Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone know anything about car electrics? (Scrote content)
  • Grizla
    Free Member

The Mrs car was broken into at the weekend, no visible damage caused but the drivers door now won’t lock or unlock remotely, and the window and mirror adjust buttons on the door don’t work. The other doors and the boot still lock/unlock remotely.

Presumably this is a result of the way they got the car unlocked, but I don’t even know where to begin fixing it. Any ideas?

hammyuk
    Free Member

They’ve dated the wiring internally on the door.
    Open it, remove all the trim and go from there.

ell_tell
    Free Member

What car is it?

I replaced the battery in my remote key fob on a Mazda. Unfortunately I left it so long I think with a new battery the fob no longer unlocked the car – I think it must have wiped the momory or something. However, I was able to re-programme the fob myself using an online guide I found so you might be able to do something similar?

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like damage to the wiring between the door pillar and the door. Maybe caused by something being shoved down the window seal and damaging the wires inside the door.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

+1 for damage to wiring (and possibly the lock mechanism) inside the door during the process of shoving a coathanger or equivalent down between the seal and the window to pop the door open.

Grizla
    Free Member

Hmmm, never thought about something being shoved in the window seal.
    I assumed they had some highly technical way of opening the door.

Cheers guys.

hammyuk, not sure what you mean by dated the wiring?

ell_tell, thanks, but I don’t think that is it. the fob still works on the other doors.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

not sure what you mean by dated the wiring

Pretty sure that’s an autocorrected version of damaged.

My wife’s car was broken into (to steal my bike but that’s beside the point) and it was a similar story, no visible damage but the door wouldn’t unlock on the fob. The problem was that one of the lock linkages inside the door had been knocked off by whatever they had shoved down there to pop the door open. Once I fixed back on it all worked fine again.
    In your case it sounds like some wiring has been damaged too, either way I’ll bet if you take the door panel off you’ll see what’s up.

molgrips
    Free Member

What car, out of interest?

Grizla
    Free Member

Mk5 Astra.

robinlaidlaw, cheers. fingers crossed then.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about car electrics? (Scrote content)’ is closed to new replies.