Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone on here had bad FrostBite? (or any docs?)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gave myself a 3rd degree frostbite last night with an ice pack! Thankfully i took it off after 10 min and noticed, ohh that looks a bit off. Why is it so white, then bent my arm and noticed it was actualy solid and the skin could wrap arround underneath it!

Basicly i froze an area about 25cm by 8cm, to a depth of 1cm on the back of my triceps.

Defrosted it rapidly in a hot shower (my dear god that hurt) so it was only frozen for about 25min in total.

A&E checked it out and feeling returned properly after about 5-6 hours (infact its bloody tender).

They dressed up the freezer burn “its fine, theres just no skin” -Doc and its to stay like that for 48 hours.

Questions:
    How long till I no longer feel like my arm’s done 10 rounds with Tyson?

How long untill it stops feeling like I’m being jabbed with a needle every time i move my arm?

And yes i am an idiot.

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve had frostbite on my toes. Treatment from an Alaskan doctor was antibiotics in case of infection (I had continued to race for another 6 days on them so there was plenty of chance for mess) and painkillers – vicadin and ibuprofen.

Then, I just had to keep it clean. Fresh bandages every day for about a month.

Mine was diagnosed as 2nd degree and took 2-3 weeks to stop hurting all the time. Now, 2 months later, the skin hasn’t completely healed. It still has a scab on it, but at least doesn’t stick to my socks every day.

Good luck with the healing!

wheelz
    Free Member

I don’t know how it started, but one evening when I was a single soldier a few of us had a ‘who can withstand right guard deodorant sprayed on the nipple for the longest’ competition.

We discovered, as you do, that if you can withstand it for about 15 seconds then the nipple goes numb and you can hold out until the can is empty.

A winner was declared, and we all repaired to the bar.

Now, Catterick Garrison isn’t the warmest place in the world, even in July, but the Doctor was quite surprised to find six people outside his office the next day, all suffering from frostnip on one nipple. All the top layer of skin on mine turned black and fell off!

Thankfully for us, there isn’t enough deodorant in a can of Right Guard to give you deep frostbite, even on the nipple, and we’d all recovered within the week!

Oh how we laughed…

uplink
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ll be fine

IanMunro
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, that must have been an impressive ice pack! What did you use – dry ice?

ScotlandTheScared

I’ve had 3rd degree frostbite on my fingers. Wasnt bad enough to need drugs – just avoided putting my hands in hot water for a few days cos it was bloomin’ sore.

If you’re worried – go to the docs…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, we have an impressive freezer, it will freeze vodca/gin/whatever! Must be a broken thermostat, but the landlord pays the bills and buys cheep freezers so his loss.

as soon as i saw the mess i jumped in the shower and ran it hot, killed like nothing else but thawed it out quickly.

Now it looks like sunburn with the odd burst blood vessel. Oddly i never seem to bruise much so hoping it won’t turn black.

The pain is just wied though, feels like ive been punched in the arm, but it never gets any worse or dies down? And the random needle jabbing sensations are just offputting!
    Made me sick to look at it though, it was this great big soid lump under my skin, and whn i moved my arm you culd see the skin wraping arround it :-S

Just done a DIY dresing as the original fell off, covered it in antiseptic burn cream and clingfilm, hopefuly it’ll survive longer than the original.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here had bad FrostBite? (or any docs?)’ is closed to new replies.