Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone on a 29er gf ferrous?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I havent seen that many appear on here but i know there must be a few folk using them-how do people have them set up esp at the front end stem length etc, pics if you have em

halfbee
    Free Member

17.5" frame, 80mm stem fork set to 100mm.

The handling is ace but it gets really springy and waggishly at high speed on the road.

bananaworld
    Free Member

waggishly"…??

I've replaced the Reba Races on the 2008 one I've got with Surly Karate Monkey forks but haven't quite finished building it up yet…

Looks nice in almost-On-One-"That Blue"…

Anyone interested: there's 29er Reba Race and Bonty 29er wheels for sale in the classifieds 😀

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-29er-bonanza-new-bits-rs-reba-race-bonty-race-lite-wheels-and"

robkhoo
    Free Member

Used to look like this, 19" frame, fork at 100mm and 80mm stem with 26" bars, but I recently swapped over to a 60mm stem and 28" bars to calm it down a bit as it's rather twitchy. Semms to be a bit better so far.

fontmoss
    Free Member

interesting robkhoo i did the opp and went to shorter bars and longer (than stock) stem to slow it down, though still need to adjust my forks to 100mm id also like some long rigid forks to provide the same effect-not many come in at longer than 460mm though 🙁

im also considering h bars again or if i decide i dont need my spine maybe a ss trek 69er

robkhoo
    Free Member

It was also rather flexy at the front end originally – tiny head tube, standard diameter bars and stem, qr hub and 28 spoke front wheel, which didn't help (I weigh about 13st). It's now got a 32h front wheel with a steel 9mm through bolt with a 15mm track nut on the end of it, and oversize bars and stem. Not bothered about the extra weight as I have a rigid ss that weighs 21 lb or so.

halfbee
    Free Member

The back end is really flexy but I an only feel it on the road, on the trail a friend described the way the bike twangs out of bends as the same as a good pair of skis carving a turn.

fontmoss
    Free Member

flexy at the back and stiffer bb shell are things i prefer over the rigs i had but front just seems like a couple degrees off being awesome

SSBonty
    Free Member

Only had a few rides so far – Fox 100 forks, not the new rake ones, 90mm stem, 26ish bars. It's twitchy compared to the steel hardtail it replaced – a bontrager so pretty old! (Actually on warranty when the Bonty snapped – great service from Trek).

robkhoo – didn't the shorter stem speed things up even more or was this cancelled by the wider bars?

I noticed a little sideways flex in the rear – a 2.35 Rampage (which seems bigger) rubs ever so slightly when really hooning out of corners but thats about it.

Might try slightly wider bars if that'll slow things a bit, other than that its been fun so far 🙂

robkhoo
    Free Member

didn't the shorter stem speed things up even more or was this cancelled by the wider bars?

Cancelled out by the wider bars and the extra stiffness, I suppose. Feels nicer that way anyhow.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

just been out on this round delamere forest this evening (the bike not the pussy)

set up single speed 32:20 (cause i am soft), and i've just put a 27" risers and a 90mm stem on it, plus increased the travel of the forks to 100mm

it is ace in the forest singletrack, its a nice/springy frame, the 2.2 acx's do rub a little bit on the rear – my only gripe is this it is a bit twitchy going down steep sections, the 72.6 degree head angle doesn't help, that is why i've increased the fork travel to 100mm

was getting some ribbing for these seat stays tonight as well 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah i think im going to jack up the rebas to 100mm but tbh i like using the rigid fork but because thats shorter then youre back to steep head angle. so either going to put some h bars back on it or poss part exchange for a rig and try and sort out a trek 69er as a second mtb (not that i have time to ride 1 never mind 2 mtbs)

loving the black paintjob btw!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone on a 29er gf ferrous?’ is closed to new replies.