Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Anyone monitor their bodies PH levels?
  • iamroughrider
    Free Member

If so do you have any tips for maintaining a more alkaline diet?

Any ideas or advice welcome too.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Which bit of your body’s ph are you monitoring?

nedrapier

chalk.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

More bicarb of soda – and that’s an ingredient in cake, right?

iolo
    Free Member

How’s your stomach acid?

footflaps

You could try drinking diluted Bleach – that should neutralise your stomach acid a bit.

crikey
    Free Member

I monitor peoples body pH as part of my job; do stop being silly.

Read this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid%E2%80%93base_homeostasis

dreednya

raisins and spinach are good for making the gut more alkaline. Eat raisins when you get heart burn and the results are surprising :). Some good things in ‘The Paleo Diet for Athletes’ I remember

jim25

Whats the need to to monitor ph levels then?

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve come across this from mostly American folk who seem to think that their health is adversely effected by their bodies pH and that they have some control over it.

Some vague sort of info here:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/alkaline-diets-what-to-know

cinnamon_girl

Apple cider vinegar?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

What a load of Bollocknaise

legspin
    Free Member

Are you trying to get pregnant?

maccruiskeen

Are you trying to get pregnant?

As chat up lines go that pretty, erm, direct.

kimbers

In the lab we use a pH probe

Im not sure where you should insert it to get the most accurate reading
    …. 😳

and should include temp probe as pH varies a lot with temperature

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve been monitoring my blood colour for a while. It’s pretty much always red. I’d like it to be more green so it blends in with the countryside a bit better. Will eating more greens help?

shermer75
    Free Member

My instant reaction to that is that it sounds like quackery, but I am an ignoramus. Educate me! 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Trying to change your body pH by eating is the same as trying to change its temperature by eating ice lollies; it won’t work.

Your body has a pre-set pH range outside of which it goes horribly wrong; hence how ever many years of evolution which has resulted in the homeostatic mechanism described above.

Again; stop being silly.

footflaps

OK, call me old fashioned, but I’m prepared to bet a substantial sum, say 17 pence, that if you took someone’s ph before and after drinking three bottles of Domestos, there would be a noticeable change in ph level.

We just need a volunteer for this cutting edge experiment…..

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh! I have ice lollys in the freezer!

Davesport

I’ve come across this from mostly American folk who seem to think that their health is adversely effected by their bodies pH and that they have some control over it.

Some Americans are also Doomsday Prepping for when the Earths magnetic field reverses itself again.

Haven’t you heard of Colonic Irrigation ?

D.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh dear, why why why why why?

Too much internet hypochondria perhaps….

anagallis_arvensis

I am constantly monitoring my pH levels, dont even have to think about it.

ratherbeintobago

Your body has a pre-set pH range outside of which it goes horribly wrong; hence how ever many years of evolution which has resulted in the homeostatic mechanism described above.

This.

oldnpastit

I think you would know if your pH was off.

In fact, if you are exercising hard, you end up producing lactic acid. Your body (a truly miraculous piece of engineering) will do lots of very clever chemistry which I won’t pretend to understand in order to stop this being a problem. If it can’t keep up then you end up hurting, and eventually stop.

This happens to me quite often.

I don’t think a more alkaline diet would help with this, although getting fitter might.

LHS
    Free Member

Cup of lemon and ginger tea every morning to start the day. Does the job. Cut out dairy.

Done.

IHN

I smell quackery

LHS
    Free Member

You have to recognise that the body has different levels of ph and for example stomach ph does not affect blood ph. Good diet and help your body maintain it’s natural stomach and digestive system ph but will have no difference at all on blood ph.

scaredypants

I use conditioner that’s in balance with my hair’s pH and I’m bloody lovely, so it must work

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Alkaline diet is a favourite subject of the tinfoil woo your-doctor-is-lying brigade.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

these help

as usual PP gift 2 cows

molgrips
    Free Member

There was an article in New Scientist a long time ago saying that certain foods did have a net effect on your body’s pH. It wasn’t toe oH of the foods themselves that wad important but the metabolites. So acidic fruit had a net alkaline effect and stuff like meat and cheese acidic.

IIRC the main thrust was about osteoporosis, a more acidic environment being not helpful.

LHS
    Free Member

What molgrips said and what is stated in the links ormondroyd posted. You can not alter your blood ph, but certain types of food will help your body manage the natural ph level in your stomach and digestive system. Hence the lemon and ginger tea comment.

molgrips
    Free Member

I should add that the upshot of the New Scientist article was that we should eat plenty of fruit and veg. So that’s hard to argue with 🙂

DrP

I should add that the upshot of the New Scientist article was that we should eat plenty of fruit and veg, and avoid drinking bleach”

FTFY

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

I drank bleach once, didn’t do me any harm.

Well actually it did, just not lasting.

natrix
    Free Member

I drank bleach once, didn’t do me any harm.

I heard it sent you clean ’round the bend!! 😀

footflaps

I should add that the upshot of the New Scientist article was that we should eat plenty of fruit and veg, and avoid drinking bleach”

I’m concerned that Bleach is being made a scapegoat without the proper evidence. I suggest we conduct a double blind trial using STW members and Domestos.

DrP

Can I be in the placebo arm of the double blind trial please…*

DrP

*geeky evidence-based-medicine joke there, sorry….

footflaps

Yes, of course, but could you just drink this bottle of acrid, unlabelled viscous liquid first……..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Anyone monitor their bodies PH levels?’ is closed to new replies.