• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • anyone know anything about residential parking laws?
  • renton
    Free Member

hi all im after some advice here.

basically in my close there are 6 parking slots at the side of my house for the 6 houses in my row.

now we are having problems with people leaving transit vans and lorries adjacent to these slots making it very hard to get in or out of the proper slots.

the people that leave there vans etc don't even live on this estate!! they just park up and walk round to there own estate.

the one bloke leaves his car and a ford transit in our close overnight even though he has got his own drive.

im sure its because th residents in there own estate would tell them to bugger off if they were to try and park vans and stuff round there!!

we even get the moms dumping there cars up here too when dropping little william or tenisha off at school…. so thy havent got as far to walk!!(at one point they were parking on the grass outside my house!!)

the traffice we get for such a small close is getting so bad that it is ripping up the road surface!!

are there any laws or any suggestions on what we can do to stop it??

the council say as long as the vehicles are tax etc they cant stop them, but im sure the councilors wouldn't like it if it was happening to them!!

any ideas!!

cheers

steve

renton
    Free Member

sometimes i get so fed up with it i come close to parking in his drive !!

Elmo
    Free Member

Check your Small print.

Some newer estates with allocated parking don't allow commercial vehicles.

If this doesn't aaply to you, it may aaply to them. Thats why they're parking there.

If its taxed thers a not a lot you an do.

I can't park outside my house, i have to park around the corner.

It happens. Part of the rich tapestry of life! 😛

renton
    Free Member

its not that i understand that its taxed etc.

my point is that it makes it very difficult to park in the spaces as he is sort of shortening the length of road you have to line the car up to get into the slot!!
    ??
    if you see what i mean

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds annoying but as you can still access your parking bay then not alot you can do.

renton
    Free Member

her is a piccys showing one of the vans that parks up here most nights!!……….

for some reason my camera has made the picture look wider than it is.

when there are 6 cars parked in the slots on the left it becomes very difficult to move around.

this picture shows the other end of the street and how far the vans stick into the road!!………….

Ewan
    Free Member

let his tyres down? Do it a couple of times and he'll decide the area is dodgy and avoid it.

Obviously, that would probably be illegal but…

Smee
    Free Member

You could manoeuvre and artic to park in those spaces. Stop moaning.

renton
    Free Member

do you want to tell the 2 disabled drivers that you ****!!

WTF
    Free Member

Why don`t you park where van instead ?
    Or if you have disabled persons as you say staying there then get the council to make that spot for disabled drivers only stating the difficulties they are experiencing..
    I think that your local council are really the only ones to change the situation for you.
    Persevere.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To be fair, the space available seems really quite big for moving cars – if anyone has trouble parking with that amount of space, should they be allowed to drive? NOt trying to be obtuse, just saying it as I see it.

I think the only way you would have a case would be if it was resident's only or if the vehicles were causing a real obstruction/parking illegally.

I would suggest chilling about it (we all get parking problems) but watching the vans closely and reporting any that have out of date tax, bald tyres etc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are NO residential parking laws….well, not that I know of any that particularly apply to you being a bit cheesed off about someone making your life difficult.. It looks like yours is an established estate, yes? If the roads are adopted by the council, then as long as there are no double yellows, dropped kerbs for access, or "keep clear" signs painted on the road, then nobody's doing anything wrong. Most estates (even the ones nowadays, but that's more about **** developers) were built assuming every house would have one car. Nowadays, most seem to have two and if there's a tradesman there, you can get three per house.

Like rats in a box, as soon as we start to impinge on anyone else's perceived "spot" everyone gets a bit tetchy. You don't own the land beyond your front gate (apart from, I guess, that space allocated to your car) and so have no jurisdiction over it. We all like to think we kinda own the road outside our houses, but we don't in most cases. Try and live and let live. If it becomes a major problem, then a friendly word with the perps might help? And do what m_f says, keep an eye out for anything on the car/van that's illegal and report it.

Failing that, a note on the windscreen threatening damage might scare them off (not that I'd ever recommend actually carrying out the threat) but someone else will take their place.

footflaps

You could petition the council for Double Yellow lines in the close?

Drac

How much room do you need?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘anyone know anything about residential parking laws?’ is closed to new replies.