Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone know anything about wifi/ip cameras?
  • josh1982
    Free Member

I connected one up via ethernet in the mrs shop this afternoon. Logged on this eveving and will not connect?

Was fine when my laptop was on same network, now im home, nothing!

when i go back tomorrow will it be ok again to then not be ok when i leave?

On another note……googled how to reset router passwords and singletrack forum came up 3rd on google and i used the info…..guess what it worked! we are and amazing bunch of knowledge aren’t we?!

Thanks in advance for your help with this tech query?

jam-bo

at a guess it uses a non-standard port to communicate and thats getting blocked somewhere betweeen there and where you are.

josh1982
    Free Member

how do i fix this then? what is a non-standard port?

josh1982
    Free Member

left hanging

elzorillo
    Free Member

I assume you have..

A. a static ip at the shop (Or used dyndns or similar)

B. opened up the router to allow pass through to the camera..

C. connected to the external ip of the router and not the internal one used whilst in the store..

josh1982
    Free Member

i will check this tomorrow. thanks for the tips……i may be back tomorrow to ask for more help.

josh1982
    Free Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f3mayyil70ez98/IP%20Camera%20User%20Guide.pdf

This is the instruction manual…..not the best.

josh1982
    Free Member

still no luck……opened up router to let traffic in.

still nothing. hate stuff like this!

willard

I had a similar problem and ended up setting up a VPN endpoint on the home network to avoid exposing the (probably) vulnerability ridden IP cam webserver to the internet.

If I want to see what my dogs are doing, I open up the VPN, connect to the camer and see that the little sods are asleep.

allthepies
    Free Member

How are you accessing the IP camera ?

Sounds like you’re using an IP address which is local to the network on which the camera is installed. But won’t work when on the internet.

e.g. http://192.168.0.10

josh1982
    Free Member

Yeah that’s about right……..what should it be?

jam-bo

Team viewer onto a pc on the right network and view it from there

willard

The 192.x.x.x IP address can’t be resolved from a computer on another network, just trust me on that.

What you need to do is get the router at the shop to register for dyndns or similar, then get the port the IP cam is on (8001 or something) forwarded to the IP cam’s internal IP address.

That sounds complicated now I type it. It seems so simple in my head, but I hve had a couple of glasses f red.

josh1982
    Free Member

Cheers Willard…..will have another go one night this week……had kinda come to the thinking I need to do something with dyndns.

Dobbo

Google “what’s my IP” for websites that give you your external IP address.
    You then need to get though your router, I used DMZ to get through mine DMZ on netgear. Works fine I can access the camera and drive it and zoom etc.

Not all routers will let you do this, I.e. if you have a standard ISP free issue router

josh1982
    Free Member

its an old white bt home hub if that makes any odds?

ihopeyoulikeit555
    Free Member

I know a bit about IP cameras. You might try Foscam cam. Read this review. ALso there are many other cams but i find this most cheapest + very good + motion detector.

ihopeyoulikeit555
    Free Member

Also I’d like to add that you might look into different versions of Foscam. Some are $60 and some are $100 but it’s still cheap. You don’t need to pay additionally for software which is good thing.

footflaps

its an old white bt home hub if that makes any odds?

Try this: http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_portforwarding.html

Basically you have to set a rule on your router to tell it where to forward an incoming IP packet to. This is because you can have multiple machines on your home/shop (private) side of the router, but you only have a single ip address externally.

Port mapping is used to solve this problem, an incoming IP packet has a destination IP address (your router) and a Port number. The router has a table of which port maps to which machine on your private LAN, and will swap the destination IP address of itself to that of the target PC on the private side, so your incoming request finds the IP camera and not your laptop, or PS3 etc.

So if your IP camera has an IP 172.24.0.5 and you connect via http, which is port 80 and your external (public) ip address is 1.1.1.1 (for example), you need to pick a random port, say 8081 and map:

1.1.1.1:8081 to 172.24.0.5:80

To externally access the webcam you point a web browser at:

http://1.1.1.1:8081

You need the ‘:8081’ to add the port number otherwise it will default to 80.

It all seems a bit complex, but if you had multiple web cameras you could map them all thus:

1.1.1.1:8081 to 172.24.0.5:80
    1.1.1.1:8082 to 172.24.0.6:80
    1.1.1.1:8083 to 172.24.0.7:80

and now you can pick one of three webcams, all using the same single external ip address.

josh1982
    Free Member

Seems mega confusing but will try my hardest this weekend when I go down. Thanks again!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about wifi/ip cameras?’ is closed to new replies.