Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone know anything about exhausts?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I was told by the chap in the garage last month that my exhaust is blowing a bit (i assume that not great), now its in for its MOT on Friday, so does that automatically mean a new exhaust?

Replaced the exhaust about 4-5 years ago with some super duper stainless one (it was the only one that would fit my car), seems a bit shit that it could have rusted through already as it had a lifetime guarantee (not that I have the receipt of course, nor even remember where I bought it!)

or might it simply be a case of one of the connectors coming lose and a bit of goo to stick it all back together?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My exhaust was blowing and failed its MOT.

Had a look myself and was starting to rust away so just got the section replaced.

4 to 5 years isn’t bad fir an exhaust. Only stainless ones can be guaranteed for life

andrewh
    Free Member

Mine was doing that, on the flexi join bit. He said because he can’t weld the flexi join it would need a new exhaust section, about a third of the whole thing.
    This happened to be the middle third with the cat. It was an uncommon car, Hyundai Trajet. Looked it up on the computer, no else does after-market bits for it, have to be a genuine Hyundai part. £825. Plus fitting.
    Took it to another garage to see if they could do better. Called two hours later. “We’ve welded it up. Probably won’t last the year though. That’ll be £15 please”
    It lasted 9 months and gave me penty of time to find a brand new section on ebay for £160 which they were happy to fit.
    Anyway, a bit of welding should sort you out. Not sure about goo, it gets pretty hot.

landcruiser
    Free Member

If it is stainless then it won’t have rusted. Most likely either blowing at a joint or could be a mild steel section or down pipe if the entire system is not stainless. Should be easy to find out.

Edit: is this on a modern or a classic ?

somafunk

If you fitted a full stainless exhaust in the past few years and it is now blowing then either it was not stainless or the seams on one of the silencers have split/came apart or perhaps it is just a loose connection that needs resealed, if a seam has came apart the manufacturers stamp should be on the exhaust somewhere and if so then get in touch with them.

falkirk-mark

holts gun gum till you can get a proper fix.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Its certainly not a classic car, its a 2001 Ibiza, but because its the cupra model the exhaust is a 400 quid piece of kit. The cars only worth about 500 I reckon, used for sole purpose of transporting my bikes, so I’m hoping that its only a seal and relatively cheap!

Good call soma, I’ll ask them to attempt to find out who made the exhaust and maybe get in touch with the manufacturer.

somafunk

If it’s a 2001 Ibiza then i’d wager on it being a jetex or a miltek stainless exhaust, it may be from the turbo back in which case it may be leaking from the connection at the cat, there are quite a few parts to this system and as i doubt you have a cat bypass (if you do you would have mentioned 😉 ) i imagine it may be a case of a loose or worn flange connection. A stainless exhaust will not leak nor wear through in normal use.

jam-bo

I had my Jetex on my golf welded up a couple of times where it was blowing on a join. Ten minute job at my local back street welder.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about exhausts?’ is closed to new replies.