Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone lighter people run forks with one spring removed?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I wanted to put my 03 Z1 Freerides on my other half’s Chameleon but the trouble is that they are far too stiff. I’ve aleady contacted Windwave who have said that they only have the hard springs left.

The only option I have now, is to remove one of the springs to soften the forks up for her. Is this a bad idea that will screw up the damping etc?

The other option is to find her some air forks so springs aren’t an issue.

Cheers

gee
    Free Member

A friend did this for his daughter when she was little – no problem.

GB

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve seen a friend do this with an old pair of forks, and it worked absolutely fine.

toys19
    Free Member

Are you sure they have springs in boths sides? My 03 Z1 freerides only have a spring in one side, and most modern mtb forks only have a spring in one side. In fact I do not think I have ever seen a fork with springs in both sides. I am sure there must be some out there, but never seen it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Defo got springs in both sides…there’s a preload adjustor on both legs.

The earlier Bombers had springs both sides as side most forks for a long time.

I’ll try removing a spring and see how she gets on with them. I fitted a soft set in her current 99 Drop Offs and they’re still a little but hard for her.

imp999
    Free Member

It was a bit of a tuning thing to do on Metas with Marz forks(07).
    Take the spring out & put more air in to compensate.
    I did it. It wasn’t detrimental but didn’t do owt either.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Air springs for light/lady riders I’d say.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

I’ve done this on a pair of oem 2006 marzocchi drop offs, as you couldn’t get lighter springs. Been for for ages. Did some research as i was a bit concerned – many others have done it too on these older zocchis without issues.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone lighter people run forks with one spring removed?’ is closed to new replies.