Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone know if i can hire a car from NYC and hand it back in Montreal in Canada.
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Planning a trip next summer and it seems difficult to find this fact out.
    We want to see relatives in NYC then drive up to Mont St Anne for the World cup mtb.
    Fly from there to Vancouver the Whister for Crankworx.

Any tips? Or just fly from NYC to Canada then hire a car once up there?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Long distance one way car hire is possible but a pita even within the US due to state by state car registration. Not cheap from memory. Into Canada maybe just too hard. From my time living in the US I love a road trip but flying is likely to be best, use the time saved to drive up Conneticut coast, Maine or into Vermont ? Return car to rental
    spot (outside of nyc take a train somewhere)

tonyg2003

Well I’d just fly from NYC to Quebec City. I’ve done this before and it’s a pretty easy flight from La Guardia.

Driving out of NYC is a complete pain if you land at JFK, Newark is easier but it’s then 600 miles to Quebec.

fatmax

I’ve done Seattle to LA one way before. Do-able but not cheap!

hot_fiat

Fly. It’s further than you think. Perhaps even fly to Ottawa and drive up from there.

I also don’t think it’s possible to cross the US/Canada border with a hire vehicle. Wife and I did the 101 a few weeks ago and I seem to recall that they’d put a stop to it, particulatly if you’re not a us citizen. The 1-way hire premium is also painful. We got a Kia Forgettable for £500 for 18 days then got stung with a small print $350 1 way surcharge at collection.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know if i can hire a car from NYC and hand it back in Montreal in Canada.’ is closed to new replies.