Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone near Durham? What's the weather like?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I might be driving up there from Southampton on Wednesday morning. I was wondering what the conditions are like up that way.

colnagokid

Snowy and still snowing up here, I think the A1 might have been closed earlier. And the forecast is for more snow

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hmmm…

Perhaps I can work remotely.

Creg

Snowing here now (North Yorks/Cleveland), and the roads are blocked due to stranded buses and trucks. Heard its worse further north from a couple of friends in Darlington.

Swelper
    Free Member

Im just outside Durham (3Miles)

Main roads okish slushy but drivable with ease, anything after that quite bad, bearing in mind there is appx another 5 inches due today / tonight with gale force winds…….. (this may vary depending upon which weather report you look at)

Its snowing on and off very heavily, and had some thunder too….mad

On open ground (Waldridge Fell) about 8 inches

Probably better gauging it tomorrow to be honest

Got a bit bored in the house and went for a bike ride, what appears to be the whole estate are out cleaning drives and roads, great community spirit. Even got on with with the next door neighbour who have not spoken to for years (something to do with trimming his trees on my side of the garden then inviting him round for beer)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can you get me a little Durham Cathedral tourist tat thing please. Thanks.

X

Xylene
    Free Member

School was shut for me today.

Roads are poor, drivers even worse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you get me a little Durham Cathedral tourist tat thing please. Thanks.

X

What is it with you and toursit tat, eh? 🙂

Swelper
    Free Member

As i type is snowing really heavily, think heavy rain fall but snow……and lying….!

Shackleton

Snowing heavily at the south end of Durham right now, roads were shocking earlier, probably worse now. There is about 1ft of snow on the grass outside the lab window. Should be fun getting home……

How things are at the moment with road clearance and people who can’t drive yet insist on getting out on the road, if you set off Wednesday you might get here for Thursday!

Xylene
    Free Member

How things are at the moment with road clearance and people who can’t drive yet insist on getting out on the road, if you set off Wednesday you might get here for Thursday!

I was out yesterday with a friend in his Ford Ranger. RWD and sideways everywhere he could go. Plonker thinks he’s Colin Macrae, however at no point was he out of control of the vehicle, unlike the two others we saw wrecking their cars on the kerbs.

user-removed
    Free Member

Like this – taken about five minutes ago…..

goslow

That last photo looks just like my garden about 5 miles north of Durham. Snow over a foot deep last time I checked. Didn’t even attempt to take the car out today.

MoreCashThanDash

It was pretty bad in Durham today.

I know this because my employer – your government – sacked a load of staff around the country and centralised our call centre and admin facilities up there. Very few of them got in to work today, those that did were sent home early.

The rest of us around the country drank a lot of cups of tea today as there was no one to put the work into the system…….

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i just got off the phone with my dad, who if i remember correctly lives in the same town as “user removed” which is about 5 miles outside of durham, towards sunderland… and he said there’s about 18″ or so lying in his garden this evening.

Xylene
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see if school is open tomorrow or not.

At least the parent’s evening is canceled

Davy
    Free Member

There’s still about a foot of snow here, but it’s actually been raining a bit, and starting to melt a bit. More snow due tonight and tomorrow though…

PS. Swelper, where were you on Sunday? I ended up riding round beamish on my own! (for about 10 minutes before going home)

Swelper
    Free Member

Davy,

Had a taste for the beer on Sat night…..

Will be riding to work tomorrow though….the car is well n truly snowed in….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What is it with you and toursit tat, eh?

I dunno; I’ve just developed a penchant for that sort of stuff! Not the really nasty toot though; stuff like mini replicas of buildings and that is what I like. Or little hand-made things; me mum brought me back a tiny hand-made lifeboat from Cornwall this summer, I’ve got a hand-carved Jaguar’s head from Mexico, as well as elephants from Africa and India!

WCA very kindly bought me back an apple-shaped mini glass snowstorm souvenir recently; it’s got a mini-NY scene complete with Empire State and Chrysler buildings, Statue of Liberty, and a tiny yellow cab! It’s very beautiful. 😥

I’ve got a great little collection of souvenirs now. Always glad for more though!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone near Durham? What's the weather like?’ is closed to new replies.