Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone know shock eye to eye length for SC 2007 Heckler
  • scud
    Free Member

I’m off to the Alps in June and currently ride 29er hardtail but have been offered a SC 2007 Heckler frame for a decent price.

As it is only going to be used for Alps duties, i’m thinking of fitting a coil shock, anyone happen to know the eye to eye length of the shock on this so that I can have a look at trying to price how much a complete build is going to cost me?

Thanks again STW wisdom..

somouk
    Free Member

Drop the guys from Santa Cruz an email, they’ll be back to you in no time.

Albanach
    Free Member

If you’ve not already got it I’ll measure it at home this evening after work.

kayak23

200mm….I seem to recall on mine
    99.99999999% sure (could be wrong) 😕

Bregante

From the Santa cruz website. (FAQ)

What size shock does the Heckler use?
    8.5″ x 2.5″ (216x 63mm)
    The mounting hardware is 22mm wide with an 8mm through hole.

http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/heckler

Edit. Not sure whether it’s changed in last few years, so this is probably of no use 😳

bbb
    Free Member

Both the Heckler 5.0 and 6.0 were produced in 2007.
    If it is a 5.0 then the dimensions are 200 * 57
    If it is a 6.0 then the dimensions are 216 * 63

Heckler 5.0

Heckler 6.0

scud
    Free Member

It is the earlier shape, the 5.0.

Thanks for all the advice, any of you guys own one, make a good Alps bike?

I’m 5’10” so right on the cusp of fitting between medium and large and was told that they TT length is pretty short?

Also, anyone had experience with using off-set bushings to lower the BB height and slacken it slightly?

mikey74
    Free Member

I have a 200×57 coil shock you can buy if you want – a brand new Elka stage 5.

bbb
    Free Member

Great Alps bike – really simple, robust and predictable.
    I am in the fortunate position to have adopted another 5.0, so now I have two: one is a large and the other a Med and I am also 5’10”.

The large climbs better than the med, but the medium is more fun on the downhills.

I like them both equally and to be honest there isn’t much to choose between them size wise. The standover is virtually identical and the main difference manifests itself in the top tube length (the large is 20mm longer).

I haven’t ever felt the need to use short shocks or offset bushings as both these frames just feel ‘right’ when I ride them – predictable and forgiving and fun – what all bikes should be.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive had 2 5’s and a 6. Great Alpine bike, 5 TT is shortish and BB lowish, offset bushings would be pedal banging possible compromise though as front end is ‘not slack’, 150+mm forks better IME.

first one-

2nd one original spec

2nd one Alped up

3rd Elcheapo one

joolsburger
    Free Member

Took mine 5.0 to the Alps last year. I’m 5’11 and it’s a medium with a 70mm stem and 130mm forks and it worked for me, confidence inspiring. Didn’t use a coil just an rp3 which was fine (ish) bit lumpy in big compressions it blew through quite easily and needed a bit of extra PSI.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks again for all the advice.

I can feel a purchase coming on!

Mikey 74 how much did you want for the Elka?

mikey74
    Free Member

£300 posted O.N.O.. It’s brand new, never even fitted.

The shock retails for £470, but I am aware that the warranty only applies to the original owner, and that you may have to get new mounting hardware and get it tuned to the bike it’s going on, assuming the current tuning isn’t suitable (although according to spreadsheet on the Elka website it is the same tuning – MC30, MR30).

mikey74
    Free Member

Oops, forgot: e-mail mikek@skylinecad.plus.plus.com if you are interested.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know shock eye to eye length for SC 2007 Heckler’ is closed to new replies.