Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone know their Commencals?
  • hora
    Free Member

I bought this from Commencal. Its all standard (decal/paint) but the decals are unique and it has a decal stating its AL SL tubing. A cancelled final incarnation of the meta5? Or simply a frame/build done for a customer who cancelled?

I’ve also emailed Commencal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30625376@N06/

One thing to note. My swing arm differs from another stw’er- its surface is box sectioned, his is smooth.

glacier79
    Free Member

It’s a standard 2010 onwards Meta 5 frame. Possibly run out decals otherwise standard fair.

unklehomered
    Free Member

my 2007 VIP Super had AL SL on it.

hora
    Free Member

(Edit)- to glacier: The decals arent new std issue Meta am/sl though hence suspicion. If it was std run out why is the 2012 version std decals?

glacier79
    Free Member

There have been 3 versions of the Meta 5. The original had a box section rear swingarm and gusseted main frame. In 2008 commencal revised the swingarm to a monocoque version similar to yours. Then in 2010, the whole bike was redesigned minus gussets and production moved to a new factory, after a dodgy 2009 batch of large/x large frames which were prone to cracking at the top/seat tube junction. My Large 2010 frame is still going strong after 3 years of regular use, great bike!

supremebean
    Free Member

The other swing arm could be carbon? My 2010 meta 55 has al front carbon rear.

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s just a standard (2012 I think) frameset Hora
    Decals are different because it was a frameset only (VIP series as they used to call them) rather than a complete build
    They have done similar standard / VIP decals / colour schemes since at least 2008 on metas and supremes

hora
    Free Member

Ah, cheers 😀

DrP

As above – VIP frameset..

Meta used to see complete bikes, called meta 5.1, 5.2 etc…
    Merlin and some other shops would build specific bikes using the VIP frame.
    At one point there was even a ‘meta uk’ version…l!

All the same frame though.

DrP

hora
    Free Member

Cheers ears 🙂

br
    Free Member

I can’t imagine that bedstead will deter many thieves, and sort the kitchen out. 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

glacier 79 is correct in every respect.

I’ve had the ’09 Meta UK (Large – which snapped as described)
    and the ’10 as a warrenty replacement (XL)
    The ’10 onwards bikes are in a different league re build quality.

hora
    Free Member

The attention to detail ‘gets me’. The top of the seat tube is thin (standard) for circa 1 inch then immediately bells out thicker internally. That’d cost abit I imagine, never mind the flute at the back/lower down the seat tube etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know their Commencals?’ is closed to new replies.