parts of Hong Kong (americanized accent) then to Edinburgh (milder accent) then to Dundee (hybrid accent).

Sadly, I wouldn't consider any of these places my 'home'. It's also a tad tedious to explain when anyone ever asks where I'm from. I have never lived in the same house for more than 3 years and get itchy feet if I stay anywhere for too long.

So a bit envious of those people that like a place enough to consider living there for 15(plus) years, – would quite like to do too that one day.

badnewz
    Free Member

Spent three years in Norwich, six in oxford, one in london, and now back in the small wretched town I grew up in. This is not a permanent move, just I've started a business and need to protect the downside by living with folks.

nickegg
    Free Member

Nope….Born in Switzerland, went to barding school in the UK so lots of travelling to and from my parents places in the UK and Switzerland until i was 16.

Left school to do an apprenticeship as a cabinet maker in Norwich, went to uni in High Wycombe, moved to Bristol after graduation to be with my girlfriend (now wife) and have been here ever since (only been 5 years though).

Love it here but would happily move back to Switzerland if the opportunity arose. But would love to live in the Lakes or Scotland.

mudshark
    Free Member

I now live 5 miles from where I spent the 1st 12 years of my life having spent 25 years away – kind of a coincidence as I came back for the Surrey Hills.

Karinofnine

Born in Germany.

I once started to count how many times I had moved house, I got to 50 and gave up.

Now I live in Hertfordshire – in a touring caravan – it's much easier to move now!

Home? What's that?

I guess if I want to live forever I should not go back to Germany lol

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Adldershot, Sandhurst, Colchester, Celle (Germany), Battle, Warminster, Westbury, Leicester, Stamford and finally Peterborough.

Benefits of growing up with the army, different places, different people, different cultures have made me the well rounded individual i am today and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh and i would always be happy to return to germany (on holiday at least).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Anyone only ever lived in the place where they grew up?’ is closed to new replies.