Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone on here send their kids to private schools?
  • AB
    Free Member

Something my wife and I are seriously considering.

As you would expect, cost is probably going to be the deciding factor.

The school we’re looking at has annual fees of about £7,500 per year, payable across 3 terms, but I’m keen to find out about the other costs.

I’d imagine there will be costs for things like:

After school clubs
    Day/weekend trips
    School holidays abroad
    Meals
    Uniforms
    Books??

But I’d like to know if anyone has any experience of how much these things cost, and how much more you find you pay over and above the set fees.

Any help would be really appreciated in helping us make a properly informed decision.

Thanks.

grumm
    Free Member

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The fees for the public school I went to included everything you’ve mentioned other than tuck money and day/weekend trips.

It still has the same policy as my wife and I have recently been looking into sending my daughter to the same school.

As a full-scholarship pupil my parents didn’t need to pay the standard school fees and I chose to work at the stables after-school to cover my other outgoings as well as make use of the perk that was free riding lessons.

AB
    Free Member

Grumm – you’ll note that my question didn’t ask for opinions on ‘should people send their kids to private schools?’, but, knowing STW’s penchant for such debates, I fully expect some people will offer their opinion anyway…

-m-
    Free Member

It would be worth checking out how financially viable the school is. There have been a number of reports of private schools closing over the past year due to their business models being unsustainable when pupil numbers have dropped off. As well as the educational (and emotional) upheaval of having to move schools there’s the potential of losing any money you’ve paid up-front.

AB
    Free Member

Good point m

RudeBoy
    Free Member

If you send your kids to private school, they will be bullied and mugged by the kids from the rough comprehensive. This will lead to bedwetting and emotional problems. They will probably end up as serial sex killers, as a result.

Or Tory MPs…

AB
    Free Member

RudeBoy – 0/10

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The more ‘financially viable’ private schools at the moment are considered either those with a really well-known name (as they’ll always attract pupils), those that are well-used by military families (usually boarding schools as the MoD grants allowances to military personnel to send their children to boarding school to allow a continuous education) or those that are co-educational (use state and private funding for the schooling), such as my old school.

Oh and RB, comprehensives are for chumps who wish one day to get their 5 stars at McDonalds.

See, crass generalisations are fun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AB – Member
    RudeBoy – 0/10

IIRC correctly, RB spent some time at a private school….

Bedwetter!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Heh!

Rubber sheets for RudeBoy…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

BTW; I was JOKING, people…. 🙄

FuzzyWuzzy

MoD paid for my private education, pretty sure most standard stuff is included in the normal fees (books and meals were but uniforms weren’t nor were stuff like rugby kit or cricket whites which could get expensive although there was a lot of second hand kit available). School trips as part of lessons (say a geography field trip) were covered and trips to sports competitions were covered to, ofc this might not apply at all schools. Tuck money sadly was extra :p

andywhit
    Free Member

>IIRC correctly, RB spent some time at a private school….

Really ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    BTW; I was JOKING, people….

Jokes should be funny, you privately educated, bedwetting, sex killer, Tory MP.

😉

grumm
    Free Member

Anyway everyone knows private schools are not for bed-wetters, they are for arrogant wannabe alpha males like that chump off The Apprentice. 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

‘Let me talk to you about Yerp..’

Really ?

Yep. Got a scholarship thingy. I was expelled after two years, you’ll be pleased to hear.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I’m afraid I have never had to work out what it cost to send me to private school, but from personal experience:

I’m assuming it varies, but my school uniform was from Aitken and Niven. School blazers cost about 80-100 pounds.
    Books were also fairly expensive, but my school set up a website to sell on textbooks secondhand, so can save money that way. Otherwise, you’re buying biology books from Blackwells for about 20quid a pop. If your child is bright they might be able to win awards for academic achievement and get book tokens as a reward..

As for meals, we had to pay for them as well, but to be honest, there’s nothing wrong with taking a packed lunch. At our school we had a rotational queuing system which meant that sometimes you could only be let into the canteen with about 10 mins of lunch break left!

Again, school holidays aren’t compulsory, but my brother has recently been to the Alps on a geography field trip as well down to London to compete in some maths competition.. I’m pretty sure my parents had to pay extra

Looking at my old school website, if you want to send a primary school child on a school summer hockey camp it will cost you 140 pounds a week.

So yes, I’m guessing it depends what school you choose, but my school you pretty much have to pay for everything on top of bog standard school fees (the standard fees are a good bit more than 7,500 too, so maybe my old school’s just a bit of a rip-off)

I’m sorry I can’t provide you with a better overview – perhaps a better person to ask is my mum!

squin
    Free Member

AB, we do. My kids are in Yr1 and Reception. Our fees include virtually everything except trips (but not expensive at this stage, sure they will be in the future). My daughters school charges seperately for books, but it’s a nominal charge.

