• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by anc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone know what this lakes BW is like
  • el_boufador

This one here down the west side of fleetwith pike?

ta!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Quite hairy I'm told. We actually went down the FP that runs parallel, which is totally mental :o)
    Here's a pic of the BW:

ie you may have to get off a few times…

el_boufador

Cheers Simon, lovely picture!

Mental as in might-need-to-get-off-a-couple-of-times-but-still-worth-it or mental as in rubbish?

ta

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not rubbish, and much more fun than the dull road descent! As I said, I've not ridden it, so I'm relying on 2nd hand reports from other riders…

el_boufador

Thanks. What was the fp like – it's an option 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What was the fp like – it's an option

if you carry on through the album you'll see! I had to get off and push a lot, though some of the crazier riders rode most of it!

el_boufador

Bit of a self-hijack, but seeing as no-one replied to my thread here yesterday, any idea on these ones?

Bridleway(s) from Seatoller to Wasdale Head (which one of the ones dropping into Wasdale is best?)

Bridleway from Stonethwaite to Langdale via Stake Pass

Bridleway from Sty Head to Langdale (via Allen Crags and Rosset Pike)

Bridleway from Stonethwaite to Grasmere via Greenup Edge and Easdale

Bridleway from S end of Thirlmere to Watendlath via Blea Tarn

Thanks again simon you are both a gentleman and a font of all lakes route knowledge

ton

this is said BW……enjoy.

el_boufador

ooooo
    OOOOOOOO

mental indeed!

ton

and it hurts too…

boxelder

Bridleway(s) from Seatoller to Wasdale Head (which one of the ones dropping into Wasdale is best?)

The zigzaggy one on the left side of the beck

Bridleway from Stonethwaite to Langdale via Stake Pass

OK coming down, but pretty knackered and being rebuilt at the moment so a bit frustrating

Bridleway from Sty Head to Langdale (via Allen Crags and Rosset Pike)

Scenic and plenty carrying/pushing (even downhill)

Bridleway from Stonethwaite to Grasmere via Greenup Edge and Easdale

Don't go there (at least with a bike)

Bridleway from S end of Thirlmere to Watendlath via Blea Tarn

OK if you take the forest road options as far as you can. A bit indistinct towards the top – better going the other way.

Are you planning a tour? Mail me if you want suggestions

fozzyuk

MTFU 🙂

ton

what about the bw up red pike from the back of buttermere…. 😯

fozzyuk

BW and FP trading, I'll trade you the part of that 12 mile BW that turns into FP for 10 feet for 3 miles of a lovely BW in the lakes 🙂

el_boufador

boxelder – thanks!

what about the bw up red pike from the back of buttermere….

yep, know that one!!!!!

el_boufador

boxelder – in response to your q – Just looking for route options from the S end of Borrowdale which aren't the Borrowdale Bash. If you have any suggestions they'd be very welcome!

ton

seathwaite
    stockley bridge
    sty head
    sprinkling tarn
    angle tarn
    langstrath
    stonethwaite
    and a nice bit of road to ease your nerves to finish.

are you man enough???? 😉

anc
    Free Member

Using some of the stuff mentioned, on Sunday we went from keswick along the first half of the Borrowdale Bash then up the Langstrath valley, up over Stake pass(tough) onto Rosset Pike and across to Angle tarn, up to sprinkling tarn, then down to Styhead and further down to Seathwaite. Bit harsh really, lots of 'hike a bike'.Flipping Mental descending though!! Then used the cheeky footpath along the river to Grange was we didn't fancy the rest of the BB(wimps). Great day in the fells and back in one piece…Bonus!! About 5hrs in total.

As an alternative which has a little less carring we've gone. From Bowness knott in Ennerdale down to Black sail , over the pass to Wasdale then up to Styhead, drop into seathwaite(the section which drops down the stockley bridge is fantastic), up Honister pass, in at the slatemine up the access track onto the back of fleetwith(see if you can bag it 8) ) then across Moses trod to the valley head below Gable then drop back into Ennerdale and home. Great day 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know what this lakes BW is like’ is closed to new replies.