Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone missing their old Hardcore Hardtail now they've moved to FS??
  • heypresta-spam
    Free Member

After selling my MmmBop last year I have not found a bike as good since.. Please show your past bikes and memories below.

I’ve decided to build up a little HT again! Here is my old MmmBop:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but I think I went too far going from a 456 to a Pitch. Bought a HX1 now 🙂

wors

Oh FFS I’m looking for something to replace my blue pig, now look what you’ve gone and done, put doubt in my head 😈

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Absolutely not.

grum
    Free Member

Nope.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Don’t understand question, fs and hardtail in garage to cover all riding requirements, don’t everyone?

roverpig

No. I can see the argument for rigid bikes, but once you’ve decided that you want suspension why would you only want it on one end? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

Stainypants

i have a ti 456 and a cannondale prophet struggle to see a reason to get the prophet out (love it though).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

still got my 150mm 456 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

I have considered going back to full sus after falling out of love with my previous, but then I spent all my birthday money on updating my P7. I might treat myself to a FS in the future but I doubt I’d sell my HT.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ive got a 456ti and a Spesh Enduro. The Enduro only gets its wheels mucky on uplift days or Alp trips.

I did the ht to fs thing years back and just had a fs. I found everything a bit less involving to be honest. I ended up with enough spare parts in stock I made a parts bin bike with an Inbred frame. The parts bin bike got to see more action than the pimpy fs!

Hard tails rock.

kayak23

roverpig – Member
    No. I can see the argument for rigid bikes, but once you’ve decided that you want suspension why would you only want it on one end?

Because you get the zing and responsiveness and power transfer and pump of a rigid, but with something to soak up the worst and keep the front end on track where it matters most… IMHO

I’m lucky enough to have both, a Mega and a dialled prince Albert. I rarely ride the mega lately as it just feels like too much bike, unless I’m going jumping at Woburn or on an uplift day etc. Trail centres and xc generally I’ll always take the PA now. Love it.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Moved most of the parts from this onto my FS, I then stupidly gave my other hardtail to my brother in law. I miss the Jekyll, the frame is still in the shed so maybe one day.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I don’t understand, why would I want a full sus anyway? All the local Fives are slower than my Dialled Alpine……..

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Yeah I sometimes feel the f/s smooths the trail out too much, I’m going to build a ragley bagger.
    Here’s my old pace.

townydc
    Free Member

I wisely kept my old hardtail when I bought my anthem x4, it’s a Gary Fisher 1999 paragon. Last couple of years I’ve upgraded the components and now it’s a great winter hack for when I don’t wan to keep hosing down the full bouncer.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have always run a hardtail alonside my FS but there’s now a noticeable emptiness in the garage since I sold my Blue Pig X to help fund my new 29er. I’m trying to avoid looking at hardtail threads just now but I’m not doing a very good job 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I smashed my spine up about 18 months ago and as a result of advice from a consultant radiologist mate of mine, I sold my Ragley Ti HT.

Now I find myself missing having the HT in the garage and am thinking of building another one up. I would miss having the FS more and I never struggle with a sense that the FS makes things too easy because you can always just ride faster.

SimonR

Currently without my hardtail and missing it very much – perfect for those short local blasts when the weather closes in ….

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

17th January 2013 by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

My Rocky Ridge out yesterday – running a set of Pike Coils up front.

Thinking of splitting it and selling the frame, forks and wheels sometime this year and building up something new though as the Kona Honzo is catching my attention (and I have a spare set of 29er wheels lurking about the place).

argoose
    Free Member

I moved the other way, and not missing FS at all. So much so I changed my second bike, giant NRS1, to HT as well. Two HT’s better than one.

messiah
    Free Member

I love having a crazy hardtail for blasting about on.

binners

I don’t half miss my Chameleon at times. It was like a 26″ wheel BMX! Then my arse reminds me what it felt like after a few hours in the saddle, and I feel a bit better about it

hora
    Free Member

Yes I miss a full sus but a decent full sus. I can’t have one at the mo so a decent hardtail is more than welcome. Love it. Wish it was a tad smaller though.

cp

Had a 456, then got a Hemlock. Hemlock was very good but as someone else mentioned above, it just felt a bit detached from the trail.

456 got built up again 🙂

long travel hardtails are just brilliant! Mine is battered but keeps going strong 🙂

weeksy

Not in the slightest. Moving back to a suitable FS was a great plan.

smatkins1
    Free Member

It’s much more difficult to bunny hop over stuff with a squishy squishy rear

[/url][/img]

milko9000
    Free Member

I had a bit of an XC hardtail (Cube Ltd Race) before I went FS, and sold it on. Didn’t miss it at all for months until this winter, when suddenly I kinda miss the simplicity and easy maintenance and just general lightness for hooning about. Building a Shan now 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

love mine!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

roverpig – Member
    No. I can see the argument for rigid bikes, but once you’ve decided that you want suspension why would you only want it on one end?

Because the difference in speed/rideability/comfort between a rigid bike and a hardtail is much much mroe than a hardtail and a FS.

And while it’s sometimes fun to batter through everythign on a FS bike, or sometimes fun to have to pick lines with surgical precision on a rigid bike, sometimes it’s fun to go 50/50.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

simple question but why not both?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t miss bikes, I just look forward to getting the next one. Good job, since my hardcore hardtail and full susser were both nicked in the Autumn.

That said, if I had to admit missing a bike, it would be my XC Bianchi built up with White Brothers carbon forks. Light, flickable, so immediate and great for my – not very technical – local rides. Fitted me like a well worn pair of boots too with great memories to go with it. I still have the frame so maybe one day…

br
    Free Member

Ive got a 456ti and a Spesh Enduro. The Enduro only gets its wheels mucky on uplift days or Alp trips.

I did the ht to fs thing years back and just had a fs. I found everything a bit less involving to be honest. I ended up with enough spare parts in stock I made a parts bin bike with an Inbred frame. The parts bin bike got to see more action than the pimpy fs!

Hard tails rock.

Yep, me too – ‘cept I sold the S-Works frame. The 36’s have come in handy though 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

‘hardcore hardtail’ LOL

Love the marketing blurb! (alongside ‘All Mountain’)

boxbuster
    Free Member

[/url] Camera Roll-70 by stevebennet Li, on Flickr[/img]

I ride this most out of my bikes, I prefer hard tails though.

messiah
    Free Member

I miss this one 😥

mikewsmith
    Free Member

xiphon – Member
    ‘hardcore hardtail’ LOL

pop that alongside XC & Race & Dicking round on then shall we….

hardcore HT/Long travel HT/Over built/Suitable for DH and fun

svalgis
    Free Member

‘hardcore hardtail’ LOL

Yeah, because a BFe with 150mm forks, 1×10 drivetrain and 2.5″ tyres is exactly the same thing as a Stumpjumper.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

A Hardcore Hardtail is definitely a thing though isn’t it?

I sort of miss my Evil a bit, because it genuinely was That Good but my Five is a better bike in almost every respect, and it’s significantly faster and as much or more fun on the type of trails I like.

I still plan to build the Evil back up at some point for light duties, but recently discovered the cracked headtube is worse than I thought…

Pics of both because why not;

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Last night….

I went hardtail to FS back to hardtail. Gave up a Patriot for this. No regrets whatsoever. Struggle to see what FS can offer me beyond the Ragleys/my capabilities.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone missing their old Hardcore Hardtail now they've moved to FS??’ is closed to new replies.