A friend’s son goes to MGS in Manchester and the extra costs at 2ndary level seems to be quite high with things like the History trip to Pompei, the Skiing trip to N America, and the summer rugby tour to NZ. The standard fees are about £8500/yr, but he recons that in reality it costs nearly double that with the extras! – Ouch!

I pay our fees monthly on DD, so have no concerns about their financial stability (although they are fine), you might be able to do the same. £4k a term upfront hurts a bit, so I prefer the monthly route.

Stu.

dave360

We have sent both our offspring, based on my experience of sitting at the back of a class of 40 in a state school and doing **** all. Private schools are either selective or will take anyone who can pay, so check which is best. The decider is whether your spawn is a swot or normal – because the selective ones will pressure from day one to hothouse for best results, and you’d better be prepared to provide support. The non selective type won’t be able to provide such glowing reports but will still give a better all round education based on good teacher quality and small class size. One other benefit is that there will be more “character forming” activities like DoE, public speaking, school plays etc… which a decent school will make sure that everyone is involved in. I certainly saw the difference in my sons at age 16 being able to talk confidently in public, compared to the shuffling, mumbling adolescent that I once was.

They went to Shoreham College and North Cestrian Grammar School FWIW.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Close friend has 2 boys at a local private school – fees about 1200 per kid per term so that seems on a par.
    Some of the on costs have made him wince a bit – mainly trips and after school activities, he found that trips and kit were premium priced and there was a lot of peer (kids, parents & staff) pressure to participate.
    I am sure that if you ask they will provide a full list of additional costs and options.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just called him to check and Squin spot on, he reckons on double the fees for a term’s budget.

bruneep

Anyone on here send their kids to private schools?

yes! although they just go to pilfer from the toffs lockers. 😉

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I work in a private school!!

Certainly at our school a lot of things are charged extra and can mount up to quite a lot extra depending on what they do etc. Our school is a boarding school as well so extra activities are organised which are available for day pupils as well and after school clubs like Judo, fencing, horse riding are all extra costs.

Most schools though are happy to give you a tour of the school and an outline of costs. Just have a list of questions you want to ask before going and make sure you get them answered.

I get staff discount but would have to work here for the entire school life of my children and as mentioned above, if I ever had to take them out and send them to a state school they would be bullied for sure so you really have to commit to the long haul of it all.

One other thing to consider is the fact that private schools have longer days and some work saturdays and then have longer holidays. If your child went to a state school and you felt they weren’t getting enough, would it be cheaper for extra private tutition at home after school or on a saturday morning. They would benefit from 1-1 tutition without the possible extra costs of private school fees and still be doing the same as a normal private school day. Our lessons finish at 4 and then clubs and prep (homework time) is between 4-6. Day pupils finish anytime between 4 and 6 depending on age, clubs etc.

The last option which a lot of people do is spend the extra money on moving to an area that has a better state school and get in the catchment area.

If you want more details let me know and i’ll email you.

southernsteel
    Free Member

I like this thread. I went to a private school but fortunately/unfortunately my mum was poor enough for my sister and I do get the most money off. Also we got academic scholarships so overall we only payed a third fees. Even so I didn’t go abroad for five years on holiday. I went to a tutor before the entrance exams so did my sister for exam preparation (at 10/11 you have only done SATS which are pants) so I think the money my mum spent before was definately worth it as we both did well in the exams. After that we were never pressurised into working hard although I’m sure some schools do. With regards to trips you had to pay but for the day trips it was never more than £20. Longer expensive ones were optional. I think you get more opportunites at a private school, I feel like it was definately worth the money but if you live near a really good state school…..Finally, I’m at uni now and the difference in value is ridiculous. I feel like I’m being cheated out of £3500 a year. Having a good time though 🙂
    Sorry it was a bit of an essay but hope it helps.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Some friends of ours had their children in a public “junior” (whatever the poshos call those ) school, they loved the school however on thinking ahead the only “secondary” public school which admitted girls in our vicinity had monstrous fees, beyond even their fat City salaries. Given that, they thought it would be better to move their kids into state education so the transition from Junior to Secondary wasn’t such a jump.

I’m all in favour of public schools but they definitely shouldn’t have charitable status.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’m all in favour of public schools but they definitely shouldn’t have charitable status.

Why?

richc
    Free Member

because they aren’t a charity, they are a business.

Tracey

Katie is in year 9 at Wakefield Girls High, the additional costs are trips, holidays and private music lessons, none are compulsory. Food, books and after school activities are in with the price.

