Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone live in Dunoon?
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Just having thoughts about the place – what’s it like for living/riding/getting elsewhere from.

I am in the idle speculation phase at the moment… thinking of options that may make life easier and better!

Other options seem to centre around Mabbie/Dalbeattie, the Argyll coat, Arran or the Inner Hebrides at the moment. I know this is a wide cast net of options, but as I said… idle speculation time before deciding what – if anything – to do.

I am missing Scotland 🙁

iainc

I have a mate who grew up there and goes back every few weeks to see his ageing parents. He reckons it is a total hole, never had any investment since the US left and he hates the place.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

It’s not a good place to get out of, if you know what I mean; either a ferry across the Clyde or a long drive to get anywhere. I wouldn’t see it as a move which would make life easier, but that depends what you want/need in life.

Edit: your other options in the Argyll area are similar. Good if you have what you need nearby. At least down in the borders you can get around much more easily. Biking is better too, if that’s a factor.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Just been shopping on price really! There is a place out near Machrihanish which caught my eye (surfing too that way!)

Further south would make more sense, perhaps the Borders coastline. But I really want to be in wild Scotland in my heart! I am in the very early stages of deciding where to look and then seeing if I can make everything else fall in around that!

Ideally somewhere within a comfortable days drive from the Lakes (I used to commute from Stirling to the Lakes and Machynlleth so that gives me a fairly good scope to cover a large part of Scotland).

The dream is to have mountains and proper sea… I would probably live between there and my Dad’s in the Lakes to keep an income stream unless I got lucky and managed to expand the business in Scotland substantially.

tandemwarriors

Yes I do, well Sandbank, a few miles outside Dunoon on the Holy Loch. Been here 12 years having left Nottingham.

He reckons it is a total hole, never had any investment since the US left and he hates the place.

Possibly harsh but not far from the truth.

It’s not a good place to get out of, if you know what I mean; either a ferry across the Clyde or a long drive to get anywhere

Mmmmmm, its all relative.
    Glasgow airport is 55 mins from my house. Plenty of people commute by ferry/train in Glasgow.
    First ferry is 6.10am, last ferry back is 10.30pm or midnight fri/sat/sun. I commute by ferry, only 1 day in the last 12 months it didn’t run.
    It’s not perfect, but then no-where is. Local employment is a challenge but if you’ve got that sorted then there’s a lot to like.

Happy to discuss further.

Rob

gobuchul
    Free Member

Dunoon is a bit of a dump. (Although it does have a great fish and chip shop!)

Some beautiful coast and country nearby though. Some beautiful property as well.

It is isolated, the ferry service is good although it is quite expensive.

The mountain biking is poor but the road cycling is excellent.

seosamh77
    Free Member

argyll is nice to visit/go camping in. I wouldn’t want to live there, particularly dunoon.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am an islander at heart… well… more than just at heart… I am trying to find somewhere that has that feel, but ideally without the challenges that brings for others 😉

That said, I do keep coming back to Arran, Mull and a few of the others. Skye is probably just a bit too far…

Probably….

gwaelod
    Free Member

A serious consideration in west of Scotland is midges. They are such bastards that they make living there untenable for me. Many people put up with them..I just can’t.

Little flying feckers

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why would you? The view is Greenock/Gourock/Helensburgh or if you’re lucky and live further down, Wemyss Bay and Largs. Woo. You’re then stuck with a ferry ride to the shops either paying through the nose to take your car or being beholden to CalMac strikes and weather for the foot ferry. Not to mention curfew vs an 84 mile round trip if you want to stay out late.

It’s not as grim as it used to be but still not somewhere worth living unless you don’t plan on getting out much (it does have that slight ammonia haze that you tend to find in such seaside towns).

Pretty sure PA23 also counts as an island postcode, another consideration if you want stuff delivered.

Spin
    Free Member

A guy I know who wrote bits of the Lonely Planet Scotland guide got into trouble for describing Dunoon on a Friday night as having an ‘atmosphere of brooding menace’.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I dunno, I hear the youth groups do some quality live music…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Okay… may scratch Dunoon… just a nice and pretty affordable house there 😉

So… back to my original thoughts of Arran, Mull, around Oban perhaps – and keeping an eye on the Dumfriesshire coast options too, though that isn’t really what I am after but would be better for the running back over the border on a Friday afternoon idea.

Although I don’t think my heart is really in that.

There is also the other thought of heading back to Stirling. I just don’t really like going back somewhere.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My mates folks live in Elrig on the peninsula at Wigtown, nice place and cheap too. Good access for the Stanes

iainc

Arran is well connected, good ferry service, well subsided. Possible to commute daily to Glasgow if mad enough 🙂

It’s expensive though and whilst lovely, not much of an remote island feel unless living in the real sticks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone live in Dunoon?’ is closed to new replies.