Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone managed to remove scratches from DVDs?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I mean successfully.. ?

Murray

Yep, bought a SkipDr. No luck with toothpaste etc

Jamie
    Free Member

Buy a new copy.

HTH.

Martin.B
    Free Member

You still use CD’s?

Jamie
    Free Member

You still use CD’s?

Anyone managed to remove scratches from DVDs?

Apparently not.

Muke
    Free Member

+1 Skip Dr

onandon
    Free Member

Yup, skip dr.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Dont skip it ,,,, reuse
    Hang used CDs in the garden over your vege plot to scare the birds

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have had luck rubbing radially with toothpaste and a lint-free cloth. Polish lightly with a dry cloth after to get the very fine scratches out, but they are tolerated more that you might expect.

EDIT: Or FLAC import with iTunes and Error Correction turned on, then burn another copy at a slow speed [IIRC High speed data burning can sometimes not conform to AudioCD spec]

craigxxl
    Free Member

Silver polish in small light circles over the full disc. Brasso is more aggressive so be careful if using that.

Cougar

Do not polish in circles unless you never want it to work again.

I have had luck rubbing radially

… is the correct answer.

Hohum
    Free Member

Very mild car polish.

molgrips
    Free Member

Our Shaun the Sheep DVDs are ridiculously scratched all over, it’s amazing they play at all. I don’t think doing it by hand is going to be viable, it’s a 6 CD box set… I was considering using a large piece of 800 grit (apparently that’s what’s in the skip doctor) and lapping it on a flat surface.

craigxxl
    Free Member

You may notice small circles around the disc

Cougar

Ah, it’s on the Internet so it must be right.

The way error checking works on optical discs, they can tolerate radial scratches (the odd missed bit doesn’t matter as the ECC code will be along shortly). Scratches ‘with the grain’ as the data flows past the the laser can destroy enough data within a block to make it unreadable.

EDIT: Just skimmed the video. Whether cleaning the disc with his lunch has merit or not I couldn’t say, but the way he’s wiping it carries a pretty high risk of causing further damage to it.

lodious
    Free Member

I have done this on loads of DVD’s (used to be a member of LoveFilm, I’d copy the disc’s and return them ASAP…half their disks would not copy as they were scratched). I used an old t-shirt and Brasso. You have to use a fair bit of force on badly scratched disks (i.e. 20mins worth of fairly hard effort), but I think I only had one disk I could sort.

Interestingly (ok, not really) , towards the end, quite a few disks came where other people had done the same (the surface of the disk looks matt, not shiny).

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no idea why that guy in the video does that. He seems to be of the school of thought that thinks that baking soda, coke and toothpaste etc can solve any problem.

CountZero

I’ve used Brasso on CD’s in the past, which works well because the abrasive is very fine. Silvo would work, too.
    As Cougar says, radial polishing is the key, I’ve had a CD wrecked after a fault in someone else’s player put a radial scratch right round the disc. 🙁
    Impossible to polish out effectively.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just remembered: after you polish the disc you need to wash the brasso etc off. But if after that you smudge the tiniest smear of light oil over the scratched area you might find it smooths the surface out indicated by increased shininess.

Don’t get it around the center hole [may get in CDP], but you may find that means you can then hear/rip the disc 🙂

andywoods
    Free Member

young woods and his mates take scratched xbox/ps3 games to the local computer game shop cost them a £1 works most of the time

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone managed to remove scratches from DVDs?’ is closed to new replies.