• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone listen to music whilst swimming?
  • Joe

Anyone recommend a iphone/ipod case and a set of waterproof headphones?

Is it good or do you feel like the music is being played through water.
    Trying to do more swimming training, but just find it so **** boring!

Mackem

The other half does, she uses one of these.

http://www.tri247.com/article_5385.html

she likes it

convert

I’ve been through a number and to be honest found any device that relied on ear buds and a perfect seal inside your ear was worse than useless. Worse than useless because now I had a whole new distraction to stop and fiddle with as the music drops in and out constantly. Fine for surfing/kayaking or if you are a swim with your head out of the water drifter but not good if totally immersed. We bought a swimp3 and that is loads better- sound transmits through skull. Not perfect as it does (did-might have improved it) support all music file type or play that nicely with iTunes.

Joe

Thanks for the advice.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve been through a number and to be honest found any device that relied on ear buds and a perfect seal inside your ear was worse than useless. Worse than useless because now I had a whole new distraction to stop and fiddle with as the music drops in and out constantly.

I’ve been doing some underwater + headphones stuff at work. Once you get the hang of putting the headphones in your ears and possibly get ones that are the right size and shape for your ears, they can work okay. But I’d agree that they are a pain to set up, and a fiddle, particularly when you first get them, and if I was in the market for an mp3 player only, I’d get something that did bone conduction. Sound quality underwater is pretty much going to be rubbish whatever you get, and it is surprising how much noise swimming even quite slow and smooth crawl makes.

But personally I think the whole experience of swimming with music is not that nice, I feel that it’s better to get interested in the swimming by doing productive training things like intervals, messing with pacing, doing drills, rather than using music to avoid having to think about swimming and becoming a pool robot or whatever you like to call it. It’s all about technique and feel for the water after all not just fitness, and not paying attention to your technique is surely going to lead to bad habits unless you’re already perfect, or at best no real improvement?

I think if your swimming is so monotonous that you need music to do it, then you’re probably not training right. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t do the kind of 2-3km training sets we do at our club on Sunday nights with music – on a good set I don’t have any spare concentration to listen to music with. Even training for an actual long event, like a 10k, I’d be mixing things up during training rather than resorting to mp3 players (although maybe I’ll think differently after June’s planned 14km swim!)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

utterly agree with joemarshall, swimming is all about technique and the beauty of it is working on that technique.

i love the fact that i’m almost sensory deprived, head down, feeling the resistence, the movement, zen almost.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought my wife these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterfi-Waterproof-Player-Layer-Technology/dp/B004CS3STG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362157988&sr=8-1

the headphones seem different that the ones we got with it.

MSP

I have been thinking about getting one of those waterfi shuffles. Research suggests its best to wear a swim cap to help keep earplugs in place.

I understand some may find music distracting, personally I find it helps in isolating me from the world and aids concentration.

eddie11
    Free Member

Do you guys not swim in pools that give you music over the tannoy wether you want it or not? Part of the pleasure of swimming is the unexpected bob Marley track in between the rihanna, david guetta etc.

bearnecessities

i love the fact that i’m almost sensory deprived, head down, feeling the resistence, the movement, zen almost.

That’s exactly how I feel, but with the technique of a drowning cat 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

If you listen to music while swimming, you will not hear the shouted warnings (DOODIE! 😯 ) and may end up worse off than Spaulding nearly does at 0:53! 😀 Its the risk that you’ll be taking!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM[/video]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone listen to music whilst swimming?’ is closed to new replies.