Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone on here flown on a fighter jet plane ?? Or a commercial pilot…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

… intrigued to hear stories ready Sully and whilst it sounds glamorous I’m sure it’s not.

Or even if you’re a normal pilot let’s hear your best and worst.

Thanks in advance

binners

I’m a fighter pilot, but to be honest its not what I expected when I signed up. We spend most of our time doing homoerotic shit on beaches….

Rockhopper
    Free Member
    perchypanther
    Free Member

binners – Member

I’m a fighter pilot…..

Call sign “Crayola”

homoerotic shit on beaches

Do NOT Google this at work.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Flaperon on here is supposidly a pilot. After seeing him struggle with a Garmin GPS I’d hate to watch him conduct the pre-flight checks 😯

LeeW

Isn’t Danstw or something an airline pilot?

jimdubleyou

doing homoerotic shit on beaches

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABavfazPTjo[/video]

buckster
    Free Member

Are’nt airline pilots a bit like clever bus drivers?

prawny

I’ve flown on a commercial aeroplane, but not the pilot, he was up front steering the thing.

IHN

Are’nt airline pilots a bit like clever bus drivers?

Yeah, they can use apostrophes correctly and evryfink.

Call sign “Crayola”[b]“Steakbake”[/b]

FTFY

ant77
    Free Member

Friend of mine was a forward air controller in the army and got taken up in a fast jet so he could appreciate what it’s like up there.

Was incredible. But he was sick, not so much a throwning up as the contents of his stomach were 2 feet above his actual stomach.
    Meant the ejector seat needed replacing as they couldn’t take chances with corrosion due to stomach acids.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Call sign “Crayola””Steakbake”

Top Bun?

Mowgli
    Free Member

A friend is a pilot, and he posted this the other day which made me chuckle.

Haha! This is awesome! Some spotter filmed my emotional landing at [—] last month… It was a student pilot flying the first approach, in really difficult crosswind conditions.
    The flare was a little aggressive, and during the subsequent float we had a pretty major malfunction, which resulted in all kinds of bells and whistles going off in the flightdeck. As a result the flight control computers went wibble, and the aircraft reverted to an alternate control law, which is not something you really expect to see for real. So as we flew down the runway, waiting for the engines to spool up, we were working like one-armed paper hangers! I love how serene it looks from the spotter’s viewpoint!
    We subsequently declared an emergency, got in the way of most traffic into [—–], and landed on vapours about 20 minutes later.
    And to round off a bad day, the hotel they put us up in didn’t even have a bar!

qwerty
    Free Member

A guy at work was in the military, they were flying somewhere in a big jet, whilst in the air the pilot was stupidly taking photos and sent the plane into a nose dive (i believe the co pilot was thrown about the cabin caught unawares), the plane would have crashed except for the 3 on board computers all agreeing a crash was inevitable – so they took control and saved the day. Upon landing all the military guys were ready to lynch the (military) pilot (who got sacked)!!! The whole group wouldn’t get back on another jet, they had to send something with propellers to collect them, a psyc team to deal with the trauma risk management & a doc to sedate the few who just couldn’t cope with getting back onto a plane (they had considered a land evac)

Cool story bro! And true by all accounts.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Coolest airplane story ever……

The ultimate ground speed check

Murray

I’ve been in a 2 seat Jaguar (one per squadron for evaluations) whilst somebody else flew it at low level over Germany, including diving run on the ranges. Things come up bloody fast (especially the ground when you’re diving on a target)! The visibility was pretty poor too – I’d have thought twice about flying a Cessna in those conditions.

I’ve also been in a Hawk around Wales whilst the pilot (instructor) was being evaluated. I threw up but managed to get it in the sack.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Do NOT Google this at work.

the jury is now deliberating why you would have googled it at work reasoning dictates this may be why your warning others.

renton
    Free Member

Qwerty…… That happened not so long ago on a RAF voyager. pilot wasnt taking photos but had his camera dangling off his seat and when the seat was motored it hit the controls and sent the plane into a nose dive. the co pilot actually broke his back.

