Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone know what a Salsa Mamasita
  • bur70n
    Free Member

Is like to ride, I currently have a Genesis High Latitude which started off life as a the 20 model, now is a 10×1 with upgraded brakes etc.

But have always wanted a Salsa, so have seen this model and wondered what it is like, I understand its an older model etc but would swap my bits over.

Thanks

Yak

I had one for a bit. It’s a light, quick xc bike. Imo it feels best with an 80mm fork – nice and sharp. Chainstays are slightly long compared to the current crop of xc frames, so slightly harder to manual and a fraction less nimble in tight singletrack compared to more modern xc frames. Great paintjob and looks fast standing still!

bur70n
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, so would be an improvement on the Genesis then..

Yak

Well, it will be a change to an xc hardtail from a trail hardtail. It will be lighter and will cover the ground quicker. Might be less comfy.

bur70n
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, Genesis is equipped with a 100mm travel fork so I had not thought of it as a trail bike, locally here is not overall pressing..

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 4 years and I’ve used it from general playing around use to 12 hour races. It’s quite capable of all XC duties but the one thing I would say is a must is to run it tubless with low tyre pressures. If you don’t you’ll find it’s a harsh ride compared to the High Latitude. Typically I’d be running 25psi or under on the back and around 18-19psi on the front.

If it’s just XC trail riding your doing then personally I’d stick with the High Latitude or look at the Salsa El Mariachi (do they still do it?) if it’s a Salsa you want. But if you’re looking for a race bike then the Mamasita certainly fits the bill.

bur70n
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, Suffolk isn’t overall crazy with its terrain and it’s more used for a XC blast over fields and trail roads etc. But I do use it for the commute also, would the Mamasita be too much for that…

AndrewJ
    Free Member

If you’re riding isn’t overly technical as you suggest then the Mamatisa will handle it no problem. Mine’s being used for commuting at the moment actually as I bought a Cube Reaction GTC Race a few months back. I’m using a rigid fork as my commute is mainly on cycle paths but it’s great for that.

bur70n
    Free Member

That was the plan with this, get a rigid fork for either frame…

How does the bottom bracket fair up?

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Ah yeah the BB, I’d forgot about that 🙁 I bought a PressFit 30 to BSA Adaptor Kit so I could use my existing Hope BB and XT chainset on it. I think you may have to do something similar. They’re about £20 IIRC and need pressing in but my pikey threaded bar and 2 pieces of wood headset press did this easily. I considered this a better long term option that using PF30 bearings and it’s proved to be the case as I’ve not had to change the Hope BB.

Yak

Good point – I’d forgotten too.
    I ran a sram plastic PF30 to BSA adaptor. Worked ok, but tended to ‘walk out’ on the drive side. So replaced it with a KCNC adaptor/bearing kit that used an expanding collet. That worked well. Praxis is probably the best of the bunch though.

For rigid – I also ran an on-one carbon monocoque. Perfect A-C and the yellow matched the decals on the frame perfectly 8) Rode well too with the mamasita.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Just be clear when buying an adaptor the difference between BB30 42mm shell diameter and Pressfit PF30 46mm shell diameter.

bur70n
    Free Member

Would this fit ok? http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/praxis-bottom-bracket-converter.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhtO7BRCtwuO9gfTH-fQBEiQAdJ8FY7hPNFVeSZ9b1GJ9BrfOtkrkl_RE_mu0Zspl-knyLqIaAvCg8P8HAQ

Also I would be running the Bowie Rigid fork, or are there better out there for similar money?

AndrewJ
    Free Member

I’ve not seen that particular one before but from reading the description would seem as though it fit.

I don’t know too much about rigid forks sorry.

Yak

Yes. PF30 to BSA and whatever the bb shell width is.
    I ran a 470mm a-c. The Bowie is 495mm a-c, so it will be a quite a bit taller/slacker. So about 1.25 deg slacker than I ran it. But I like things quite sharp though.

bur70n
    Free Member

Looking at forks I can do any really, wondering now what would be best in the carbon rigid world….

Yak

Niner? Been a flurry of them recently in the classifieds too.

bur70n
    Free Member

Ended up just purchasing some Formula ThirtyThree as they were super cheap….

bur70n
    Free Member

Well the frame has been purchased with a headset but will purchase the Praxis BB so to run shimano, just need some parts and should be good to go (stem, handlebar, cranks)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know what a Salsa Mamasita’ is closed to new replies.