Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone know the conditions at the Altura Trail Whinlatter?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I am supposed to be heading there tomorrow morning with a very mixed group of riders and wondered what the conditions are?

Alot of snow could cause a few problems!

anc
    Free Member

No significant snow in lakes as yet the tops have a little. Whinlatter will but totally frozen up(-5c last night), which means its very grippy with odd ice patch to watch out for. So conditions excellent 😉 Not much chance of snow till sunday looking at the forecast, wouldn’t let that worry you though its excellent in the snow as long as its not 2 ft deep like last winter. The pass is the main problem if it snows, but you can park at the bottom and ride up if that’s the case.

gothandy

Here is a video from last year, doing Whinlatter in the snow. It was excellent fun, despite being officially “closed”. This was under about 4 inches. As it says above we did have to ride up the road to get there which was a slog.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oMYNop7Ko[/video]

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Mental Mickey-already checked those but was looking for more actual trail info but thanks anyway.

Thanks anc and gothandy! Looks like we should be Ok then!

anc
    Free Member

Just a wee update. It’s snowed here in cockermouth overnight so I should think whinlatters covered. Have fun 😀

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Yep – snow in Keswick – should be fun up on the tops today 😀

1nten5e
    Free Member

How is it looking today? supposed to be riding up there tomorrow

boxelder

I suspect it won’t be much fun Monday – weekends snow will be cut up and then it will freeze. Our side (NW) of the pass hasn’t been gritted, but they normally clear the keswick side.

anc
    Free Member

I’ll be fine, road up from cockermouth and did a lap today. The snow is so dry and powery and it didn’t get above freezing today therefore its not melting and re-freezing yet. Great fun and plenty of grip. Cockermouth side is covered in snow as boxelder says. Keswick side has been treated but it was snowing again before(cockermouth) so it may be dodgy in the morning.

1nten5e
    Free Member

Was ok today, great fun, surprisingly grippy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know the conditions at the Altura Trail Whinlatter?’ is closed to new replies.