They sent out a Tristar to pick them up.

lowey

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDpjV43oVc[/video]

matt_outandabout

According to a pal who is medium hall coach driver pilot, it is half an hour of stress to make your take-off slot on time. Three hours of boredom. 2 mins of uber stress getting the can on the floor again.

Repeat ad infinitum.

What she does say is that the whole rest/flying hours per week thing means that the amount of time off is good.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mrs GeeTee is a commercial pilot – has been flying since she was 14, PPL on her 18th.

A cool story:

She grew up on the island of Guernsey and her grandmother lived on Aldernay. After she got her PPL, while still doing her A-Levels, she would come home from school, pop down to the airport where she had a part lease on a small plane, fly over to see her grandmother and be back in time for tea and stickies. She used to do this as a way of getting her flying hours up.

A few years ago we went to visit her grandmother. The island is notorious for getting fogged in and while waiting to depart I got chatting to a guy in the aiport. I asked if he was on the same flight back to Guernsey as us and he very casually quipped he was heading back to Guernsey but he was doing so in his own plane.

He felt a little denuded when I told him how my wife used to do just the same thing when she was still at school.

What she does say is that the whole rest/flying hours per week thing means that the amount of time off is good.

Yeah it’s also not what it used to be. They passed the EASA didn’t they?

Flaperon

Flaperon on here is supposidly a pilot. After seeing him struggle with a Garmin GPS I’d hate to watch him conduct the pre-flight checks

Cheeky bastard. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Qwerty…… That happened not so long ago on a RAF voyager. pilot wasnt taking photos but had his camera dangling off his seat and when the seat was motored it hit the controls and sent the plane into a nose dive. the co pilot actually broke his back.

They sent out a Tristar to pick them up.

YES – thats the one!!! A funny story to hear, but i think it had a lasting effect on him. He’s a dead nice guy – no longer in the RAF.

It was plummeting at a pace of 15,800ft a minute during the 27-second spell.

Pierre

@lowey – that’s G-LOC, we had fun playing with that and compensation strategies on the human centrifuge (yes, that’s just what it sounds like) in the last year of my degree!

A friend of mine grew up in rural Michigan, where her parents’ farm and those of their neighbours were so huge that they’d often fly from one farm to another. They all had little crop-dusters and light aircraft, and most farms had space for a landing strip, so it was often the easiest way to get around.

Think of what kids get up to on farms in the UK, driving tractors and quad bikes, and add aeroplanes, and you get a taste of some of the stories she has of her childhood. It was also apparently not uncommon for one farm to host a big barn party, lots of neighbouring families would fly in, park up, party into the night and then fly home absolutely hammered. She remembers her dad flying 5 of them home late one night from a Halloween party with one hand over one eye, because that was the only way he could stop himself seeing double. It sounds like a miracle they’re all around to tell the tale!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Speaking of the Blackbird, the wife once over heard a radio request to descend to 78,000ft.

Where the heck do you descend to 78,000ft from?

To put it into context, she was at twenty something thousand ft.

willard

I can vouch for Alderney being a sod to land at/take off from. One of my last flights out in a Trislander involved a horrible crosswind and a very steep bank around the tower after a very short takeoff. That was a short flight back to Southampton.

jemima
    Free Member

It is about helicopters in ‘Nam but I urge you to read Chickenhawk. You’ll love it. Some flying stories in that like…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Coolest airplane story ever……

The ultimate ground speed check

Yeah, the Sled Driver stuff is pretty cool. Remember one when the plane basically broke up at something stupid like mach 2, really scary.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Isn’t Danstw or something an airline pilot?

Not any important routes, that’s for sure.

A other ace aviation tale here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/brian-coxraf-owe-me-a-new-ipad

nickc

Old man was something with Radar in the RAF and often flew lightnings with the chief instructor Brian Carroll. They had some “rocket ships” that they used to play about with on 92sqn in Germany. On one occasion they were exercising with some German and Italian 104’s to pretend to be Mig25s (the 104 being the only thing they though fast enough to give some sort of accuracy) and some the Lightnings could outrun them in level flight, and this was the two seat variant.