School web site shows prices

http://www.wgsf.org.uk/

Abigale has passed the entrance exam and will start in September.Just bought Abigales uniform and all the sports kit which cost £200.The days are long [Katie gets up at 6.30am to catch a train, £16/week, and gets home at 6.00pm] and homework every night.
    Both our girls went to the local junior schools but the local senior school offered was not an option so both girls went to look round WGHS and were impressed, we gave both girls the option on where they wanted to go, both girls chose WGHS and as such we told them if they were prepared for the hard work and could pass the entrance exams we would somehow find the monies needed. It was either move home to find a decent school or sacrifice luxuries and find the fees. Katie hasnt been on any of the trips abroad and so far extra costs are about £100/year for trips.

Has it been worth the money, so far yes.

If you want any other info mail me

Tracey

jonb
    Free Member

I was there, not paying so I don’t have a full grasp of how much it cost.

There was no charge for afterschool clubs, I doubt there would be at any school. Weekend trips were often subsidised, non compulsary or cheap. Same with holidays, we had a couple of school camps, scouts, outdoor pursuits, language trips, ski trips etc. etc. Most were run cheapily, subsidised or grants were available. Again non compulsary so you can pick which ones to send your kids on.

Books will be provided.

Uniforms were expensive, I had a second hand blazer for most of my time there. So did lots of other people. When I got into 4th year and above we could wear suits so I had a cheap suit jacket.

I don’t know about where you are thinking of but at Bolton School. There was a huge amount of funding available for those who could not afford the various expensive activities offered. Lot’s of pupils were on scholorships of one sort or another. I know I got funding to go on several trips away by an organisation linked to the school (about £2k over 3 years).

Don’t worry about trying to keep up with other people, yes it would be nice to send your kid on every trip going but if you can’t afford it you won’t be the only one.

AB
    Free Member

Guys, pleasantly surprised by everyone’s constructive feedback. Am going to print off this page and give it to my wife to read tonight. Feel free to keep them coming.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

because they aren’t a charity, they are a business.

I was awarded a full-scholarship (foundationer) to attend the school I went to and many others who come from less-than-privileged backgrounds have so benefitted too. Most of the funding for scholarships is provided through donations to the school from old scholars (I myself give a donation yearly, which gift aid is claimed on) and any shortfall (though I can’t ever recall there being one) is made-up from school funds (as laid down in the school foundation articles).

Sounds a bit charity like to me.

Oooo, I can almost taste the slight under-current of (misdirected) class hatred.

markd
    Free Member

i went here:http://www.royalhospitalschool.org/

it was ace.

I wouldnt send my kids though as i couldnt afford it… ever…

My parents only paid 10% of the fees as it is run as a means tested charity system by Greenwich.

Give them the option to go but be prepared for them to want to leave in the first year. they will then love it and refuse to leave after that!

ourmaninthenorth

One point to bear in mind is the difference in charging that may be approached by independent day schools, and norm,al public schools.

Having been to the latter only (FOC – scholarship, natch), most costs (food, books, getting a kicking from the u6th at 3am) are all included in the fees, though extras like specific trips were not. After school activities were pretty much compulsory, but then when you’re at school for several weeks at a time, there’s not really any such thing as “after” school.

I’m all for it, but the costs can be enormous. My parents sacrificed a lot for the educaiton of me and my sister (both went to prep school, both went to (different) public schools). It benefitted me, but didn’t do a great deal for her, except to develop a combined arrogance and significant social insecurity.

You may wish to think of it like this: if your child is bright, they will do well in a state school anyway. If your child is thick, they will get certain benefits from state education (but probably better in an independent school). If your child is in the middle, they’ll have the least care in a state school, and so would benefit most from the smaller class sizes and more pastoral approach to education that exists in the private sector.

kevonakona
    Free Member

We are about £10k for the year. Books, trips, uniform extra. If a senior pupil goes on all trips through the last two years this can add to to 20 or 30 grand (no-one goe s on all trips).

I’m looking forward to Oct 1/2 term in the Red Sea 🙂

JosieJ
    Free Member

If you are looking at paying, there are also other options aside from mainstream public schools. Mine attend a Montessori school which is fee paying (although a little cheaper than the mainstream one) and has excellent outcome exam wise (class ratios are maximum of 1-10 in Montessori) as well as focussing on emotional and social development, world understanding etc. OFSTED recently commented that Montessori brings better outcome and many of the principles are now being introduced to early years state education ie phonics, learning through self selected play etc.

Typical private schools are not required to follow govt advice on best practice for early years and so can be old fashioned in their approach (although not always) so can be handy to read up yourself before looking round.

Mine are flexi schooled and so have 3 days at school and 2 days home-educated (we are lucky to have a huge home education network locally with tons of activities) but some attend 5 days 🙂

Feel free to contact me if you would like any further info as I have various bits collated and saved 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

Have 3 little ‘uns in private schools in London, am still getting my head around spending roughly 500k of earned income over the next 15yrs on their educations which is about the same price as a very nice second home somewhere warm with uplift facilities.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here send their kids to private schools?’ is closed to new replies.