Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)
  • Anyone loving their gravel/adventure/road bike that…….
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

It’s a 2hr round trip to the better trails but a trail is just 19 miles away that I could ride to but struggling to find a not too draggy tyre for the journey that will be grippy on the trail,suggestions please

lawman91

Loving my Genesis Datum, hardly use my HT anymore so that’s going as if it’s mainly MTB I’ll use the FS, if a bit of road/off-road then the Datum does everything.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Recommend me a not too draggy road tyre that will grip off road on my cdf.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvernrider that vagabond in blue is lovely! Might give my cdf a set of nobbly tyres and see how I get on, any recommendations on a suitable tyre?

It is, even better in the flesh so to speak. (Tells self for the 10th time that I wasn’t ultimately swayed by some nice blue paint)

Not had much experience with cross-dressing tyres, especially 29er. I usually changed my old mtbs from summer (Big Apple) to Winter (Fire XC Pro) and used Schwalbe Land Cruisers or Hurricanes year-round on the ‘do it all hybrid’. But these Nanos felt fuss-free in the two days I’ve had to demo. They’re zippy enough for my use on paved, and stick well enough in the rough. (I read that the tread-life is alarmingly short tho…we’ll see). Would also be interested in tyre recommendations when replacement time comes. Also some touch-up paint…do manufacturers still offer such? No luck with Genesis contact form yet…

Time for more pics innit…

fudge9202
    Free Member

Lush! Really jealous!
    Surely somebody has a tyre recommendation!
    Good off road but not draggy on the road

parkesie
    Free Member

Rapid rob are ok but i wore the back out in 600km running small block 8 now rides well not draggy on the road will see how well it lasts.

PrinceJohn

My Clemente tyres are pretty good, Xplorer or something.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

wtb nano here, I’ve just pumped them up a bit and done a road century on them with no drama

molgrips
    Free Member

Built a rgid 29er to be good on road but still serve as proper MTB.

chestrockwell

I bought a new one a month or two ago a still have not been further than the end of the road 😳

Saying that, it was bought more for winter. Even so, it might not last that long!

matt10214
    Free Member

I sold my Cotic Soul after I injured my back and now have a Croix De Fer and Cannondale CAAD 10. I miss the weekends away in the Lakes and Wales and would have it back tomorrow if it wasn’t for my back.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just checked out the nanos, at 40c don’t think they’ll fit the cdf

fudge9202
    Free Member

Looked at the Clement Las 700×33 think they’ll be able to cover all of my riding

Ben_H

I’ve yoyo’d between 1-3 bikes in recent years.

This was partly driven by a hankering / misty eyes for as few bikes as possible, having recalled from my youth that I had only a hardtail (Lefty-forked Cannondale) to do everything from local MTB to John O’Groats to Land’s End. (On examining those memories, I found that I actually had 2 bikes for most of that time!)

I did indeed return to one bike for 6 months in 2010 (hardtail) and I’ve tried various forms of “gnarmac” bikes since that time – most recently an Escapade with 29er wheels and MTB finishing. I’ve also tried a rigid 29er (Stooge), when trying to pare back my MTB’ing to the simplicities of yore.

I’m fortunate to live close to man-made trails, have road-riding mates and to commute a reasonable distance by bike. At the moment, I’ve settled on a hardtail, road bike and a hybrid. One bike is just too much compromise; two is better but still limits me; three is optimal for my needs.

Here are a few notes to consider from my experience:

MTB’ing: rigid is fine for around 4 months of winter, but once the trails dry out I really miss the zing of a bike I can push harder. I now fit rigid forks and singlespeed my hardtail over winter. I couldn’t imagine seriously MTB’ing on a drop bar bike.

Road, touring and “dad biking”: riding a proper road bike really is a thrill in its own right. A gnarmac bike can do everything a proper road bike can, but it’s definitely slower and less exciting on a “road” ride – and yet superior for touring and Sustrans-style gravel paths. A road bike definitely can’t do gravel-road pulling of Tagalong trailers, nor is it really suited to collecting curry from a takeaway / popping to the shops / pub riding.

