Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Anyone on here smoke a pipe?
  • siwhite
    Free Member

I’m not a pipe smoker for fear of all the ailments and death mentioned above – but if it wasn’t for these effects I’d be there in a flash. I own two pipes – one from my late grandfather and another I picked up from an antique shop. They are fun for posturing with but don’t serve a real purpose.

I am on the lookout for a vaping pipe to enjoy the habit of pipe smoking without the risk of death.

My old headmaster at prep school smoked a pipe almost constantly – whenever it wasn’t clamped between his teeth it would be in the pocket of his blazer, often setting the liner smouldering. The whiff of Condor takes me straight back to the late 1980s!

binners

I remember reading a fact when I was in my teens. Apparently the average lifetime cost of cigarettes for a 20-a-day smoker is £63,000.

As a recently reformed smoker I’d put it at WAAAAAAAAY higher than that. A quick back-of-a-fag-packet* calculation says that in the 8 months since I packed in smoking, I’ve saved over a grand and a half. I have spent it all on shiny bike-related things instead 😀

Its basically paid for this….

Thank you Mr Benson and Mr Hedges 😀

* see what I did there

molgrips
    Free Member

Good work binners, but where did you get a fag packet from? Expensive way to get note paper, throwing out the fags to use the packet.

Jeez! Any idea what sort of frequency?!?

Not really but I never saw her smoking them during the day, presumably an evening thing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I love to linger outside tobacco shops, some of the tobacco smells wonderful, just a shame it doesnt taste like that!

Oh and that pipe shaped e-cig device is just pretentious hipster crap. Anyone using one of those deserves to be pointed out on national TV and laughed at!

mooman
    Free Member

Terrible idea James … Increased risk of mouth & tongue cancer … which I hear is a pretty nasty place to get it!

I thought smoking as a whole was a pretty old fashioned habit nowadays … More so with cigars or pipes.

maccruiskeen

I remember reading a fact when I was in my teens. Apparently the average lifetime cost of cigarettes for a 20-a-day smoker is £63,000.

[quote]
    As a recently reformed smoker I’d put it at WAAAAAAAAY higher than that. A quick back-of-a-fag-packet* calculation says that in the 8 months since I packed in smoking, I’ve saved over a grand and a half. I have spent it all on shiny bike-related things instead

Its basically paid for this….
    [/quote]

I remember a while back a friend motivating reward for giving up fags was, that with money he saved, at the end of the week he could afford to buy a CD. Now you could buy a new album every day. Over a lifetime you could probably buy a house.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not a pipe but I do smoke a couple of cigars a week. An article here that tries to explain what the statistics actually mean.

Cigar Warnings Go Up In Smoke

slowoldman

Someone should research into gene and cancer trigger points.

Maybe someone should research the link between smoking and cancer eh?

taxi25
    Free Member

Someone should research into gene and cancer trigger points.

As everyone knows there’s been loads, and yes it can. But none it seems that answers the op’s question. Is smoking my pipe once or twice a week bad for my health ?
    I’m guessing the answers is, probably but only by a little bit.

SaxonRider

Thank you, taxi25. That’s exactly what I was asking, and the article you posted actually tries to answer the question.

DezB
    Free Member

pretty old fashioned habit

Isn’t that why people do it? Like old style razors, woodpiles and logburners, that sort of thing.. is there some lacking in “manliness” trying to be regained by going back to what our grandfathers did?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I like a pipe. But then, methamphetamine is rather moreish.

slowoldman

is there some lacking in “manliness” trying to be regained by going back to what our grandfathers did?

I don’t know about yours but I’m pretty sure mine didn’t use shower gel or moisturiser.

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly

finbar
    Free Member

Now I want someone to research the link between smoking and home ownership.

silverneedle
    Free Member

I sometimes smoke an imaginary pipe after a clever or witty quipp,
    im smoking one righhhht……now

molgrips
    Free Member

I have spent it all on shiny bike-related things instead

£9 for 20 @20/day

£9*365 = £3285/year

If you imagine keeping a bike for three years, that means you could always be riding around on effectively the most expensive MTB you could buy off the peg. And be riding considerably faster than you do now.

That’s what a 20 a day habit is worth.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here smoke a pipe?’ is closed to new replies.