Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone on here ride Time Trials?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if so, how long (with regular and fairly specific training) does it take to get from 30 minutes for 10 miles down to 25 min?

And other than putting 120psi in the tires, geting a big drop stem, TT bars and wearing the smallest helmet i can find, are there any more cost effective ways of increacing speed on a standard road bike?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

bring back the swear filter 😡

jedi

i used to do loads.turbo training was best/more precise

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

let’s not mention your times though eh Jedi 😉

jedi

🙂

Fagus
    Free Member

Took me no time at all to make that jump. It’s a relatively poor tester who can’t make 25 mins. The hard part is getting down from there. You can become quite anal about equipment and weight. Depends how keen you are. Don’t forget that good times won’t be easy to get until June when the weather warms up.

Most improvement comes with mental strength. You must learn to focus solely on what you are doing, and forget everything else. Don’t expect a good time if you’ve had a shitty day at work.

jedi

body position.
    get areo as you can without dropping your power.do this in incrememnts

jfeb
    Free Member

How fit were you, in relative terms, when you got 30mins? If very unfit, then dropping 5 mins off your time is probably just a matter of training properly. If you considered yourself pretty fit when you got 30 mins I suspect 25 mins isn’t possible.

In terms of cheap-ish kit upgrades, a set of 2nd hand tub wheels is probably the best thing you can do, although I am not an expert on time trials (it has been 15 years since I last did one!)

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Unfortunately it just comes down to training. I’ve got to admit that as a junior, with no specific tt training but quite a lot of cross and mtb racing I did 26.30 first time, so it’s just fitness in general I reckon.
    With a bit of training (road riding – never turbo) I got that down to 21.20 but I was much fitter then (15 years ago). It’s all about targeting a distance, I used to do 20 mins warm up, then flat out for 12 miles or so, then 20 mins warm down, in between big road and mtb rides the rest of the week.

No specific aero stuff apart from tri bars with no arm rests (to get lower) and a super light Giant Cadex 980C.

Ah past glories. Got overtaken by a bloke on a hybrid with panniers this morning – and I couldn’t be bothered to chase….

jojoA1
    Free Member

I believe you cn get quite cheap clip on tt bars which is what I was advised to get if I wanted to make easy/cheap changes to a standard road bike for improvements to speed.

uplink
    Free Member

Most improvement comes with mental strength. You must learn to focus solely on what you are doing, and forget everything else

IME that often includes other road users

marcus
    Free Member

spoon – Cheepest way to get quiker is to get fitter and ride more tests. A set of clip on tri bars are worthy investment, but other stuff only makes very small differences over 10 miles. I tested on a ribble touring bike for most of last year and managed well under your target.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Its down to practise at “your/our” level, the more you do the faster you get, thats a fact!!

The other thing is do “intervals” for a few weeks before and then taper down for the last 4 days or so. I improved my PB about six months ago with just two weeks of skull cracking intervals. 😆

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

My first 10 (3 years ago?) was a 25’00”. Took me 3 seasons to get under 22′. PB by close of last season was a 21’16”. Pointy helmets, skinsuits and tri bars do make a difference, but it really is down to legs and lungs. And after a while, technique. I did one on a ‘normal’ road bike wearing normal roadie kit and it was a good 2′ slower than usual.

I encouraged a mate to have a bash last year at our weekly Club 10. He started mid-season on his old steel cross bike, baggy shorts, MTB shoes… Almost every week thereafter he was knocking about 30s of his previous week’s time. He regularly got times of under just 22′ by the end of last season but he ‘plateaued’ there.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sessions when your out on the road, work on position and mental attitude. And keep an imaculate bike, good tyres and pressures will make a difference.
    Failing that find a faster course.

FWIW I was a pants tester, I don’t mean I tested pants I just was never that quick.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Remember that your course may be a limiting factor- my local few people go faster than 23′ on, and they include Carl Saint who’s just broken some record last year at the champs.

UncleFred
    Free Member

2 biggest equipment advantages in TT’s are gained from Aero Bars and wheels. I’m 2’30 quicker over 10 miles with just those.

Be able to concentrate on the task in hand is a huge benefit, I started day dreaming after falling into a Rhythm in a TT last year and missed out on first place by seconds. If I’d kept my focus I would have won.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here ride Time Trials?’ is closed to new replies.