Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone "looking" for a Blur?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

And if you are looking for a specific one….

Is this it?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

That's one of the more obvious examples of a stolen bike for sale on Ebay that I've seen. A thousand riding curses on however bought that for under £600!

Folk who buy stolen stuff arent much better than the scum who nick them in the first place. Still they'll get their comeuppance when the seller turns up at their house next week to steal it again.

So sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions (but having had a Blur LT nicked this year I'm a little senstivie).

benji_allen
    Free Member

Pretty blatant. Nice photos, and a good grip of the English language too.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I just find this utterly depressing

Even at that price its too expensive to be picked up as a hack bike by someone not in the know about MTBs therefore it will have been bought by an enthusiast from our hobby who will fully appreciate they are getting it cheap

Im guessing most people steered clear which is why the price was low (I admit 600 quid is a lot of money though)

So its probably bought by someone like one of us from this community despite its credentials being shady

Thats the saddest thing for me 🙁

And BTW I cant imagine there are that many white Blurs around – someone may have heard a sniff about one being swiped maybe?

thomthumb
    Free Member

sorry apart from bad spelling and a bad photo what implies that it is stolen?

usually agree on these threads but nothing seems that out of place on this one.

bad photos= low price.

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with thomthumb there, looks alright too me, he seems to know a reasonable amount about the spec, more than just reading off the parts anyway.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Fair play then, although the spec does look read off the decals to me – maybe I just missed the bargain of the year !

allthepies
    Free Member

Certainly not a "definite" nicked bike. Looks genuine to me.

Tough audience in here tonight…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Triple clamp forks on it?? 😕

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

unlike njee it looks to me like someone who has just read what is written on the bike. Maybe an expert/enthusiast seller could be more specific than "bomber forks" and "mavic rims"?

grumm
    Free Member

usually agree on these threads but nothing seems that out of place on this one.

Cash on collection only plus only 3 feedback is dodgy enough – not necessarily stolen but definitely suspect imo.

walleater

Karma for putting triple clamps on an XC beik.

njee20
    Free Member

unlike njee it looks to me like someone who has just read what is written on the bike. Maybe an expert/enthusiast seller could be more specific than "bomber forks" and "mavic rims"?

Well yes alright, but he knows a tiny bit about bikes, if only to know they're called forks and rims, not 'front suspension' and 'wheels', also the reference to the brakes off a Spesh bike.

Why must everyone who has a nice bike be an expert? I've sold plenty of bikes to people who've come into the shop who want to get into cycling, they have £3000 to spend and they know absolutely nothing about bikes!

thepodge
    Free Member

Why must everyone who has a nice bike be an expert? I've sold plenty of bikes to people who've come into the shop who want to get into cycling, they have £3000 to spend and they know absolutely nothing about bikes!

I have a few doctor friends who have just done exactly that, they have money to burn and no idea, they just buy what they like the look of. one of them regularly asks me which the front brake is but still rides round on a bike worth twice mine.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

there's no rule that people who have nice bikes "must" be an expert but 20yrs of MTBing (plus interest in various other consumer-based hobbies) shows me that the vast majority of owners of high end kit are afficianados/enthusiasts/experts, rather than novices with a high disposable income. Maybe you move in more affluent circles than I do!

Whether or not the bike is nicked none of us know but I agree that the OP should have flagged it up-there are plenty of "help bike stolen" threads and if every ebayer was as discerning/suspicious as the OP there would be less of a market for nicked high-end bikes.

At least its not kaesae selling it. 😆

crazy-legs

Like njee20, I've sold a fair few high end bikes to people with absolutely no clue about them. Most serious riders custom build their top end bikes and so know exactly what parts are what – they built them that way specifically.
    People with loads of money just buy what they like the look of (and thieves just nick what they like the look of…)

I was told (although how true this is I don't know) that a common trick when selling nicked bikes is to swap a few of the parts around – a change of wheels, brakes or forks is reasonably easy to do and it disguises the bike quite effectively…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

crazy-legs:

I successfully convicted a serial bike thief who did just that, and it was the swapping of parts that helped me (as a bike enthusiast) identify them. He had several bikes in his garage all with one or two red Hope parts which had clearly come from the same expensive stolen donor bike. He'd put Hope Ti hubs from it onto a jump bike etc

Most SC's Ive seen have been modified from off-the-peg build specs which is another reason I'd have expected the seller to know exactly what was on the bike (being a bit more niche than an off-the-peg top end Specialized for example).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not sure about a "tough crowd" on here, but it's certainly a gullable one.

The guy has cut and pasted the reasonable sounding parts of that ad, the same as he probably did when he tried to pass his English GCSE.

OK, might be legit, but I still doubt it and wonder what it is about that ad that makes anyone convinced that it is?

njee20
    Free Member

How are you so sure?

I'm gullible because he can't use a camera for sh1t (guess he stole it…) and because his English isn't as good as some folk on here. Mind, it's also better than some on here, they must have stolen their bikes…

It quite probably is nicked, but there's just as much chance that it's not.

Maybe you move in more affluent circles than I do!

Bike shops in Surrey are a good place to observe such behaviour.

chakaping
    Free Member

He doesn't know it's called a fork though, he calls it "Bomber front shocks".

I can see why some of you have reservations, but I'd still say it was hooky if I had to go one way or the other.

One thing that puzzles me though: Why don't bike thieves nick a nice camera as well to take their ebay pix with?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone "looking" for a Blur?’ is closed to new replies.