• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Leku.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone (non native) recently applied for/got an Irish passport?
  • Leku
    Free Member

I’m British and my wife is Spanish, so Brexit is a right pain in the arse. The kids have Uk passports but its ‘fairly’ straight forward to get them Spanish ones.
    I’m thinking of getting an Irish one. My great-grandfather was Irish (born in Cork) and my Dad has agreed to get an Irish passport (which in turn would allow me to get one).
    I did live in Ireland as a child and my parents have owned a house there since 1970, so I do have a connection to the place.
    Anyone else looking at getting one?

cornholio98
    Free Member

I did this some years ago and my did didn’t need to get one. In any event the procedure will be roughly the same.

Get birth (and death if appropriate) certs for your grandad. If he is alive you will need a copy of current passport if available
    Get marriage cert for him and you grandmother
    Get birth marriage and current id for you dad
    Get your birth cert and current id.

Once you have this you can be registered as a foreign birth. This gives you a “birth” certificate which you can use to apply for an Irish passport

You didn’t need to live there or have a permanent connection when I did it 10 or so years ago.

One thing to be warned is the people who can sign off on stuff are different than for uk documents but it shouldn’t be an issue to find people.

aracer
    Free Member

As I commented on the EU vote thread, my UK one has just run out, and it seems getting an Irish one instead of renewing my UK one might make life easier. My grandad was born in Ireland (though before partition – dad was born in the UK also before partition). Interested to see about getting your entitlement through your dad getting one – so my kids would also be entitled to one if I got one?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Bah sorry miss read the great….

Still will be the same procedure for your dad then you will just use his certs to register then apply for the passport.

frankconway

My mother was irish – as in irish parents and born in eire – so i have automatic irish citizenship and am guaranteed a passport when I apply.
    This will, in turn, guarantee irish passports for my children – if they apply – unless there’s a change in the rules/eligibility.
    Go to irish passport office website for full details on eligibility and process.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

My mum was born in Ireland. She doesn’t have an Irish passport but I applied for one last month. It’s a slow process. Eligibilty for citizenship by descent is detailed here

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, interested here as my grandad was from cork. Wonder if I can still get his paperwork?

Can you have an Irish and a UK one at the same time?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Can you have an Irish and a UK one at the same time?

Yes
    You can apply for most (but not necessarily all) Irish birth etc certs you might need for your application through the HSE website here

pyranha

There is some confusion here between citizenship and passports. You can be an Irish citizen without a passport. I’m currently both a British and an Irish citizen despite not having a valid passport.

The first thing you need, if not born on the island of Ireland, or born to a parent born etc, is to be on the Foreign Births Register. I think you can only be on that if you have a parent who was a citizen when you were born. There’s a nominal cost to this. Once registered, any children you have post-registration can also be registered.

As mentioned above, the list of signatories is stricter than for U.K. And be aware that both the Foreign Births Register and passport office do call your signatories to check they’re real – happened when registering my son and his first passport; and an uncle had his passport application rejected because his dentist was on holiday when they called (a few weeks, I don’t know how often they try).

There is nothing in either UK or Irish law to prevent you having both citizenships and both passports.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m waiting to see how things pan out with travel post brexit. I sometimes need to take equipment on flights and if this means no carnet or customs issues then I’ll get an Irish passport.
    Basically you need the proof of lineage so in my case:
    Mothers birth certificate (english)
    Grandmothers marriage cert (married here)
    Grandmothers birth certificate (born in Cork)

Dolcered

I had both uk and Irish for a while. I was paying for two and only using one, so Irish only it is.

IHN

Attaining Irish citizenship is is something my sister is doing at the moment and I’ll very probably do after her (cos I’ll need to wait for her to have finished with the paperwork).

She’s doing it because she works in Germany at the moment, and being an academic she needs/wants to be able to work anywhere in Europe without any issues. I’ll be doing it, well, mainly on principle to be honest; I consider myself a European and the Little England mentality is something I want to be as far away from as possible.

Maternal grandmother was Irish, so pretty straightforward.

mrmo
    Free Member

I filled out a form to the Irish registry office to get a copy of my dads birth cert (born in Clare),i did need to know when and where he was born and also some details of his mum. Sent that cert off to Cromwell Road along with my UK passport and a couple of bills, to show residence, and some photos. Got both passports back a few weeks later.

and just a note, for EEA travel rather than carry the passport you can get a card passport as well.

https://www.dfa.ie/passportcard/

Leku
    Free Member

Thanks all. It still seems a lot less painful than trying to get a Spanish one.
    I didn’t know about the ID cards – that would be really usefully as in Spain they expect them for everything (signing for packages, buying a new gas bottle etc).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone (non native) recently applied for/got an Irish passport?’ is closed to new replies.