Commuting: cobbles, traffic lights and disjointed city centre riding is where I’ve found the gnarmac bike type to be really suited – especially on wet days. But, on dry days, a road bike is a fair bit quicker, especially on the open road sections. A flat bar / hybrid (as my Escapade is currently set up) is also really quite good.

If I were to need to reduce my bike tally from 3 to 2, I’d go for a gnarmac bike and possibly 2 sets of wheels… but there would be compromises.

rone

Built a rgid 29er to be good on road but still serve as proper MTB

Here here.

https://goo.gl/photos/RsHXMxJgHnrJSbhs8/IMG_20160507_142649642.jpg

https://goo.gl/photos/RsHXMxJgHnrJSbhs8/IMG_20160507_142649642.jpg
    " alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For rone above because its very pretty.

I can’t link it, so here’s a pic of what I use as a gravel bike 😆

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GKgExq]IMG_1300[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

otsdr
    Free Member

For rone above because its very pretty.

That would be this:

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Where the hell did you find the url?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Must admit I would keep a hardtail MTB if I had the funds, just for dicking about on the Hills etc. I also tried the 2016 Longitude out and it was a close-run thing – but 50% of my out of town riding is on the backroads farm tracks/moorland and the other half on connecting B-roads. Not sure such usage fits easily into the many categories as is multifunctional inasmuch as I require to carry a fair bit of kit for 30-60 miles per day, often camping out, yet often go for unloaded fitness or pootling sessions.

Mostly it (drop-bar rigid cromo 2×10 29er) just feels so comfortable, fuss-free and will encourage me to keep cycling on in the (hopefully) late-summer of life. Looking fwd to maintaining just one bike (the other – the Dutch utility bike – mostly looks after itself) as it got silly at 4 (used/ageing) bikes in the stable, let alone when the number crept up to 7!

2unfit2ride – that’s a beauty – what is it?

theboatman
    Free Member

[/url]IMG_20160424_215345 by IamDeathside, on Flickr[/img]

I do love my cheapo GT Grade, I was running it with two sets of wheels with one with CX tyres on. But I just prefer my MTB off road, it’s far more fun, so the Grade sports 28c slicks pretty much permanently. Horses for courses……

bob_summers

Another Grade, this one is a loaner from the LBS while mine is at the importer for a warranty claim (see the other thread for more info). 28c slicks are not ideal for muddy climbs but I’m not averse to jumping off and pushing. Just off out on it for the afternoon, a nice trail which I haven’t got time to do entirely so I can bail midway and the 25km road ride home isn’t as painful as it is on my SS MTB.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

For me the hard part is not getting carried away on the descents. This is where a section of roots or similar gets me into trouble, nothing you would even blink at on an MTB (even a rigid one if shod with sensible rubber).

Where it shines is surprisingly on the climbs and long draggy bits. Although that is no surprise at all.
    Mine came with 105 hydros that seem more than up to the job and Clement xplor at 35c which i have yet to pinch flat on the rough but seem to go well on the gravel and even the tarmac.

Never having had a road bike I can’t comment on how much it loses to one in the speed stakes but I really only use the tarmac when I have to. Here in Aus there are a lot of gravel (unsealed) roads I can put in a 100K loop from the door with no more than 2 or 3k of roads so an ideal bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Another vote for nanos.

Id suggest if you cant fit a 40c in there what you have is a regular old cx bike….. I found my cx bike so limiting compared to the rove, headangles slacker and the 5mm on the tyres + mudclearance remaining really makes all the difference in the offroad ability,

rone

Where the hell did you find the url?

Yeah thanks Otsdr, I did this at 5am and I couldn’t do it with the phone. Went back to sleep.

Yes, it’s a fab bike. Bit different notany about. Opposite of my Czar. Running qx1 oval rotor chain ring and a few tweaks from new. An easy 18.5lb.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

On the subject of URLs, gotta love Bob’s:

…might be why the image isn’t showing 😀

Back on topic. I had a CDF and it was excellent, if a little heavy. I fooled myself into thinking it could be a do everything bike, but the bottom line is even a rigid 29er is heaps more fun off road. If I was to get a gravel/endurance bike now, it would be full in the knowledge it’s a road bike that can do a bit of flat mud pack/dirt road riding, but it’s always got to be relatively smooth.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Malvern Rider – Member

2unfit2ride – that’s a beauty – what is it?