Carroll reckoned that it would run out fuel before the speed max’d out.

irelanst
    Free Member

I was in the air cadets at school and each summer camp the best NCO got to have a ride in a fast jet, so I was a proper brown nose for the whole week and got to fly in most of the recent jets. Always puked, a pilot told me once they will chuck it about until you do anyway so not much point trying to hold it in.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hahah – Alderney, as mentioned above, has to be one of the best flying experiences you could have in the UK I reckon. My ex was an islander and I’ve spent more than a little time sat in that departures lounge waiting for fog to clear, but oh my, what a view as you come in over the Giffoine 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

I was taking a cadet flying when I briefly worked for the Navy. He puked right in my face. No warning. It went in my mouth.

One of my proudest moments in 20 years of flying was remaining calm and not totally freaking out.

To answer the OP, I’ve flown whizz-jets (Hawk) and now fly heavy jets, having flown a wide variety of aircraft of all shapes and sizes and performance.
    Sully did a superb job and there are many that haven’t had the opportunity of throwing an aircraft around at its limits to fall back on. I know those stick and rudder skills I acquired in the Mob saved my life on a couple of occasions.

With regards to being a bus driver, last night’s 9 hour flight was anything but the boredom described above.

GrahamS

While we are on the subject, here’s Destin with a really nice video graphically demonstrating why you “put your own mask on before helping others”.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw[/video]

Fairly sobering!

njee20
    Free Member

Where the heck do you descend to 78,000ft from

Moreover why even bother to ask permission?!

hora
    Free Member

I’ve been up with fast jet/trainee fast jet pilots when I was in the ATC.

Funny thing is I’m scared shitless of commercial jets yet I’d jump in a two seater etc without a thought.

dantsw13

As a young RAF pilot, it never worked as a chat-up strategy, as every lad from the base was a pilot on a night out!!

Lots of cool stories as a C130 pilot in the RAF – flying over the remains of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, or Saddams summer palace at 250ft. I even managed to set Baghdad Airport on fire when my Defensive Flares auto-deployed in the landing flare!

Airline wise, much more standard flying. I try to have as few incidents as possible in order to keep my job. I had an airmiss with a large drone at Heathrow a few weeks ago.

Glamour? I go to some amazing places, staying in very nice hotels. The views into Male (Maldives) and San Fransisco are pretty special, as are flying over Greenland, seeing the Northern Lights and the Alps.

The best part of my job is taking my bike with me to most destinations – I regularly ride around Tokyo, San Fran, Rio, Bermuda, Boston and loads of other places.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

The voyager incident was a bit “interesting”…….from a professional point of view!

Mate of mine works at AirTanker who operate Voyager for the RAF – he was onboard at the time.

I was involved in some of the post incident analysis at work (work for one of the companies who are part of the AirTanker consortium.

Flight control laws saved that A/C……..

A

jambalaya
    Free Member

Had a chance to see Sully last night but we chose Allies, will try and see it on the big screen.

@geetee and @dan love those stories (not the drone one 😐 )

Never got close to solo but have done a quite a bit of gliding which I loved. Not sure I’d have the bottle to go solo now. Did some fun stuff with Air Cadets out Hamble in Chipmunks, to me a proper plane has propellors and takes off from a grass airfield. I’d be all over the £10k Sptfire flights if I won the lottery. Used to take turbo-prop commuter flights in and out of Jersey and Guernsey a lot when I was sailing.

Other people’s stories … heard many great ones from a sailing friend, Emirates pilot/trainer and ex RAF flying Vulcans. Not going to share here as I could imagine at least some where not consistent with approved procedures, spooking Russian warships at dawn in Med via low level overflights. His stories about getting into the original HK airport make you glad they built the new one 😯 I did a simulator session at LHR on a corporate jolly and we asked for HK and they just laughed as it would be a total waste of time and “crashing” the simulator was not pleasant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here flown on a fighter jet plane ?? Or a commercial pilot…’ is closed to new replies.