Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anyone know the thread size and pitch of Fox Float 34 Damper and Air Shafts?
  • squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Time for a refresh of the forks.

Always used to loosen the bottom nuts a couple of turns and give them a sharp tap with a rubber mallet (seem to recall that Rockshox used to recommend this).

Fox though suggest using their damper removal tools – basically a lump of metal with a female thread at a cost of 2 x £27 which sound a bit steep.

From google it appears that the weakest link are the aluminium nuts with a good chance of wrecking theads if the nut is undone too far or hit too hard.

I was thinking that a cheaper alternative would be to get hold of a threaded coupler or even a suitably sized nut or two.

So what are the thread sizes. At least one is a M8 – I think the thread pitch is non-standard – possibly M8 x 1.0? Is the other M10 x 1.25?

Before someone says you’ve got at an expensive fork, use the proper tools. The removal tools are out of stock at Mojo.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Naah, they’ll be fine. Just don’t go mental with the hammers. They certainly don’t require a huge tap on Float 32s to unseat, I doubt very much if thats changed significantly.
    I usually undo the foot nuts completely, remove the crush washer from the nut (it can cause the nut to bind on the threads and then the whole damper assembly turns, not just the nut) and then reinstall the foot nut until its almost done up and give it a tap, undo a little more, tap and then unscrew the foot nut. You may need to give the damper shaft a final tap, but only a gentle one to finally free it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know the thread size and pitch of Fox Float 34 Damper and Air Shafts?’ is closed to new replies.