Cheers, it’s a Singular Pegasus.

An easy 18.5lb.

Jeez, mine as pictured above is over 20lbs 😥

Bregante

My Kinesis Pro 5 is enjoying a new lease of life after a service and a disc brake on the front. It’s not my most ridden bike but it is the most versatile (not hard against an out and out summer roadie and a fat bike)

and considering it only owes me about £300 I can’t really complain.

tang
    Free Member

An easy 30 mile mixed today; loads of lane, gravel, hanging off the back and single track. Most enjoyable.

45c, nice.

Baaw

All roads lead here; Gnarlic.

bob_summers

On the subject of URLs, gotta love Bob’s:

…might be why the image isn’t showing

Bugger, I put it through the image shortener too, at least I thought I had. I’ll stick to photobucket from now on!

From today’s ride, two 800m offroad climbs linked by about 10km of road

Got very sticky on the last descent…

_tom_
    Free Member

Is this sort of bike any good for flattish smoothish bridleways or would I be better off on a light rigid 29er? Since moving house I’ve seen a lot of nice bridleways/footpaths through the local crop fields which might be fun for a change of pace from the roadie all the time. Not much fun on my dh bike (which I’ll keep) but not sure if a cx/gnarmac would be better than an xc bike.

Euro
    Free Member

You’d be a brave man to try and ride this style of bike on my local xc trails even when they are bone dry, and an exercise in futility for the other 95% of the time. They do look nice though.

tang
    Free Member

The thing I like about these bikes (and a strong brief for my custom) is versatility and the ability to ride all winter through the mud on narrow tyres or race. Once the season is over bigger tyres, maybe some packs or slicks. Anything else crack out the MTB proper.
    Race

All road/winter

Gnarish

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like the definition of xc trails might be getting stretched a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is this sort of bike any good for flattish smoothish bridleways or would I be better off on a light rigid 29er?

Funny this.

I asked about skinny tyres on my rigid 29er for bridleway type stuff and everyone advised against it. However over on this thread, people seem to think 40c is plenty for bridleways. Not sure what’s going on here 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well there is a subtle difference in that your 29er can take bigger…. My gravel bike cannot.

The gravel bike copes but if i took my 29er on 2.4 inch tyres it would be faster – how ever the other 30k of my commute would be significantly slower 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that’s what I was asking on that thread – making it quicker on road at the expense of comfort off-road. The consensus seemed to be not to bother; but if that’s true then why bother with a gravel bike at all?

kerley
    Free Member

why bother with a gravel bike at all?

such heresy

dingleberry
    Free Member

Had mine about 2 weeks now and am loving it! Faster than my MTB almost everywhere off road apart from the really rough stuff (up Rivington today and you notice the skinny tyres and lack of suspension!) and not too much slower than my road bike on the road either.

Not going to get rid of my other bikes as they definitely both have their place, but for an all round bike it’s surprisingly capable.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Surely there’s a wide range of rubber-width between 40c and 2.40″

The following rigid bike choice rulez seems to work for me: (not getting into gearing)

Road/gravel/farm track/longer time in saddle bias = drop/flared drop bars+ (choose tyre)
    Offroad/gnarly/drops/descents/thick mud/wet rock/shorter time in saddle bias = flat/riser bars + (choose tyre)

If you cycle road and offroad on one bike it simply means having to choose which riding style you can live with compromising. Or have two bikes and mix it up depending on mood/weather 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

Right off tomorrow to road cycle 12 miles to my “local” trail and try out the cdf off road, will be using the contis that came on the bike but have narrowed my choice of tyres down to
    1. Clement Las
    2. Vittoria Cross XN pro
    3. Richie Speedmax Pro and finally
    4. Kenda Happy Medium Pro.

Any other tyre suggestions appreciated.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Anyone loving their gravel/adventure/road bike that…….’ is closed to new replies.