Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone know anything about petrol mowers?
  • dashed
    Free Member

Need one… How much will it cost me for something decent that will last a while and isn’t made of tinfoil and cheap plastic?? Trying to avoid B&Q own brand specials etc as I don’t want to have to buy a new one every year but don’t want to stretch to the full professional type kit…

Any thoughts??

DezB
    Free Member

Having used a rechargeable battery mower, I reckon petrol ones are old hat.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You won’t when the battery keels over in 100 cycles and you need to buy a new one at 2/3 the price of the mower.

donsimon
    Free Member

HSS Hire shops used to use Honda. I think you’ll find that they’re quite robust and up to the job.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Honda. That’s all you need to know.

Markie
    Free Member

Honda. Great machines.

dashed
    Free Member

Aye, but £700-800 quid for a Honda isn’t it??

Markie
    Free Member

They do a huge range… 18″ self propelled(wheels/rotary not roller) for about £400 new, cheaper on eBay used of course.

Mine was five or six years old when I got it from my FiL, done another five since and still the sweetness.

tyke
    Free Member

There are 2 types of Honda motor – not sure what the difference is between the models – IZY is the cheaper version.

I bought one from MowDirect about 4 years ago still going strong.

Honda self propelled mowers– give them a call to see what they say.

dashed
    Free Member

Yikes, the roller versions are waaaaay more, eh??! And I wanted stripes 😐

DezB
    Free Member

You won’t when the battery keels over in 100 cycles and you need to buy a new one at 2/3 the price of the mower.

Thats ok, the mower was free 🙂

flowerman
    Free Member

Look at hayter harrier I’ve had one for 9 years and use it most weeks

mandog

I got s Honda, about £400 or so 2 years ago. No regrets here.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yikes, the roller versions are waaaaay more, eh??! And I wanted stripes

You still get stripes without the roller, just nowhere near as pronounced.

Anything with a Briggs & Stratton engine, tried and tested. Mine’s 10 years old and still going strong.

flip
    Free Member

I run a grounds maintenance company and wouldn’t buy anything but Honda.

You can get a 465 self propel IZY for about £400, it’ll last you a lifetime of domestic use if it’s looked after, and will start everytime.

Anything else is false economy.

Honda Garden

donsimon
    Free Member

I run a grounds maintenance company and wouldn’t buy anything but Honda.

You’d choose a Honda over something like a Ransomes? That’s one hell of a recommendation for a mower.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mountfield with a Briggs and Stratton motor. About 10 years old now and just serviced for the first time this winter (never had big gardens though). It was about £100 to £120 back then. Looking at their website you can still get a similar thing for not much more.

http://www.mountfieldlawnmowers.co.uk/?gclid=CPvViaX-qLECFUdvfAodwjoAjg

flip
    Free Member

You’d choose a Honda over something like a Ransomes? That’s one hell of a recommendation for a mower.

Indeed.

Ransomes don’t make anything for my needs, Honda on the other hand make a full range thats why i’ve got lots of them.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ransomes don’t make anything for my needs

That would be grass, wouldn’t it? And grass that needs ocassional cutting? I thought Ransomes made lawn mowers so that should do the job. And my question was obviously about quality, so would you recommend a Honda over a Ransomes on the quality stakes rather than your personal need?

beanieripper
    Free Member

simple… either buy a cheap as chips petrol jobbie and dispose of it every 2 years or as you have been advised…. buy a Honda… Briggs and Stratton are cr@p…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Briggs and Stratton are cr@p.

Based on what?

As I’ve said, mine is still running sweet after 10 years of cutting the grass in two sets of gardens week in week out (twice a week in peak growing conditions).

jam-bo

either buy a cheap as chips petrol jobbie and dispose of it every 2 years

mine still going 5yrs later. had to spend £20 on a new coil last month but thats not bad going.

however if I was mowing grass professionally then I may have a different approach…

beanieripper
    Free Member

ive had cheapo 100 quid argos mowers work out cheaper per cut than B&S engined mowers, and last longer hayters are just overpriced for the quality you get and honda engines just last longer and run better and are made from inherently better materials..simples…

meehaja
    Free Member

Mine is orange, with white racing stripes. like a classic car, it takes a special knack to start and smells awesome!

jordie
    Free Member

what about the Qualcast roller great for stripes

the_lecht_rocks

Stilhl Viking here. Great machine. A good as a honda, who knows….?

porter_jamie

briggs and stratton = lots and lots of hassle, ime

Honda = never have to lay a spanner on it.

beanieripper
    Free Member

porter_jamie speaks the truth

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

B&Q one has been fault free for two years with all signs of continuing that way.

The 40 year old Suffolk Colt was still doing the job when I sold it on (moved house and no room to store it and no grass) and had nothing other than a couple of sharpens and the oil changed. Doubt whether there’ll be too many 40 year old Hondas sold on e-bay in a few decades.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Had a Honda Izy which got knicked, got a Mountfield which was never as good and finally wore out after about 6 or 7 years and got another Honda Izy. They feel more solid and are easy to start. They were doing a cashback deal earlier in the year when I got mine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about petrol mowers?’ is closed to new replies.