Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone live in Heathfield, Nr Bovey Tracey?
  • mikeyd
    Free Member

Just wondering what you thought of it…

Looking to move inbetween Exeter and Plymouth in the next few weeks and there are a few options there,

I've heard it can be a bit rough though, any thoughts?

Cheers!

trailmonkey

Not the best 'burb of N.A.

Lots of nice places along that A38 corridor. Heathfield isn't really one of them.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Thanks,

Ideally would be Ashburton but properties seem to disappear as soon as they're listed…

Will keep a look out

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Your gut reaction is right. It can be rough.

Lived in Heathfield approx 3 yrs ago. Only lasted 6 months before my wife and I couldn,t take any more and had to move on. Coming originally from Belfast, you would have thought I would have been used to "interesting" characters but Heathfield was something else!

We lived on Lower Cannon Road and spent every night being woken up by our soft-rock loving neighbours. The houses are very poorly constructed with no sound insulation at all.

Houses are cheaper in this area for a reason. There is no local pub as the land was owned by the Mormons and they only permitted houses to be built on it if no public house was to be built.

As a matter of interest, it turns our that some of the kids I am working with (I'm a teacher in a referral unit) also live in Heathfield. They also confirm that there is nothing to do and that lots of anti-social behaviour takes place. Nothing has improved in the past 3 years and word is that it has actually gotten worse.

If you are serious, pop into the Police station in Newton. Have a chat with the PCSO for Heathfield and ask their opinion.

Two stabbings and a murder inside six months cemented our decison and we are now living in Exeter and loving it.

PS. Bovey is nice.

julioflo
    Free Member

Buckfastleigh is where it's at.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Cheers guys,

Yep Exeter is ace, living here now, GF has a teaching job in Kingsbridge so we're going to have to move halfway..

Buckfastleigh looks good too, especially for kayaking (and mtbing of course) but again, is pretty sparse when it comes to places to rent (that fulfil our/my bike storage requirements)

julioflo
    Free Member

Having lived in Buckfastleigh for 10 months now, I can say that: Property to rent or buy seems cheaper than Ashburton, has less traffic than Ashburton, has a better feel to it than blasting past on the A38 would lead you to believe, pretty good access to the moors, a few pubs, not enough free on road parking spaces, Kings wood has loads of potential for trails [just got to make some],there must be more to Hembury woods than I have found so far, 1/2 way between Plymouth and Exeter, 15 mins drive from totnes / on the junction that gets you down towards Kingsbridge

yunki
    Free Member

bovey is nice

+1… there's a cosy 3 bedroom flat going in South Knighton… very rural and reasonable with a view of Haytor from the top of the hill..

mikeyd
    Free Member

Yunki, is that a flat you're letting out?…

yunki
    Free Member

not me.. but there's one going next to my sister-in-law… shall I pass you on a contact number to your email?

mikeyd
    Free Member

That would be great, thanks

Any idea of the address (for google streetview purposes)

Cheers

yunki
    Free Member

email sent

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone live in Heathfield, Nr Bovey Tracey?’ is closed to new replies.