Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone know of a better 26" hardtail for under £400 than this… (PSA inc)
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b156s2p8070/GENESIS_Core_100_Front_Suspension_Mountain_Bike_2013/RS_GB/24297?gclid=CMnl7qeD-7kCFWOWtAodsxAA8A

Okay the fork will be pants, but that can easily be upgraded at a later date (or straight away knowing me). Everything else seems perfectly adequate for general XC/Trail use. Been looking at getting a used hardtail for similar money, but this is sorely tempting me.

devash
    Free Member
    winch
    Free Member

£405 with the 10% discount they have on at the moment and a better spec than either of those I reckon, might even be able to use the fork for a while before upgrade.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_927849_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#tab2

I’d buy used though.

Northwind

Rockrider 80 is also a wee bit above the budget, but the fork is a step up from the XCM and most other bits are either comparable or a bit better.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80-mountain-bike-orange-black-id_8206681.html#avantages

6079smithw
    Free Member
    plyphon
    Free Member

under £400

For an extra £50

at £449

THIS IS HOW IT STARTS, RUN NOW AND TAKE YOU WALLET TO SAFETY

winch
    Free Member

THIS IS HOW IT STARTS, RUN NOW AND TAKE YOU WALLET TO SAFETY

Alright then, I’ll do better than that. Get the voodoo (£404.99) through topcashback for £399.53!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Hmm the Voodoo at 399 looking favourite now! Saw the Cube at £370 somewhere else but don’t really see why it is a whole lot more bike at all, what have I missed? Great, thanks for the input guys

chip
    Free Member

I have a voodoo hoodoo and I think it great for the money.

I think they have changed the fork from air to coil losing the remote lock out, so I could not comment on the new fork.
    But the brakes work well and the alvio components work very well too.
    I thought about replacing them but don’t see the point, I will wait for them to wear out first,

steffy-boy
    Free Member

The GT with Tora fork mix of XT/Deore running gear. It’s a steal!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I had the GT above, it’s a cracking little bike with a good spec too. Just a mention though the small comes with a curved top tube not straight like the one pictured:

wilko1999
    Free Member

Need a large/19/20ish frame so the GT is out. Shame they went to a coil on the Hoodoo, seems like a bit of a step back from the air version. Still looks like the best package though, but the Genesis still looks good and although the Cube doesn’t appeal much it’s still a good option.

Chip, how tall are you and what size Hoodoo are you on?

matt_outandabout

Second hand all the way!
    £250? Why that gets you a solid Specialized frame, Fox TALAS, SLX brakes, X9 / X7 drivetrain and Crossmax wheels.

2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

wilko1999
    Free Member

Been looking at 2nd hand Rockhoppers funnily enough Matt for around the £300 mark, but for that I’m looking at approx 5 years old, something like a Comp, but finding one local, decent condition etc is not easy. In fact finding anything right size, semi- decent spec, great condition etc is proving tough. Hence looking at something new. It doesn’t have to be top spec, this will be a second bike – winter/general XC/baby seat/canal tow-path family rides type bike

matt_outandabout

Have you tried a wanted on here?
    That blue bike was via that, to a long term STW forum user, so worth a punt on an hours drive that it would be as described…
    Also, go for condition not age. I would rather have a much older bike that is great nick. Yes the geometry tends to be a bit steeper, but nothing too different, especially on HT bikes.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Crickey Jools you really went for it there! Thanks for your help

chip
    Free Member

I am 5’9″ and mines 18 inch.
    If you go to halfords they shoild have one built in either 18 or 20.
    And you can have a test ride to see if that is the wrong or right size for you .

I keep my chain well mantained and it shifts no Better or worse than the xt set up I have on another bike.
    The brakes stop very well, on my bike with xt brakes I can stop very quickly without locking them up where as the tektro brakes on the hoodoo do lock up easier if you are to heavy handed but on the whole are very good.

As I said earlier I was thinking of swapping out the crank for slx or xt but I think the only benefit would be shedding a little bit of weight as everything works great so I don’t see it being worth the expense until it wears out.

The only things I have changed on mine is the front tyre for a bit more grip, seat for flexier rails as I have a temperamental back and pedals as the originals one started clicking after 6 months or so as I smashed it up
    a bit.

I have read some people saying the thought that the coils where a better option but I could not say as I have never tried them.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Thanks for the information Chip, very useful. At 6’1 I’m thinking the 20″ would probably be the one for me, although I’ve got stumpy legs/long torso syndrome so I’m not 100%. Luckily my local Halfords have both in stock so I’m going to nip in later to try them out for size.

ichabod
    Free Member

Yeah for £400 second hand all the way – you can pick up a really nice hard tail for that!

peterfile
    Free Member

matt, are you selling that?

matt_outandabout

Nope, just bought it. But Mr Leigh of this parish may have a bargain if an ickle bike that is about to be for sale that I turned down….

wilko1999
    Free Member

Matt, not tried a WTD for this, tried them before with other stuff to no success. I would go second-hand but it’s not that straightforward, if I could find something local, right size, decent-ish spec, good condition etc then great but its not happening, been looking for a while

chip
    Free Member

Halfords normally have a bike built for display purposes. The bikes shown In there stock levels are boxed still requiring a certain amount of assembly.
    Which they will do for you once you place your order, normally for the next day, depending how busy they are.

There staff/mechanics can be hit or miss, I have had both good and bad experieces with them.
    I think they know there stuff it’s just down to some having a poor attitude.

winch
    Free Member

Just a little heads up, since you’re tall. I’ve looked at the cube, voodoo and genesis and they all have bottle cage mounts on the seat tube. This means you’ll only be able to get the seat post down so far. I like to be able to ride with the saddle slammed when doing anything jumpy so this would rule out any of those frames straight away for me. Not an issue for everyone though I realise.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Interesting point Winch cheers

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know of a better 26" hardtail for under £400 than this… (PSA inc)’ is closed to new replies.