Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone on here flown on a fighter jet plane ?? Or a commercial pilot…
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Hahah – Alderney, as mentioned above, has to be one of the best flying experiences you could have in the UK I reckon. My ex was an islander and I’ve spent more than a little time sat in that departures lounge waiting for fog to clear, but oh my, what a view as you come in over the Giffoine

My first ever time there I had aspirations of taking a guitar with me and my wife laughed and said ‘have you ever been on a small plane before?’, as in ‘where you going to put it?’

I scoffed that of course I had.

Well i thought I had but then even those small planes had central isles and a cabin crew. When the pilot opens the door for you and moves the seat forward so you can get in, you suddenly get a whole new perspective.

Sitting right behind the pilot as we came into Land at Aldernay was pretty awesome (almost as cool as taking off and landing in the glass nose cone of a Ilyushin Russian cargo plane.

Moreover why even bother to ask permission?!

Because somewhere in the world if fast jet jockey who is touching himself or herself in the knowldege that there are people like us cooing at their aushumness.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve been in a Tristar as a passenger while it was circling about the North sea and tanking numerous Tornados doing exercises. I was sat in a window seat near the port wing. A pair of Tornados appeared and sat just off the wing, then one at a time they slipped behind for a drink of fuel, returned to the wing and then when done they left. The bit that was most amazing was when I waved to the pilot of one of the Tornados, and he (or she) waved back 8)

Also been on a Sentry AEW, I was working on radars t the time and spoke to the radar tech and he kindly lifted the floor hatch and took me down to see the Klystron. *’kin hell it was big, like a dustbin! Shortly after something techie went a bit wrong so the exercise (again over the norht sea) doing fight er control was cut short and back to RAF waddington we went a bit early. Pilot loved that as it meant he had enough fuel to practice some landings. Think I managed to sleep through about 7 touch and gos.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    dovebiker

Nearest I’ve been in is the full blown Typhoon sim and chucked it about a bit.

I know pilots taking back-seat passengers like to prove the effect of negative-g on the contents of their stomachs.

Met a couple of SF Chinook drivers doing covert ops in the desert at night – literally looking out for buildings and pylons in NVGs – not much room for error.

What’s ridiculous is that some commercial pilots get paid less than tube and train drivers and to complete their training can end up with 6-figure debt.

seadog101

Closest I managed was when doing the Fighter Controller course at RNAS Yeovilton.

We got sent up in one of the FRADU Falcons, basically private jets that had performance close to that of the Sea Harriers we were learning to FC for. They were doing practise intercepts, so getting thrown around the sky under the direction of someone on a ship at sea.

Was somewhat concerning to see what you can do with one of them. Why the wings were not ripped of is beyond me.

I was very very sick, but it was worth it.

(I failed the course BTW, generally this was considered a good thing for all those involved in flying aircraft)

cobrakai

I’ve been up in my father in laws (retired BA 777) diamond for a go but that’s it.

As an ATCO I can request a familiarisation flight in the jump seat but I’ve never had the time. Want to hold out for a long haul as my mate ended up in Cuba!

From a professional point of view I’d love to do it. I really want to hear what it sounds like from the other end.

Every year we have courses where pilots from virgin, BA etc come along and we talk through what works best. Had Ryanairs chief pilot in for one last year. Top bloke.

Gary_C

I frequently look on ads-b exchange, some interesting military flying above the UK on most days. Infact a USAF C5A Galaxy currently doing circuits above Bury St Edmunds at the mo.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve sat upstairs on bus on my own before. Does that count?

mrsheen
    Free Member

ATC stories are probably scarier…

Eyepic
    Free Member

The Queen was kind enough to pay me to play in fast jets for a few years….so very kind of her.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Some really great perspectives on here:

Fast Jets

Looking at the vids on there, it stuck me how busy flying a fast jet is. Not much chance to savour the freedom and chuck it about for fun….

Also reminds me of my tourist heli flight down Grand Canyon. Pilot was busy on the radio pretty much all the time, making sure that post 911 air traffic controllers didn’t scramble the F16s from Nellis to keep us away from Vegas strip or the Hoover Dam….

Rich_s

Not even close…

TiRed

Teen2 is hoping to have his PPL before his A Levels. Would like to fly commercially. Brother in law is a helicopter pilot. My eyesight meant I’d never get a CPL. So it’s vicarious living if he doesn’t bankrupt me first!!!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Nah, coolest pilot ever? The late Bob Hoover…..

pondo
    Free Member

I’ve gotta say, that was very cool. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Queen was kind enough to pay me to play in fast jets for a few years….so very kind of her.

Indeed it was, so repay her subjects via a tale or two ?

I used to know Kevin Whyman through work, he invited me to go up in the Gnat but we never got it organised. He was killed in an air display crash at CarFest in Cheshire a few years ago.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My old boss managed to drop a bomb from a harrier whilst he was fixing its radio. The front of the bomb clunked into the hanger floor and the back bit was still attached to the plane. He then got on the radio to ask the ATC to get the bomb people to come and help him out.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One Phantom pilot I know managed to end up in the Atlantic as oppsoed to the Chanel as his navigator had his map the wrong way round.

Two ex A-10/Corsair II pilots I know enjoyed getting shot at over Vietnam.

One F-18 pilot I know, loved the job so much that when he retired he divorced his wife and moved to the middle east to carry on flying fast jets as an instructor. 😀

Although I have heard that flying CAP over the North Sea is boring as hell – but as a rule, if a pilot tells you that he hates his job – he’s either A) Lying B) Done 30 years or more flying airliners and never once used his job for coke and hookers without the wife knowing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bqx2wIQtKo[/video]

Whats not to like about the job? 😀

Rich_s

This thread reminds me of an old joke which can easily be modified…

How do you know you’re discussing stuff on tinternet with a fighter pilot?

He’ll tell you.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I had an airmiss with a large drone at Heathrow a few weeks ago

Was this you?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38264696
    Drones at 11,000 ft! I see that was claimed as a record in March, but I’m shocked a commercial drone can go that high.

dantsw13

No, mine was about 3 weeks ago – very similar incident, but the drone was bigger.

renton
    Free Member

Dantsw13. If you were flying hercs around 05-08 and came through Akrotiri it was probably me fitting the flares to it !!

I remember going out for a jolly on an sf herc in Iraq. The thing was so low that the pilot had to pull up and climb to clear the airfield perimeter fence.

Also flown in a sf Chinook into Basra palace to pick someone up. Was pretty daunting to be honest.

dantsw13

Left in 06, so probably met!!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

seadog101 – Member
    Closest I managed was when doing the Fighter Controller course at RNAS Yeovilton.
    We got sent up in one of the FRADU Falcons, basically private jets that had performance close to that of the Sea Harriers we were learning to FC for. They were doing practise intercepts, so getting thrown around the sky under the direction of someone on a ship at sea.
    Was somewhat concerning to see what you can do with one of them. Why the wings were not ripped of is beyond me.
    I was very very sick, but it was worth it.
    (I failed the course BTW, generally this was considered a good thing for all those involved in flying aircraft)
    POSTED 1 DAY AGO # SHARE

I used to maintain those Falcons. Dassault F20, heavily modified for the E/W role.

Believe me – I’m amazed those things still have wings! I remember my first flight in one – then working out why they came back bent…….

A

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I know it’s not a jet, but even so, you’ve gotta admit it’s quite impressive!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here flown on a fighter jet plane ?? Or a commercial pilot…’ is closed to new replies.