Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone living and teaching abroad?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

My husband and I have been considering moving abroad for a few years now and an incident with a local 'yoof' today has prompted us to come back to the idea. Esentially we're after a more relaxing lifestyle somewhere drier and warmer where we'd be happier bringing up kids (I know that sounds a bit idealist, but you get the idea)

My husband is a teacher so we've been looking at various teaching jobs and in particular at international schools (as a first step at least). My husband was born in Bahrain and grew up all over the world, we've also travelled a fair bit and have family living abroad, so are not too naive about the whole thing.

I know it's a bit of a long-shot, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has taken the leap and is now living and teaching abroad? And if so, what you're experiences have been…

Cheers in advance, MM.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I'm teaching oral English for a year in Leshan, Sichuan, China. The money is terrible by western standards but general life here costs nothing like it doest in the west (I reckon about a fifth).

I teach at a College / University in a small city, a friend of a friend teaches in Chengdu (big city) at a primary school at get three times what we get, plus all expenses paid.

My motivation for doing it was quite different to yours and I am at a different stage in my life but am really enjoying things in general and would recommend teaching in China highly.

I want to do a PGCE but to get on a course need to demonstrate experience which in spite of chasing local schools and the massively wasteful TDA quango for six months was near impossible in the UK.

I was also completely disinterested and very bad at languages at school which is something I have regretted a lot in recent years, I am currently adding Chinese to my skillset which makes me happy.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

There are many international schools down here in Southern Spain, I know several teachers over here earning a good salary and enjoying the lifestyle. The kids are actually well-behaved and want to learn. Language in the schools mainly English.
    I can give you the email of one of the teachers if you are interested.

closeactionchris
    Free Member

I took my family to Malawi on a 2 year teaching contract a few years ago. It was a totally brilliant experience for us and the kids. Wish I was still there. Superb cycling, and wonderful travel opportunities. International schools are generally very relaxed and happy places to live and work, and give you the chance to see what a country is really like after the fortnight-holiday mentality wears off.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A mate of mine is in Barcalona teaching english. He loves it, but considers it a short term thing, rather than the rest of his life.

hitman
    Free Member

MM, don't really have anything to offer re:teaching experience abroad but try not to let one incident push you into a move. Hope you don't mind me commenting but tomorrow you may feel quite different about this.
    cheers

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys, it's really good to hear that it's worked out for you guys/your friends.

China sounds interesting, though a bit scary! My husband also speaks fluent Japanese and so could teach that as well as English or film and media, as he does now. Neither of us are that keen on the idea of Japan though, especially as he lived there for a few years a while back and found the culture quite difficult.

We also travelled around East Africa a few years ago thinking about moving to Zambia but after visiting schools, etc. we decided it wasn't for us. I loved living in Zimbabwe before Uni, but for obvious reasons that's not going to happen.

Spain however does really appeal! I think the fact that the language is reasonably easy (compared to Chinese or Japanese anyway!) and it would be affordable for friends and family to visit, and of course there's the biking!

Alan – if you would be happy to pass on the email of any teaching friends out there, that would be great. Mike is a secondary school teacher (currently head of media and film in the independent sector but has worked in state schools too) and so it would be great to hear of your friend's experiences and any potential opportunities. Please pass on my email (in profile) too.

We're fairly open to it just being a couple of years experience or much more, I think we're just at the point now where we feel able to take the plunge and see where we're at in a year or two's time. We're expecting our first baby in early April so it's not necessarily the best time to consider a complete life change, but then there are always reasons not to do it…

Oh and Oman really appeals too, as my husband grew there and loved it, but I'm guessing there aren't many STW users out there!

Cheers again and please keep the info coming!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cheers hitman – I appreciate your comment. I realise how it might have come across that way, but yesterday was just a bit of a catalyst to start looking seriously again. We've been talking about it for 4 years, so could do with a kick up the bum to get actively looking again. Don't worry though, yesterday definitely isn't the underlying motive, thanks for you concern mate!

pegasus
    Free Member

I've worked in both Saudi Arabia and Slovenia teaching English with the British Council. Obviously things in Saudi have changed alot post-9/11 but Slovenia was fantastic. I spent a year in the town of Ajdovscina near the Italian border. People warm and friendly, kids a pleasure to teach and a really unspoilt and hidden gem of a country. I was a single young man at the time but as a father of two little ones I would certainly return. And it's not too far away for visits etc. which I think is more important than I realised at the time.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Pegasus, that's interesting to hear. Hadn't thought about Solvenia (other than a riding holiday), may have a closer look there too. Cheers!

mogrim

Spain however does really appeal! I think the fact that the language is reasonably easy (compared to Chinese or Japanese anyway!) and it would be affordable for friends and family to visit, and of course there's the biking!

