Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone laid their own vinyl floor/lino?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Seems like you can buy the flooring pretty cheap, my bathroom will already have the floor covered plywood. It would be really handy to do it myself so I don’t have to organise a fitter around the mental schedule I have.

Its going under the toilet and sink so no need to cut round them… only a couple of 15mm pipes to cut out for…..

I want it to look professional – is it hard for a DIYer?

mtbfix

Get a man in. We did. Labour cost was about £60 and he had it done in no time to a much higher standard than I could have achieved.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Problem is I’m not living in the house yet so its tricky to get a pro in. I managed to sync a builder/plumber/spark together but I don’t want to have to take a day off for loads of other jobs – only so much annual leave!

hooli

I did it once, it was a pig and I said I would never do another.

If you insist on doing it, lay the flooring out for a few days to let it relax. Also remove the toilet, sink bath panel if you can to keep the cutting minimal and simple – that’s the hard bit. Make sure it is pretty well stuck down too.

newrobdob
    Free Member

There will only be a bath with no panels in the room when I do it.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Done it twice. back hall and a small toilet in our old house. Managed to get good results both times but after A LOT of swearing. Really is a horrible job. Some places fitting is built into the price. Just get someone in save yourself the heart ache they will throw it down in 30 min and you can get on with your life.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

oh if you are going to do it yourself. It saves a lot of hassle if you pick some that doesn’t have straight lines on it. Straight lines do a fantastic job of showing how un-straight your walls and fitting of the vinyl are.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I want it to look professional – is it hard for a DIYer?

No it’s very simple to do the job well, I’ve done it loads of times. New stanley blade and make sure there’s nothing sticking up on the floor. As above lay the flooring out so it’s easier to work with. I usually silicone seal round the edges for a nice neat finish.

Why did you find it a horrible job?

trout
    Free Member

a proffesional job should be cut so as to not need silicon .
    horrible stuff silicon and only used as a last resort or to hide bad cutting

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use it because it gives a nice neat finish and stops crap getting between skirting and vinyl. I don’t do bad cuts so I don’t need silicone.

Silicone sealant is easy to work with if you have the right finishing tools.

Non professionals can do a good job to you know and laying vinyl really isn’t rocket science.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think id pull the skirting off and refit above the vinyl like you would with laminate rather than use silicone.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have done it a few times it’s a piece of piss

#1 priority is make sure the floor is flat and I mean flat lino shows all the irregularities. Lay it out flat and cut it *very* roughly to size so you haven’t got loads of excess. Nibble it round fixtures and fittings then make the final cut. No problemo

globalti
    Free Member

I did it in my kitchen when I was trying to save money. Bought a big piece from B&Q, measured, cut it roughly in the garden then brought it in and fitted it around the island unit and trimmed it. It was hard work and it didn’t quite meet the back door frame so I had to glue in a small strip but it lasted and looked OK, until I parked my bike with slicks on it and they left two permanent brown marks from sulphur transfer.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take skirting off for vinyl, there’s no need. But I would also silicone between any hard floor surface and skirting anyway, even if I had removed and replaced the skirting. Tidy finish and prevents a dirt trap.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice. I think I’ll investigate total cost including fitting and see how much extra it is before I make the decision.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Newspaper template. Reasonable result with little hassle.

tjagain

I have done it and I wouldn’t do it again. Its a pain to get anywhere near right

garage-dweller

I’ve loose laid it before (ie no gluing – does anyone glue it down?).

Patience was the key along with a very sharp knife. I found a metre long metal rule and a 30cm one handy to cut and push in under skirting with.

Did a rough cut first then trimmed from there.

I would caveat I’ll have a go at most things and the only thing I will not touch again is plastering. Can’t get the knack.

gecko76

Can anyone recommend a fitter in Edinburgh?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone laid their own vinyl floor/lino?’ is closed to new replies.