Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Anyone on here do Crossfit.
  • willard

I’m not saying that I have travelled the world and gone to a million different Crossfit gyms, but… Work sent me to the US West Coast earlier in the year for four days. I knew I was going to be jet-lagged to hell for the whole time I was there, so I thought I would at least try and fill my early mornings.

I found NorCal Crossfit in the nearby location and they did an early, early morning class and were very relaxed about me turning up to it a couple of times. It was very much like being at the gym I normally go to; people made me feel welcome, there was a lot of banter and the instructor was happy to help get the movements right.

I _like_ that Crossfit is (generally) more social than a standard gym. I don’t buy into the paleo lifestyle, but I do enjoy the banter, the varied workouts and the more technical aspects of lifting. Then again, one of my regular instructors is pretty keen to make sure that any lifting that we do is spot on for form.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Crossfit = Gym Strava

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

My Chiro LOVES CrossFitters!!!

I was one for many years, but the injury rates were phenomenal (myself included!) and regular folks being struck down with Rhabdo – a very serious disease only normally seen within the forces or extreme enduro athletes.

Now, i’m back to my roots Thai Boxing and riding the good old steed! Injury free for 2 years! 🙂

Give it a try and if you like it, fine, if not, dont worry about it. Theres other stuff.

Be prepared though to encounter some right c*cks. There were / are some at the one i went to. Two weeks in and they thought they were in the SAS! Tragic. Still MTB’ing attracts its fair share of ‘enthusiasts’ though!!

jools182
    Free Member

no-one i know cares or is impressed i can do 40 straight pull ups.

as I can’t do 3, I’m quite impressed

footflaps

I found NorCal Crossfit in the nearby location and they did an early, early morning class and were very relaxed about me turning up to it a couple of times. It was very much like being at the gym I normally go to; people made me feel welcome, there was a lot of banter and the instructor was happy to help get the movements right.

What I like about the US boxes is they all seem to have a first visit free policy, which makes going to a gym in a random town when on business very easy.

bigrich

it seems to be a very effective method of becoming a musclebound lump of beef – handy for hanging round the park taps off and getting sleeve tattoos, but not much use if your a cyclist

wrecker
    Free Member

it seems to be a very effective method of becoming a musclebound lump of beef –

Actually the joke is;
    Crossfit; turns women into men and men into women!
    It has been established that the biiiig, top crossfitters (such as Froning and Klokov) don’t train crossfit (as crossfitters do).

footflaps

top crossfitters (such as Froning and Klokov)

You’re confusing sports there, Klokov has never competed in crossfit and is a recently retired Olympic weight lifter (20yr career inc World Champion, Olympic medal holder). He is now making a living doing OL seminars (mainly in Crossfit boxes) and is coming to Scotland next month for a quick tour of a few boxes. He also has his own line in OL lifting kit, mainly targeted at CF.

One of the good things to come out of CF is the fact it has introduced 1000s of people to olympic lifting and as a result OL is having a bit of a resurgence. Our local Olympic Lifting League is growing 100% every year all fed by CF.

jimmy

It’s just circuits.

For anyone In Sheffield the fitness club is a small independent gym doing excellent t classes with great instruction. Since leaving Sheffield I’ve never found a gym that comes close.

wrecker
    Free Member

Klokov is crossfits current poster boy. He pops up in anything CF related so please forgive me for not knowing he’s not a CFer, but it’s strongly implied.

footflaps

Actually the joke is;
    Crossfit; turns women into men and men into women!
    It has been established that the biiiig, top crossfitters (such as Froning and Klokov) don’t train crossfit (as crossfitters do).

so please forgive me for not knowing he’s not a CFer, but it’s strongly implied.

Not implied at all, he’s actually recently signed up to a team in a rival sport (NPGL) which pretty much means he’s persona-non grata at CF HQ (they’ve threatened to disown other CF athletes who sign with NPGL, including getting one or two major stars to withdraw from NPGL).

Like I said, most people who slag off CF don’t actually know anything about it!

wrecker
    Free Member

I haven’t slagged it off. And I’ve trained at two different boxes for a few months, so I know a lot more than most. Like I said it’s fun, but nothing revolutionary and is more of a w@nker magnet than even most bodybuilding gyms.
    WRT the klokov thing; it doesn’t matter. They’ll fall out and Glassman/Castro will slag him off eventually just they do with everyone.

footflaps

They’ll fall out and Glassman/Castro will slag him off eventually just they do with everyone.

I don’t think Klokov would even notice. You obviously have no idea how big he is in weight lifting, he is a living legend.

wrecker
    Free Member

I do know who Klokov is, and his accomplishments.
    He still doesn’t train crossfit (except for the cameras)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

it seems to be a very effective method of becoming a musclebound lump of beef

Really? Doing a random selection of random stuff has been fairly well established as being a good way of not becoming any different at anything.

I submit any musclebound beefcakes doing crossfit are actually bodybuilders on a holiday.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here do Crossfit.’ is closed to new replies.