Are you talking about teaching kids in a "proper" school, or TEFL?

I've done the TEFL thing, the pay's not great – think student lifestyle, shared houses etc. Working all the hours of the day with a combination of private classes + private academy contract the money's better, but still not great. In summer you'll be on a half-wage, as most of the classes shut down.

My kids used to go to the local Montessori school, they certainly hired (native) English teachers, and worked to a British curriculum. They did have a pretty high staff turnover, although I'm not sure if that was down to the working conditions or the unreasonably high expectations of people on their first foreign job. I can't find an email on their website (http://www.montessorischool.es/), there's a postal address and telephone number you could call though.

alpin
    Free Member

my situation is very different from yours, MM.

i moved to germany two years back (GF is german) and after a stint working as a carpenter (my trade in the UK) i 'retrained' to become a TEFL teacher (CELTA certificate).

my cousin done a similar course last summer and now teaches in Murcia, Spain.

i wouldn't say that teaching english is the be all and end all. it's a good stop gap before i decide what i really want to do with my life; my cousin, she says the same.

Hours are mostly confined to afternoons/evenings. the money can vary a lot depending upon country and the location within the country. i earn between 18€ – 35€/hour and can expect to work about 5-7 hours/week. my cousin works 30 hours/week and recieves 12€/hour. it means i've got lots of free time to go ride or sit around on my arse.

i believe it is better to have tried something even if you come running back with your tail between your legs than to look back and wish that you had given it a go.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Mogrim – proper teaching as Mike is fully qualified. He's taught English and japanese in the past and is now head of film and media at an independent school. Behaviour and attitude is pretty shocking but he enjoys the subject – just wishes more of the kids' did too!

Thanks for the tip re the school, Mike has worked abroad before (Japan) and as he grew up all over the world is fairly aware of the toll different cultures can take, even if on the whole you like them. The school looks interesting – I'll get Mike to take a look. 🙂

Alpin – your situation sounds interesting, as you say quite different from ours but good on you having a go, I totally agree it's better to have a go and see what happens than to never try…

Mackem

I'm teaching english in Northern Spain. Around here there are a lot of private schools that teach the kids in English as the first language. Within half an hour of me there is the Amerian school, the english school and the Irish school. I imagine in these places there is a demand for "real" teachers rather than the TEFL stuff i'm doing. If you want more info, just ask…

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hi Mackem – yep, would love more info. It sounds very promising. I know I'm biased but I think Mike would be a very good candidate – he's an excellent teacher has experience over a range of subjects (IT, English Lit and Lan, Film, Media, Japanese) and has various other qualifcations like rugby coaching too. My email's in my profile or obviously you can post on here. Would be keen to get all the info you have! Thanks!

mogrim

Mogrim – proper teaching as Mike is fully qualified. He's taught English and japanese in the past and is now head of film and media at an independent school. Behaviour and attitude is pretty shocking but he enjoys the subject – just wishes more of the kids' did too!

The kids are certainly pretty well-behaved, it's a private school and the kids that don't behave are "invited" to leave. That will probably be the case for nearly all the English schools in Spain.

Thanks for the tip re the school, Mike has worked abroad before (Japan) and as he grew up all over the world is fairly aware of the toll different cultures can take, even if on the whole you like them. The school looks interesting – I'll get Mike to take a look

As long as you're aware of that, I think a lot of people come here with expectations of sun/sea/sangria, and don't realise that the day-to-day has its ups and downs just like any other country. The link I sent in particular is for a school in a small town 40km outside of Madrid, great for mountain activities, but a bit of a cultural desert.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the email Mackem – really appreciate it!

Thanks Mogrim for the feedback, yeah I'd like to think we're not as naive as many, but no doubt it'll be tough – even if it is the right place/job straight away (which I guess is fairly unlikely!).

I'm definitely a rural girl at heart so small towns are definitely more up our street than a busy city, just a small village/town community surrounded by countryside would suit us just fine. Devon and Cornwall are ace for that kind of place but cost a fortune and jobs don't come up very often.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone living and teaching abroad?’ is closed to new replies.