Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone know where to buy DT 5.1 rim strips on their own?
  • joedaho
    Free Member

I just want the strips, as I already have valves and sealant….. is this possible?

I haven’t been able to turn up them on my own googling….

Cheers!

mboy
    Free Member

Eclipse

But DON’T

I had this setup, couldn’t get most tyres that I owned onto the rims at all, let alone pump them up. The DT rims are the tightest I’ve ever tried to get tyres on, and the rimstrips made them loads worse.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got an unused set (I’ve used the sealant and valves…). Mail me (email in sig) if you’re interested and make me an offer.

Simon

br
    Free Member

I put Stans in mine.

I had this setup, couldn’t get most tyres that I owned onto the rims at all, let alone pump them up. The DT rims are the tightest I’ve ever tried to get tyres on, and the rimstrips made them loads worse.

Use levers?

Simon

I’ve been using EX500 rims with DT Swiss rimstrips for a while. It is a struggle to get tyres on, but they go up and stay up.
    Got mine 2nd hand.

Vortexracing

I use them and find them OK. is it any particular type of tyre you struggle with?

Simon

Eskars, the only tyres I’ve tried on them.

mboy
    Free Member

b r

I broke 4 levers trying to get some Bontragers on! The tyres physically wouldn’t go on… And before you say anything, I’m used to getting UST tyres on and off UST rims with just my fingers, I’ve got my technique down pretty well.

The only tyres I had that eventually went on the DT’s with the rimstrips was a pair of Maxxis High Rollers. They took some real effort to get on too.

Got some Stans 355’s with Stans rimstrips on one set of wheels, by contrast can get pretty much any tyre on by hand and inflate it relatively easily too.

Vortexracing

I’ve used Maxxis and Schwalbe and they both seem OK.

joedaho
    Free Member

Simon Nicolai………. can’t find your email addy.

Drop me one on juff_h at hotmail dot com and we’ll talk?

Cheers for the replies guys.

I got this wheelset (Hadleys on 5.1) more for the hub than the rim. I have been on crossmax XLs, love the rims, hubs are **** – but then they are OLD and have been given a pasting.

brassneck

I’ve got 4.1s and I agree the Eclipse official kit was crap – I’ve been doing tubeless since the first Stans ‘tape it up and hope’ kits some years ago, never had the same inflation trouble as I had with the Eclipse – though I’m inclined to believe it’s more to do with the rim than the kit.

Use Joe’s No Flats now, work a treat as they wrap over the bead and the top of the rim.

br
    Free Member

b r

I broke 4 levers trying to get some Bontragers on! The tyres physically wouldn’t go on… And before you say anything, I’m used to getting UST tyres on and off UST rims with just my fingers, I’ve got my technique down pretty well.

Better tyre levers needed? 😉

I’ve Nobby Nic 2.4’s on mine, with stans rim strip.

tbh I found it easier to use them tubeless than with tubes – as they seem a little tight/large – not sure which

joedaho
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get a conti UST tyre on with a really skanky old Bontrager rim strip from the bottom of the parts bin to stay up thus far…. winner!

bigant

Better tyre levers needed

Used intense steel levers and eventually (took maybe an hour or so) to get some UST crossmarks on mine. Wouldn’t inflate, discovered I’d managed to punch a hole in the inner rim between spoke holes with the lever 😳 . It’s a bit easier without the tubless rimstrips as they are quite thick so there’s a bit more leeway with the bead in the middle, but even getting regular tubes/tyres on is an absolute pig.

All my other wheels, road and MTB I can get tyres on and off with my fingers. I can only assume that DT did a production run that was slightly oversize.

Now saving for flows or 819’s 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know where to buy DT 5.1 rim strips on their own?’ is closed to new replies.