Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone live or lived 8n Brittany or Normandy?
  • pete68
    Free Member

We’re thinking of upping sticks and doing something different with our lives. One option is to buy something like a b&b in northern France. You get so much more for your money and we could live mortgage free. Anyone with experience of life there? Decent road riding I assume but don’t know if there’s any mtbing. Life in general seems slower paced but maybe too quiet. I know there’s lots of expats in the area but wonder if the locals are so fond of lots of brits. Our aim would be to learn the language and mix in with local life, not just stay in the expat community.

the-muffin-man

Can’t help with your question, but I’ve looked at property prices there and thought the same as you. Not right now, but in 6 or 7 years time when our daughter has finished her education.

I keep thinking of what cheap/safe country to retire to!

nuke

Prices still suppressed where we were and where our parents in law in central Brittany (carhaix) still are…lots of Brits were trying to get back to uk but couldn’t find buyers and therefore still a buyers market from what ive heard.

With regard central Brittany, nice enough place but, beyond your property, personally i found the place rather dull: not much offroad riding (limited bridleways/footpaths and i hate road cycling), lack of tourist attractions (sudden appreciation of how well NT does its properties) etc. Lots of folk come over, do up their property and then its ‘now what?’

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Indeed, prices are cheap.
    The missus bought a little cottage in Finistere last year with about 3 acres of woods/orchard.
    She paid less than 30k (Euros!). I dread to think what that would cost in Cornwall.

jerseychaz

We are contemplating the very same thing. Central Brittany is ok but not great Tourist country. If you are looking at B&B or Gites you really need to be within reach of the coast, attractions or a main route/transport hub. Our friends run three small gites and realistically just cover their costs so that it pays for their (and my) stays. I have friends who run a well known B&B on the Somme (he’s an expert on Antiques Roadshow and Military Historian) and they make it pay but its very hard work. Having looked at properties, French Estate agents are appalling! If its apparently cheap there’s a good reason somewhere….Having said all that, find the right property, live in the area before you buy and accept that its financial suicide (as we have) and we may end up neighbours! There’s a cracking VTT Randonee from Huelgoat every September which is worth a look. Happy to share more – email in profile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The distance from westen Brittany (Finistere) to Normandy is huge – that’s quite an area. Also big differences between whether you are near the coast which is primarily where people want to go on holiday. French are starting to do more “chambre d’hote” which is their version of B&B. You need to think about holiday habits, the french are more used to a block month off in august (renting a house or owning ansecond home) than weekends away.

I love Brittany (have done lots of sailing there) and have friends who have holiday places or indeed have seni retired there. Also have spent quite a bit of time in Normandy and wifes family (from Paris) have second homes there. What you are thinking of needs a lot of thought. Buying and selling property in France is expensive (10-15%) and setting up and running a business is very beaurocratic and taxes are high. I dont mean to be negative but it needs careful thought

molgrips
    Free Member

My folks lived in Brittany for a few years. I thought it was shite 🙂 Took ages to get there, weather no better and it just looks like West Wales. Don’t think there is any mtbing; the road riding looks as if it would be boring as hell.

brooess
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I was thinking of decamping to South of France. I spent a year in Montpellier at uni and have lost my French over the years, which I now see as a mistake career-wise.
    I’m struggling to find work right now so have been thinking of just going back there for a year (poss live in an apartment a friend of my parents owns) and work in a bar, get my French back to fluency and present it as a career-advancement year on my CV rather than a year out.

Thinking of similar things for retirement. Have never earned enough to own in the UK and now 42 so looking impossible now. May just save until retirement and buy a small place in South of France with those savings and retire out there. Heating bills and food will be cheaper, quality of life better and more peaceful riding for an old dodderer 🙂

Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of people are making similar plans given the outlook for UK – cost of living/lack of retirement savings etc

pete68
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. We’d be looking at buying something that’s already up and running so we’d have a (small )income straight away. Not expecting to make much money, just enough to get by is fine by us. However if there’s not much to do in the local area then I think we’d get a bit bored. Maybe go and have a look at some

molgrips
    Free Member

You do need good French or some kind of help to deal with the bureaucracy, mind. My mum has fluent French and they still found all the red tape a challenge even though they used estate agents and solicitors.

Heating bills and food will be cheaper, quality of life better and more peaceful riding for an old doddere

Aye, and hens lay soft boiled eggs too 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone live or lived 8n Brittany or Normandy?’ is closed to new replies.