Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone made their own bed?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

SWMBO is looking at wooden beds. Can’t believe the price of them. Anyone made their own?

Looking for inspiration and techniques if possible.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yes. Mine is two long boxes about 14″ deep made of osb. Three draws in each box. Slats in between each box to make bed the width of the mattress. The plan is to face the entire thing a with some nice wood but I’ve got destracted making wardrobe. Facing could be nice and modern using edged birch ply, or Melanie faced boards, or you can use some nice large planks for a more rustic look, or laminate some nice wood into boards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I generally assume the staff do it while I’m at work 😉

Thought about it, in theory simple enough but ended up easier to get the mid range Ikea.

superstu
    Free Member

Not since new standards ruined everything

Tiger6791

Yes,

And I have to lie in it..

downhilldave

29er?

whitestone
    Free Member

@TheBrick – I think my wife would draw the line at Melanie’s face everywhere 😆

alfabus
    Free Member

Bought ours from here recently. I was surprised by how reasonable the price was, especially considering you could pick any of the colours for any of the beds.

welshfarmer

I made my own. Starting point was a pair of 1m x 2m “lattenrost”, which are the sprung self-supporting and adjustable beech-wood mattress frames which are the EU Norm. I think Ikea now sell them, albeit in a more UK friendly imperial size so you can get mattresses to fit.

EDIT: like these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80278720/

With these frames it is simply of making up some sort of frame to support them off the floor. Just use your imagination. For our bed I used 2″ rough hewn planks of Alder from a tree I had recently felled. I used a chainsaw and an angle grinder flap-disk to cut and shape them. They are bolted together with long coach bolts into 4″ square Oak legs. There are batons on the inside and a central support beam to hold the mattress frames. Took about a day to make, weighs a tonne, but is absolutely solid and unique.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cheers for the inspiration Gents.
    @ Welshfarmer- that is many kinds of awesome.

Off to play with sketchup and browse hardwood suppliers.

tmb467
    Free Member

We rented a furnished property once where the owner had made a superking four poster bed

Fairly easy thing to put together if you’ve access to some wood, and you’re handy with a lathe / jigsaw and drill

buckster
    Free Member

WelshFarmer that wall paper behind your bed looks like scary ghost heads to me

BillMC

http://www.furniture-barn.co.uk/c/Bed+Frames/6.htm

Good oak ones if you give up on the idea of making one. Got rid of my Mammoth Sport mattress and replaced it with a £700 ‘unbranded’ one from JLP. What an improvement!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Much simpler than welshfarmer’s fine example, mine is simple 140 x 20 pine and 75 x 75 legs. Legs make inner corners of a box, bearers (as above) sides and ends, planks side-to-side spaced with 25 gaps, and on two uprights to form headboard. Screwed together, comes apart easily for move and decorating, being king-sized, wouldn’t otherwise go round corners and down stairs.

The first lesson is – round off the corners.

skink2020

I made ours out of some cherry boards that a friend had, and some pine posts. I used the springs/slats/things from an old ikea bed to dictate all the sizes. Was very easy. Alison was most impressed(not easy).

km79
    Free Member

Lots of ideas on youtube, it’s quite easy if you keep it simple.

cinnamon_girl

Bought ours from here recently. I was surprised by how reasonable the price was, especially considering you could pick any of the colours for any of the beds.

😆 not wanting to click on that link!

thecaptain
    Free Member

welshfarmer, that looks lovely but a bugger of a footboard to catch your ankles on. I’m guessing you may be a little shorter than me.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Should have added – wanted a solid bed under an ortho mattress.

welshfarmer

Not sure how tall you are. It is 2m x 2m internal size, so pretty huge! Me and Birgit have separate 1m wide mattresses to suit (I am about 40 kg heavier than her!). If we had mobile reception here we would probably text each other in bed it is so big 🙂

therag
    Free Member

Knocked this up a few years ago for one of the lads on site who was too tight to buy a bed.

[/URL]]

takisawa2

Your overthinking this.
    Just straighten the duvet & fluff the pillows.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone made their own bed?’ is closed to new replies.